PDA

View Full Version : Boat damaged in anti-whaling clash

Midnight Mike
2010-01-06, 04:44 PM
06-January-2010

A conservation group's boat had its bow sheared off and was taking on water Wednesday after it collided with a Japanese whaling ship in the frigid waters of Antarctica, the group said.

The boat's six crew members were safely transferred to another of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's vessels, the newly commissioned Bob Barker. The boat is named for the American game show host who donated $5 million to buy it.

The clash was the most serious in the past several years, during which the Sea Shepherd has sent vessels into far-southern waters to try to harass the Japanese fleet into ceasing its annual whale hunt.

Clashes using hand-thrown stink bombs, ropes meant to tangle propellers and high-tech sound equipment have been common in recent years, and collisions between ships have sometimes occurred.

The society said its vessel Ady Gil — a high-tech speedboat that resembles a stealth bomber — was hit by the Japanese ship the Shonan Maru near Commonwealth Bay and had about 10 feet of its bow knocked off.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34722032/ns ... ironment// (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34722032/ns/world_news-world_environment//)

PhilDernerJr
2010-01-06, 05:54 PM
I'm not a fan of whaling or anything, but if some boat came towards me looking to tie up my props....especially in a place as unforgiving as the Antarctic....I'm going to lay down some .50 rounds until you don't have a boat to float on.

NIKV69
2010-01-06, 06:03 PM
I commend what these people are doing. Japan should be ashamed of themselves. Problem is this started as two parties basically annoying each other with stinkbombs etc but will and has escalated and soon we will see someone die. Personally Japan will not stop and if Australia keeps letting them get away with the slaughter of whales something has to give. I think the sea sheapard has to raise the ante or whaling will not stop. Unfortunately this would mean someone dying and one or both or all of those vessels sinking. It's an ugly situation.

T-Bird76
2010-01-06, 10:31 PM
Well that boat didn't last long...LOL It just went into service bit more then a month ago. I don't think anyone should justify the whalers defense. These whalers should be left to drift for the offenses they commit against these endangered species.

Big Tim #70
2010-01-06, 10:37 PM
I'm not a fan of whaling but how is it any different than hunting or fishing?

They're eating the whales, not killing them for sport.

T-Bird76
2010-01-07, 12:01 AM
I'm not a fan of whaling but how is it any different than hunting or fishing?

They're eating the whales, not killing them for sport.

A salmon or buck deer isn't an endaged species...a Humpback whale is. Would you like see them hunted until they don't exist anymore? Reasoning has to be applied in this situation and it is not reasonable or logical to hunt these creatures today.

Tom_Turner
2010-01-07, 01:59 AM
I believe Japan is able to use it's political influence to extract permission to take X number of whales for "scientific" purposes, but really, it is a travesty. It doesn't seem right to slaughter these intelligent mammals into extinction. Shame on Japan!

Tom

NIKV69
2010-01-07, 01:12 PM
Well that boat didn't last long...LOL It just went into service bit more then a month ago.

Yikes I think FOX reported it was 5-6 million and donated by an anonymous person who was reported to be Bob Barker on FOX as well.

I believe Japan is able to use it's political influence to extract permission to take X number of whales for "scientific" purposes, but really, it is a travesty. It doesn't seem right to slaughter these intelligent mammals into extinction. Shame on Japan!

It's terrible. I watched a few epiosdes or whale wars and they showed a whale being harpooned. One of the worst things I have ever seen. Japan should be called out on this and I am telling you it's just a matter of time until the crew of the sea sheapard really do something and people will be lost. The situation is grave.

hiss srq
2010-01-07, 01:49 PM
As morbidly unfortuneate as it is Nick and I agree with all points you have made. It is what is going to have to happen to stop Japan and this whale obsession they have. People are going to have to die on both sides. People probably will. And there are some people who are "crazy" enough I think for the cause that they would die if it ment stopping this. At risk of sounding crude (who am I kidding I am always crude and blunt) sinking a Japanese ship or two might just do the trick. Maybe once there is a calamity of mass purportions like that Japan will rethink it or maybe Australia will say no due to fear of the blood being on their hands. It is interesting that Australia will allow these inocent and docile creatures to be killed for little good reason but a nuclear propelled battle ship cant even glance at their waters.

Midnight Mike
2010-01-07, 03:00 PM
As much as I do not support or agree with the harpooning of whales, nor do I agree with the actions Sea Shepherd crew, no matter their good intentions, what they are doing is dangerous, illegal, and wrong on so many levels.

Right now, the Japanese are not breaking the law as they restrict their whale limit and that limit is authorized by an international body.

The actions of the Sea Shepherd crew actually makes me support the whaling crews and for that, it pisses me off even more...

Derf
2010-01-07, 03:33 PM
Video is awesome!!! Awesome good or bad is your judgment... I am just saying awesome!

