PDA

View Full Version : Cablevision BLOWS!!!

T-Bird76
2010-01-01, 04:36 PM
I'm done with Cablevision...last night at midnight Cablevision dropped the Food Network and HGTV..two of the most popular and my favorite channels. They keep raising rates through the roof and keep cutting back on essential service while adding fluff that people didn't ask for or need (i.e Optimum Wifi and Optimum Select). Its time this company gets its act together and begins to cut costs internally vs. cutting service to their consumers. I知 giving them a month to get these networks back and then I知 switching to the Dish.

moose135
2010-01-01, 06:14 PM
...the Food Network and HGTV..two of the most popular and my favorite channels...
Seriously man, you have got to get a life :wink:

Steven Holzinger
2010-01-01, 06:15 PM
I feel your pain - Comcast is doing the same. They've gotten rid of THREE of my favorite channels over the years!

hiss srq
2010-01-01, 07:23 PM
Cablevision is indeed rediculous with the way the Dolans manage their company. Beleive it or not though, the TV product alone does not make them any money. They actually take a loss on the TV product when it is sold alone seperate from the OOL and OV products. Their real profit comes from OOL and OV because there is no overhead above what there is already for the TV product. The way the TV side of things works at Cablevision is they will go to companies like ABC etc... and say "okay, we can give you 7 million viewers and garuntee you that your going to be viewed x amount of times" at which point ABC or other provider of service will come back with a per customer number to charge Cablevision. Almost always because of the size of the company compared to say Comcast they take a loss on this. That is why when you have the TV product alone they work so hard to push OOL and OV on your or simply put they are not going to make money on it. Than, once they have you on the whole basic triple play package that is when they can start to make money off you. They rape you on those Scientific Atlanta DVR's which since about last year are mostly refurb's with hard drive problems. Or they get you with the silver/gold TV package. Not to mention the whole Boost and Boost Ultra thing. It is factual that Boost Ultra is the fasted private internet available though on the planet. At least it was as of summer 2008. There are not many places to cut cost though at the company internally. Contrary to assumption Cablevision pays pretty dismal rates to employees and is hacking the corners on everything they possibly can. They recently stopped using contractors for Field Service all together and canceled a large order of new boxes in various models that were supposed to come from Scientific Atlanta. Plus, they put a freeze on fleet renewal across the board. They need it though. Alot of the trucks are really beaten to shreads. I am by no means defending the company, for the most part I dispise Cablevision for their business practices but they are not making as much money as people beleive them to at least on the Optimum branding of the company side. The channels they own and sports franchises etc etc do make money but Optimum does not make a whole lot once all is said and done. A little secret though. The whole iTouch promotion that they are currently offering ties in with a cellular plan which is in the middle stages of development. When the whole digital cutover took place Cablevision bought up some of the analog stuff quietly and are working on a cellular phone program. I do not have very many details past that to provide but thats a synopsis of how it works over at CVC at least for the O and OB side of the company.

Gerard
2010-01-01, 08:38 PM
Cablevision is blaming the Scripps Networks and their financial difficulties and apologizing for the inconvenience.
According to them Scripps pulled off the channels. Cablevision wanted to continue to bring the channels while they
negotiated terms but Scripps decided to pull the channels.
Is it possible Scripps is doing this with all their distributors and not just Cablevision?

cancidas
2010-01-01, 08:51 PM
this is part of the reason why i don't watch tv...

Matt Molnar
2010-01-01, 10:47 PM
I'm done with Cablevision...last night at midnight Cablevision dropped the Food Network and HGTV..two of the most popular and my favorite channels. They keep raising rates through the roof and keep cutting back on essential service while adding fluff that people didn't ask for or need (i.e Optimum Wifi and Optimum Select). Its time this company gets its act together and begins to cut costs internally vs. cutting service to their consumers. I知 giving them a month to get these networks back and then I知 switching to the Dish.
Scripps raised the price Cablevision would have had to pay per subscriber, and Cablevision refused to cough it up. It could actually be a rare example of the cable company doing the right thing for its customers. If they agree to a high price for one network, other networks will demand the same treatment and prices go up.

