PDA

View Full Version : Early AM High Flying Copter

Gerard
2010-01-05, 07:05 PM
Was sitting at the Hicksville station (LIRR) today in my car waiting for the optimum time to get out so I
wont have to freeze my boys off waiting for the train when I see a light in the distance to the West. At
first I thought it was a star, it was high enough but I saw it moving slowly to the east. When I got out of my
car at 6:44AM it was passing over me around 3/5000 feet and it was who I thought it might be. A Sikorsky
helicopter, S-76 from the sound of it, heading out to the East and from last glance starting to turn NE.
I've been seeing this copter for a few years now, always between 6:30 and 645AM. Sometimes a few times a
week, sometimes every few weeks. In fact I hadnt seen it in awhile before today. Always curious who it might
be. Doesnt seem like its coming from NYC as its pretty high up coming from the West already. Thought it might
be some corporate shuttle maybe heading up to the Boston area.
Nice way to travel for sure.

Derf
2010-01-05, 07:38 PM
sounds like Dolans Green and white S-76 (Cablevision)

hiss srq
2010-01-05, 10:21 PM
One of them at least. They keep going earlier and earlier it seems like from FRG to the various pads they scream in and out of it seems. Sometimes if I am at FRG early enough in the morning (0430) sometimes, they already have the hanger doors open and a few choppers on the ramp. There is also a G4 which I keep forgetting to grab the reggi on with non standard CVC colors. (red and white) flying from the hanger. Unfortuneately, the guys next door don't much talk to anyone.

moose135
2010-01-05, 10:34 PM
They keep going earlier and earlier it seems like from FRG to the various pads they scream in and out of it seems. Sometimes if I am at FRG early enough in the morning (0430) sometimes, they already have the hanger doors open and a few choppers on the ramp.
Well, that's because they have to leave FRG, go pick up some exec, and get him to his office in Woodbury in time for morning coffee...

hiss srq
2010-01-05, 10:42 PM
Wish my company would send the chopper for me. LOL It would sure cut down on me getting pulled over by LBPD and State Police all the time. LOL

T-Bird76
2010-01-05, 10:45 PM
Dolan sends such a great message to his employees every morning as they are parking in Bethpage while setting down in the copter... The man lives 15 mins away by car, why does he need a copter to get him to work? Better yet why does a regional company need two copters, a private jet and another leased jet?

moose135
2010-01-05, 10:56 PM
Dolan sends such a great message to his employees every morning as they are parking in Bethpage while setting down in the copter... The man lives 15 mins away by car, why does he need a copter to get him to work? Better yet why does a regional company need two copters, a private jet and another leased jet?
From what I remember reading when he was hired, the new(ish) head of the news group (News12 & Newsday report up to him, and he's not a member of the family) lives in Connecticut, and as part of his deal when they brought him on board, he gets to commute by chopper to Woodbury. Of course, the people who know the whole story probably can't confirm or deny it...

Gerard
2010-01-05, 11:02 PM

They also have the EC-120 (N12NY), Chopper 12 and I believe a Cessna. And do they still have three 76s or did they get
rid of one? And do the Rangers/Knicks have their own jets or do they charter?
Wherever this ship is coming from it doesnt seem to be local as its altitude is pretty high by the time its passing over
the Hicksville area and definitely heading out far to the E/NE.
And arent there curfews for the local pads (Bethpage, Woodbury)? Gotta Fly Neighborly ya know.
I do see them every night as I get off the train at 5:30 as they buzz into Bethpage. Almost seems like they are on a schedule.

hiss srq
2010-01-05, 11:08 PM
They have if I am not mistaken, 2 GStrings (I've heard that theres a 550 coming from some of my companies mechanic's) they have a PA31, last I recall they have a 737-400 as well for BBall/hockey stuff, the EC120, Chopper 12 plus 3 S76's. Pretty sizeable. They base the fleet (Sans the 734 if it's still theirs) at KFRG. I wont divulge the hanger for those who don't know though.

moose135
2010-01-05, 11:09 PM
I wont divulge the hanger for those who don't know though.
'cause that's real hard to figure out... :wink:

Gerard
2010-01-05, 11:17 PM
I wont divulge the hanger for those who don't know though.
'cause that's real hard to figure out... :wink:

:lol: :lol:
I actually saw the 737 at FRG once years ago. I think that is based up at Westchester since the teams (Ball/Puck)
have their training facilty up in Greenburgh, NY. I wonder if Dolan ever was allowed to build a pad at this facilty. He was
trying but the locals were fighting him.
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=53594

moose135
2010-01-05, 11:25 PM
I actually saw the 737 at FRG once years ago. I think that is based up at Westchester since the teams (Ball/Puck) have their training facilty up in Greenburgh, NY.
I've heard that it's based out of ABE, not that you would see it there. Apparently it's handled like the old stealth fighters - it lands, taxies into the hangar, and the doors close, never to be seen again...

Gerard
2010-01-05, 11:54 PM
I actually saw the 737 at FRG once years ago. I think that is based up at Westchester since the teams (Ball/Puck) have their training facilty up in Greenburgh, NY.
I've heard that it's based out of ABE, not that you would see it there. Apparently it's handled like the old stealth fighters - it lands, taxies into the hangar, and the doors close, never to be seen again...

Yeah I get nervous when I park near their hangar. Always think some SWAT team going to come out and surround me, :lol:

flyboy 28
2010-01-06, 12:13 AM

If it's the one I'm thinking of (N37NY), I have a shot of it as it was parked at the FBO at ABE once. Of course, I took the pic and got booted out withing two minutes of each other.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-06, 12:34 AM
Better yet why does a regional company need two copters, a private jet and another leased jet?
Because they can raise everyone's cable bill by one nickel a month and *poof*...another new jet! :borat:

moose135
2010-01-06, 12:49 AM
If it's the one I'm thinking of (N37NY), I have a shot of it as it was parked at the FBO at ABE once. Of course, I took the pic and got booted out withing two minutes of each other.
This one here?
http://www.moose135photography.com/photos/264698800_cJtYo-L-2.jpg
I've seen it used for corporate travel, don't know if they use it for the teams as well.

njgtr82
2010-01-06, 01:49 AM
I've heard the Rangers use 37NY

Matt Molnar
2010-01-06, 02:12 AM
It's actually registered to MSG, not Cablevision itself.

Gerard
2010-03-07, 07:09 PM
They have if I am not mistaken, 2 GStrings (I've heard that theres a 550 coming from some of my companies mechanic's) they have a PA31, last I recall they have a 737-400 as well for BBall/hockey stuff, the EC120, Chopper 12 plus 3 S76's. Pretty sizeable. They base the fleet (Sans the 734 if it's still theirs) at KFRG. I wont divulge the hanger for those who don't know though.

They also have a Cessna 182 (N4649T). That and the Piper PA31 (N35580) and the EC120B were all sitting outside
the hangar today.