Bbuq0YEIPNU
Ql9kR1aJ73E&NR=1

Another video showing how ballzy they were....Throw your boat infront of another boat....
jfuffRY1 ... re=related (jfuffRY14zY&feature=related)

Animal Planet Crew member on both the Ady Gil and Bob Barker got the impact on fim....stay tuned for Whale Wars season 3!!!!!

mirrodie
2010-01-07, 03:55 PM
As much as I do not support or agree with the harpooning of whales, nor do I agree with the actions Sea Shepherd crew, no matter their good intentions, what they are doing is dangerous, illegal, and wrong on so many levels.

Right now, the Japanese are not breaking the law as they restrict their whale limit and that limit is authorized by an international body.

The actions of the Sea Shepherd crew actually makes me support the whaling crews and for that, it pisses me off even more...

Mike, I totally agree. I may like whales and the enviro, but having seen those Whale Wars shows, I was left thinking they are NUTS and the Japanese crews were the noble ones.

NIKV69
2010-01-07, 06:15 PM

Yea but those laws are a joke. The mammal is endagered and if those goes on it could have dire consequences and it has become apparent the Japanese are not performing research and the quota is another joke. I disagree with things like Peta and such but this is a bit different. I hope Captain Paul continues to up the ante and do what has to be done. I mean why do we have to jump on board with Al Gore's Polar Bears when these whales get no press? Who have no defenses against a harpoon? This is complete slaughter and the Japanese will pay. One way or the other.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-07, 07:04 PM
The whaling stuff is wrong, but the protesters are complete morons and/or con artists.

Red flag #1: Why are they using donated money to buy a 6 seat $5 million dollar boat that looks like the Batmobile? Those whaling ships are not that fast, they could use a regular boat which costs far less to accomplish the same thing.

Red flag #2: If it was an accident, as they claim, maybe they should hire a captain who knows how to drive the shiny new boat.

I feel worse for Bob Barker than I do for anyone else in this story.

Midnight Mike
2010-01-07, 07:34 PM
Yea but those laws are a joke. The mammal is endagered and if those goes on it could have dire consequences and it has become apparent the Japanese are not performing research and the quota is another joke. I disagree with things like Peta and such but this is a bit different. I hope Captain Paul continues to up the ante and do what has to be done. I mean why do we have to jump on board with Al Gore's Polar Bears when these whales get no press? Who have no defenses against a harpoon? This is complete slaughter and the Japanese will pay. One way or the other.

I can see the difference, you happen to like whales, more than you do let's say seals or minks. Did not realize that seals & minks have protection against baseball clubs & steel rods :wink:

There are correct ways to protest & there are wrong ways, and what the people of the Sea Sheppard do is dead wrong, just as the PETA groups that throw paint on peoples fur coats.

As for the best protest that show results, look at the campaign against tuna fish companies that were killing dolphins, by tugging on people heart strings, they were able to get the tuna companies to make changes to the netting so dolphins would not be killed....

Once again, I am againt the killing of whales, but, I am also against the actions of the Sea Sheppard crew...

NIKV69
2010-01-07, 07:54 PM
Those whaling ships are not that fast, they could use a regular boat which costs far less to accomplish the same thing.

Matt you need to watch the show, the Japanese vessels are far superior to the ships Paul Watson is using. He usually has trouble keeping pace with them and the smaller boats as well. The Japanese are using state of the art equipment to both hunt and cut up their catch.

but the protesters are complete morons and/or con artists

Again I think you are a little misinformed. Paul Watson founded greenpeace and is far from a moron. Those people are pretty committed to one thing and that is saving whales from slaughter. I think the animal planet show is more of a way to show the world what is happening since it happens in probably the most remoote area of the world.

I can see the difference, you happen to like whales, more than you do let's say seals or minks. Did not realize that seals & minks have protection against baseball clubs & steel rods

Mike how wuld you know this? I am against the clubbing of seals just as much as this as for minks that is a different situation entirely and neither seals or mink are near being endangered.

There are correct ways to protest & there are wrong ways, and what the people of the Sea Sheppard do is dead wrong, just as the PETA groups that throw paint on peoples fur coats.

No way you can put these two groups together. Peta's actions are a joke. Paul Watson is trying to save a species and protect something that in reality is being poached. The mink situation is not even close to this. Even though I disagree with it but then would you stop wearing leather? Come on.

hiss srq
2010-01-07, 08:16 PM
I think the fact is we as people are the dominate species on Earth and just like any other species we sustain off the hides of others so to speak. The diffrence here between us and other creatures is the fact that we are completely cognicent of our actions. We are aware of our surroundings and actions where with other creatures it is impuse and nothing more that drives them to their actions. Now with that in mind what Japan is doing is somthing that needs to be outed. It needs to be stopped. They are using a loop hole with no regard to the existance of this species full knowing of the risk of extinction. And to that extent their actions are deemed in most eyes to be criminal. They claim to be researching but there is no reason if it was for pure research that they would annualy need to go right to the maximum number which they do and probably exceed at that. How much more can you learn from dead whales than we have already at this point? Someone needs to pull the trigger and Sea Sheppard is doing it. They may be doing it in a way that some disagree with but my hat goes off to them for having the balls to do it the way they are either way. It would be quite unfortuneate if it takes human fatalities to finally create a fix to the issue but this is the human way unfortuneately. Someone needs to lean on Australia a little harder though too.