PDA

View Full Version : Mets Disaster 2010: Beltran Has Secret Knee Surgery

Matt Molnar
2010-01-14, 01:49 AM
Carlos Beltran had surgery on his knee on Wednesday...performed by his personal doctor without the permission of the Mets, which I believe is a breach of contract...who knows what happens next.

No matter what, despite Minaya's promises that everyone would be healthy on opening day, Beltran will be out at least the first month of the season. Frikkin' great.

lijk604
2010-01-14, 02:19 PM
Let the circus begin. Ugh!

wunaladreamin
2010-01-14, 04:43 PM
Is anything from that circus even shocking anymore? All I can say is thank god for hockey season and the upcoming return of Jack Bauer!

hiss srq
2010-01-14, 06:07 PM
What a douche Beltra. What a douche. The Mets wont take actions against him though.

NIKV69
2010-01-14, 07:04 PM
Yes sure is breach of contract. When you sign a professional sports contract you are that teams property. Which also means any health or medical treatment is not your choice anymore. This is too funny.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-14, 07:29 PM
On the other hand, maybe he did the right thing, given the Mets medical staff's complete ineptitude the past couple years.

Gerard
2010-01-14, 09:16 PM
Is anything from that circus even shocking anymore? All I can say is thank god for hockey season and the upcoming return of Jack Bauer!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

moose135
2010-01-14, 11:34 PM
Had someone pose an interesting scenario - he opined that the Mets knew about it, and had him hold off until the Jason Bay deal was done to keep Bay from holding the Mets hostage over his deal, and their supposed surprise over the surgery is just part of the act.

Tom_Turner
2010-01-15, 12:13 AM
Interesting conjecture Moose, but the surgery probably should've taken place in November when it appeared Beltran's recovery was suffering a set back. Probably a fantasy to attribute any kind of strategy to their dysfunctional ways..

Agree with Gotham Spotter, the Mets management and/or medical personnel record speaks for itself and its not impressive. Thinking Beltran did the right thing for himself here..and the repellent Boras is looking after his investment as he should.

Beltran will manage to beat the actual "breach of contract" issue here....in terms of the paying the price at least. How much $$$ are the Mets paying players now or recently to players that barely put on the uniform..??? Mo Vaughn for one. AT least Beltran plays effectively most of the time.

Organization is snake bit for years... Juan Samuel, Roberto Alomar, ..I could name a couple of dozen. But this year will be better than last; can't get much worse.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-15, 12:36 AM
Interesting idea, Moose. I guess that's possible.

Tom, if the Mets knew about it months ago, you're right, they should have done surgery earlier. But it's also possible he was doing okay, and then felt pain again as he started working out harder as spring training approaches.

No sense arguing I guess, we may never know.

I do know even with a healthy Beltran, the team has serious issues and Jason Bay barely scratches the surface. Hitting 36 homers in Fenway is great, but Citifield is where home runs go to die. I'd be surprised if Bay breaks 15 HR this season.

We have zero reliable starting pitchers. Johan is coming off an injury...who knows if he'll be the same? And even if he is, everyone else is a giant question mark.

I hate to be Debbie Downer but seriously...wtf. After opening day I don't plan on paying to attend any games (free tix = MAYBE I'll go if the weather is nice) unless it seems they are at least making an effort to win by mid-May or so.