Time Warner is in a similar dispute with Fox, which was supposed to go dark on TWC last night as well, but they decided to take a cooling off period from negotiations for a few weeks.

PhilDernerJr
2010-01-02, 01:04 AM
A little secret though. The whole iTouch promotion that they are currently offering ties in with a cellular plan which is in the middle stages of development. When the whole digital cutover took place Cablevision bought up some of the analog stuff quietly and are working on a cellular phone program. I do not have very many details past that to provide but thats a synopsis of how it works over at CVC at least for the O and OB side of the company.

Source?

hiss srq
2010-01-02, 01:09 AM
Myself. I worked for them for a year in Outside Plant.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-02, 01:29 AM
iPod Touch does not connect to cell networks, only WiFi. Cablevision has started deploying "Optimum WiFi" hotspots in various locations which offer free access for Optimum Online customers. They also concocted some scheme a few years ago to connect their home telephone customers to cell networks, allowing people to transfer a call from their house phone to their cell. I don't doubt that they've considered it, but I would be shocked if they entered the cell market at this point.

Breaking News: Fox and Time Warner have settled on a deal. I would imagine Time Warner customers will be ripped off even more soon.

hiss srq
2010-01-02, 01:34 AM
I understand that the i touch doesnt connect to cellular networks. It is not ment to be used as a phone but it is linked into the program which they are trying to develop. As far as the WiFi hot spots go, they have been around now a while. The feature you speak about (A form of call forwarding) is called the Find Me function.

mirrodie
2010-01-02, 10:09 AM
Actually, since the vast majority of what we watch is on the major networks, I may just get a digital tuner
and be done with it.

mirrodie
2010-01-02, 10:36 AM
edit: I mean I have get a digital antenna, as I already have a digital tuner. Plus I'd probably get more done around the house.

Whether you pay for Cablevision, DIsh or Fios, in the end, it seems you get a ton of useless channels along with a selective dozen or so that you actually watch.

T-Bird76
2010-01-02, 10:42 AM
I understand that the i touch doesnt connect to cellular networks. It is not ment to be used as a phone but it is linked into the program which they are trying to develop. As far as the WiFi hot spots go, they have been around now a while. The feature you speak about (A form of call forwarding) is called the Find Me function.

The Find Me feature and Cable's former deal to link cell and home have nothing to do with each other. Find me is calling forwarding and nothing more.

Hmmmm you sure you worked their Ryan? What corp did you work out of? Which service office were you assigned to? Which trainer in Hicksville trained you...and don't say you don't remember, Everyone remembers the trainers in Hicksville, and don't say you weren't trained in Hicksville....all Outside Plant aka Pole Monkey's are trained in Hicksville. Only latest a year? I知 surprised you left; surely you were making more money with far better benefits then what you were making at US.

As for your infor I just forwarded that to Bill Gang VP of Training and Development and my former Boss of 10 years at Cablevision (along with my rant about Food Network, hehe)..his response. Well it痴 against forum rules to post foul language. Let just say you池e not accurate in your first post.

hiss srq
2010-01-02, 11:20 AM
I was in corp2 58 and 28 (Freeport Shop) Dester Ellis was my primary and Mark Millwater my other trainer. And Hicksville isnt the training center for OSP or Field Service anymore. The shop on Grumman Road is where all Field Service and OSP training is done now. Sounds like you did some timewith them too. across the street from the NCPD helipad is the training center. And I was making more than USAirways but I am making double and than some between my two jobs now. Plus frankly, I am not a fan of running drops, dinking off with nodes, frozen taps, and having to sit on a damn pole for 3 hours looking for signal distortion and low Dbmv that doesnt exist.

