PDA

View Full Version : NYCA volunteer trip to Haiti

threeholerglory
2010-01-14, 01:14 PM
American Airlines is covering air travel for volunteers to provide disaster relief in Haiti. We are planning on going Tuesday of next week or later depending on when these flights leave. As of right now details are scarce but as they arrive I will continue to post updates. Despite the lack of detail, the more interest we can build the better. We will be trying to get in touch with Red Cross to gather information regarding accomodations and health concerns for our trip. We are trying to plan on staying three to four days. If anyone can gather more information, please share it as this could be an incredible opportunity to change many lives. Thanks!

mirrodie
2010-01-14, 03:32 PM
I read posts on facebook about this. What is the number to call?

I am debating whether I can get away and go there but it would not be until next weekend.

hiss srq
2010-01-14, 03:50 PM
Mario, the number is 212-697-9767. That is the number AA is using for this releif program. Me and Mike are trying to find an organization to allign with to go down and volunteer for as on our own we couldnt offer much resources. If you have any ideas or helpful info it would be appreciated.

Ryan

threeholerglory
2010-01-14, 03:57 PM
Apparently the Red Cross is no longer sending people down, and they require months of training before anyone can go. I am working with a Lutheran group to try and find arrangements on the ground in Haiti if nothing else. I have had no luck with AA to find out about their special airfare down there, so if anyone else finds anything, post it up! I will be keeping the information flowing as I receive it. Again, the more people we can gather the better!!!

Matt Molnar
2010-01-14, 04:05 PM
I believe AA is only offering free flights to doctors.

mirrodie
2010-01-14, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info.

My cousin, a med student, just purchased her ticket. I have to discuss with wifey this evening and take it from there.

mirrodie
2010-01-14, 04:11 PM
threeholer, bring a tent. Seriously.

the following is what a relative sent me:

I finally got direct contact from home. My brother-in law just called from the doctor's office to be treated for some minor wounds to the leg and arm. He was using the doctor's cell phone. The family is ok, no one was hurt even though he had to pull them from under the debris. The house collapsed and they had been sleeping in their cars. The neighbour across the street whose house was not damaged is helping but no one sleeps in their homes, those who still have homes. He can't use the car since the keys were in the house but a friend came to visit this morning in a motorcycle and was able to take him to the doctor's. For food, they buy stuff on the street and get help from the neighbour. I told him that internationl help is on the way but he has not seen anything yet. I am going to work today, staying in the house is depressing. With such destruction, it is a miracle that they all came out alive.

So I dont know what accommodations are like but a tent sounds feasible. And its hot down there usually.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-14, 04:13 PM
I don't know what y'all's backgrounds are (aside from Mario) but I would only recommend going down there at this point if you're a trained professional, otherwise you'll probably just get in the way and put yourself in grave danger (and possibly others if they have to go help you out of a sticky situation) for no good reason. It's great that you want to help, but this isn't going away anytime soon. If you're not a doctor or paramedic but you want to go help in person, I would highly recommend waiting until things are cleaned up a bit in a few months.

hiss srq
2010-01-14, 04:46 PM
In another very unfortuneate and quite enraging twist on events it is now being reported that the free air travel offer for volunteer services to Haiti is a hoax. It is unknown where it origionated from but it leaves me quite angry and frustrated. I am sorry for any confusion presented on the boards by this folks.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/14/twit ... google_cnn (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/14/twitter.hoax.haiti/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn)

threeholerglory
2010-01-14, 04:58 PM
Unbelievable....I know the Lutheran church in New Jersey has already sent people down to volunteer and they are on the ground now, which would have been my connection to allow for our involvement. However, it appears based off the CNN article Ryan posted above that even getting there will be impossible for quite some time. Along with the "free" travel down there, this would have been a great thing to be involved with. As stated above, this is not going away any time soon so a future trip is all we can hope for. It is beyond depressing to think that people exist who start rumors as far-fetched as the free tickets and I hope whomever started said rumors is punished accordingly. Regardless, let's keep this going as I am sure we can come together as an organization and still provide aid in some form or another until the opportunity to take a trip there is more feasible. My condolences go out to anyone who has family or friends who were affected by this disaster. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

T-Bird76
2010-01-14, 05:15 PM
FAA has halted all flights into Haiti. No fuel on the ground and lack of ramp space.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/01/1 ... tml?hpt=T2 (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/01/14/faa.haiti.flights/index.html?hpt=T2)

USAF Pilot 07
2010-01-14, 05:51 PM
I'm all for the desire to volunteer to go down to Haiti and help with relief efforts (I would jump in line to do so), but I think it's important we don't get ahead of ourselves.

The area from all accounts is a disaster area. There could be up to 500,000 dead; a majority of the country is uninhabitable and there are very limited resources.

While the desire to go down and help is very noble and an awesome display of "humanity", I think it's important that volunteers for the time being are limited to medical professionals and those with training in dealing with mass disaster and who are trained to deal or operate in situations and conditions like the ones that exist. I'm not so sure people realize the extent of how things are down there, and once they get down there the situation would be so overwhelming (living in a tent among other people, no showers, diseases, pre-packaged meals, no amenities etc...) that even well intentioned - with minimal training - would be in over their heads and become more of a hamper than help to relief efforts.

I think Matt makes a good point in waiting until things get a little more cleaned up to volunteer....

emshighway
2010-01-14, 07:28 PM
I'm all for the desire to volunteer to go down to Haiti and help with relief efforts (I would jump in line to do so), but I think it's important we don't get ahead of ourselves.

The area from all accounts is a disaster area. There could be up to 500,000 dead; a majority of the country is uninhabitable and there are very limited resources.

While the desire to go down and help is very noble and an awesome display of "humanity", I think it's important that volunteers for the time being are limited to medical professionals and those with training in dealing with mass disaster and who are trained to deal or operate in situations and conditions like the ones that exist. I'm not so sure people realize the extent of how things are down there, and once they get down there the situation would be so overwhelming (living in a tent among other people, no showers, diseases, pre-packaged meals, no amenities etc...) that even well intentioned - with minimal training - would be in over their heads and become more of a hamper than help to relief efforts.

I think Matt makes a good point in waiting until things get a little more cleaned up to volunteer....

I have to agree. I have been part of a few teams and it isn't like you volunteer, go home, take a shower and relax. You are in the elements the whole time, there isn't any real rest. The stresses are intense.