T-Bird76
2010-01-02, 12:01 PM
I was in corp2 58 and 28 (Freeport Shop) Dester Ellis was my primary and Mark Millwater my other trainer. And Hicksville isnt the training center for OSP or Field Service anymore. The shop on Grumman Road is where all Field Service and OSP training is done now. Sounds like you did some timewith them too. across the street from the NCPD helipad is the training center. And I was making more than USAirways but I am making double and than some between my two jobs now. Plus frankly, I am not a fan of running drops, dinking off with nodes, frozen taps, and having to sit on a damn pole for 3 hours looking for signal distortion and low Dbmv that doesnt exist.

See I told you no one forgets the trainers. I'll have to give Mark a call this week..haven't talked to him in sometime...I wonder if he remembers you?

hiss srq
2010-01-02, 12:06 PM
Most certainly. In fact, he's on my facebook.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-01-02, 11:24 PM

Features like that exist if you are in a WiFi hotspot you can use a VOIP service on your iPod Touch that will let you make calls. I guess it would make sense if Cablevision would develop their own VOIP app that you can use for the iPod Touch. I can't see them going any further with linking it with OV or cell towers because all apps put out for the iPhone/iPod have to be certified by Apple and I highly doubt Apple would approve of such a thing because it would cut into iPhone sales.

Also if anyone is looking for a good (and free) call forwarding service I would suggest looking into Google Voice. You can make up your own number and link all of your phones to it and once that number is called all the phones ring so you don't have to give out multiple phone numbers and you can also make international calls and have SMS forwarding.

If you want to try it out send me a PM or you can request and invite here ( it usually takes about a week for an answer)
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

Also here is Cablevision's "Official" response about Scripps

http://cablevision.com/scripps/

EDIT-
Cablevision has this message aired now:
lTdfKIQzQj4

And just in case you weren't watching Food Network at 12AM on January 1st:

9z5Qx7Y5cwQ&feature=related

Gerard
2010-01-03, 11:09 AM
Is Cablevision the only cable company that Scripps has taken these channels off of?

Matt Molnar
2010-01-03, 04:29 PM
Is Cablevision the only cable company that Scripps has taken these channels off of?
Yes.

Gerard
2010-01-03, 05:09 PM
Yes.

Thanks. There is a Facebook page up and running angrily protesting Cablevision.

T-Bird76
2010-01-03, 06:00 PM
Yes.

Thanks. There is a Facebook page up and running angrily protesting Cablevision.

What's it called?

Gerard
2010-01-03, 06:32 PM
Thanks. There is a Facebook page up and running angrily protesting Cablevision.[/quote]

What's it called?[/quote]

An easy title..."We Want The Food Network and HGTV on Cablevision...NOW" :lol:

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-01-03, 10:50 PM
Here is an alternative: http://www.cookorbecooked.com/#/home

Gerard
2010-01-21, 09:39 PM
As of Thursday aft Jan 21 the Food Network & HGTV ARE BACK on Cablevision.
Enjoy fans.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-03-02, 05:00 PM
Part II

Cablevision vs. ABC

http://cablevision.com/abc/

PhilDernerJr
2010-03-02, 05:35 PM
Ha. I used that little box on the side to tell ABC to PLEASE drop Cablevision. I used some not so nice language as well.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-03-02, 06:02 PM
Haha. This is starting to become ridiculous. It seems like Scripps and ABC have (had) the same type of problem with Cablevision which means that networks are becoming more greedy or Cablevision doesn't wanna pay up.

Gerard
2010-03-02, 06:50 PM
Haha. This is starting to become ridiculous. It seems like Scripps and ABC have (had) the same type of problem with Cablevision which means that networks are becoming more greedy or Cablevision doesn't wanna pay up.

Probably both.

moose135
2010-03-02, 11:41 PM
...or Cablevision doesn't wanna pay up.
And pass that cost along to you...

T-Bird76
2010-03-03, 04:24 PM
More and more I just want to pull the plug on cable and TV all together.... Both the networks and the Cable companies are greedy. All of the content you have on TV you can get online almost on your own terms and its far more ala carte then Cable or Sat.

mirrodie
2010-03-03, 09:00 PM
THe time to get a digital antannae is coming and that, real soon. Such bull****.

and cablevision wants us ot think itts all Scripps network's fault and later, now ABC.

Cablevision can run their ads saying they are being essentially vicitmized but at the end of hte day, they raise their rates to us for no reason!

hiss srq
2010-03-03, 09:21 PM
Cablevision is... (And I am sorry if it offends those who may work in the company) a greedy company. CSC Holdings more correctly. There is an attitude of entitlement within the company from management. It is almost as if they expect the public to be greatful that they exist and offer the services they do for the rates that they do. At the same time their bottom line almost constantly improves with exception of one quarter in the last few years. The rates go up, but nothing is being covered in terms of overhead by these rates generally speaking. Just more metal in the hanger for the big shots. The fleet of vehicles is in complete shambles and they will be very quick to question you when you address a safety issue. It is always about putting the blame on someone other than the one's with a stack of business cards on their desk.

T-Bird76
2010-03-04, 03:43 AM
Cablevision is... (And I am sorry if it offends those who may work in the company) a greedy company. CSC Holdings more correctly. There is an attitude of entitlement within the company from management. It is almost as if they expect the public to be greatful that they exist and offer the services they do for the rates that they do. At the same time their bottom line almost constantly improves with exception of one quarter in the last few years. The rates go up, but nothing is being covered in terms of overhead by these rates generally speaking. Just more metal in the hanger for the big shots. The fleet of vehicles is in complete shambles and they will be very quick to question you when you address a safety issue. It is always about putting the blame on someone other than the one's with a stack of business cards on their desk.

I worked there 10 years....I wouldn't be offended at all, what you say is true. I wouldn't shead a tear if they were bought out and a new culture instilled. The company is filled with greed and ego. IMO the only service they have that is worth the price is the internet, TV is overpriced and you get squat for the money.

mirrodie
2010-03-04, 12:52 PM
Yes. I dont care for cablevision, itws just a monthly bill.. but after the fiasco with SCripps and now ABC and their brainwashing commercials, which are total bull**** to any educated person,

I am that much closer to a dirtial anteannae. I need help though. my TV has a digital tuner install. Whats a good digital HD antannae cost?

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-03-04, 05:15 PM
I actually think their internet services are pretty good people in other areas pay a lot more and get less bandwidth. I think OV is pretty expensive though considering it leeches on your bandwidth that you already have if you have OOL.

Gerard
2010-03-07, 10:23 PM
About 10 minutes into the Oscar broadcast it was switched back on.

Matt Molnar
2010-03-07, 10:33 PM
Supposedly they reached a deal, probably means your bill will be going up soon.

mirrodie
2010-03-07, 11:12 PM
OK.....
so seriously.. my TV has a digital tuner built in.

how expensive and effective is a digital antennae?

T-Bird76
2010-03-07, 11:33 PM
OK.....
so seriously.. my TV has a digital tuner built in.

how expensive and effective is a digital antennae?

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

has everything you need to know. However you won't even get 10 channels with over the air HDTV broadcasts.

gettysburgerrn
2010-03-08, 07:23 AM
Exactly- whenever "they " reach a deal - our bill goes up (hopefully not mine since I have FIOS)

Ken

george
2010-03-08, 10:48 AM
The free on demand movies was nice last night on cablevision

mirrodie
2010-03-08, 11:30 AM
freee on demand

We tried it and the movies would not play. Ilm telling you, I think Cvision is living on borrwed time here. Just need to sort a new internet provider and we are gone.

george
2010-03-08, 11:45 AM
freee on demand

We tried it and the movies would not play. Ilm telling you, I think Cvision is living on borrwed time here. Just need to sort a new internet provider and we are gone.

Yeah it took a few times for mine to work last night too..