PDA

View Full Version : Predator UAV's hacked by Iraqi insurgents

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-12-17, 12:06 PM
Iraqi insurgents have reportedly intercepted live video feeds from the U.S. military's Predator drones using a $25.95 Windows application that allows them to track the pilotless aircraft undetected.
Hackers working with Iraqi militants were able to determine which areas of the country were under surveillance by the U.S. military, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday, adding that video feeds from drones in Afghanistan also appear to have been compromised.
Meanwhile, a senior Air Force officer said Wednesday that a wave of new surveillance aircraft, both manned and unmanned, were being deployed to Afghanistan to bolster "eyes in the sky" protection for the influx of American troops ordered by President Obama.
This apparent security breach, which had been known in military and intelligence circles to be possible, arose because the Predator unmanned aerial vehicles do not use encryption in the final link to their operators on the ground.

Source:
Cnet (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10417247-83.html)

Further Reading:
US was Warned of Predator Drone Hacking. (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12/17/taking_liberties/entry5988978.shtml)

moose135
2009-12-18, 01:50 AM
I think Fred has an app for his I-phone that lets him do that... :shock:

PhilDernerJr
2009-12-18, 10:57 AM
I can't imagine the insurgents having the infrastructure to really be able to make that feed incredibly useful in countering or preventing attacks anyhow. You can't hide from thermal and there will always be someone shooting at you.

Matt Molnar
2009-12-18, 12:04 PM
Those feeds are probably a lot more interesting than whatever is on Iraqi TV. :borat:

wunaladreamin
2009-12-18, 05:33 PM
I thought all you Air Farce guys were good at computers and encrypting and all. Hell, I know for certain you guys are expert at computer solitaire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

USAF Pilot 07
2009-12-18, 06:21 PM
I thought all you Air Farce guys were good at computers and encrypting and all. Hell, I know for certain you guys are expert at computer solitaire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They probably just found and used the cheat code...

wunaladreamin
2009-12-19, 10:06 AM
Up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, a, b, b, a, start? :lol: :lol: :lol: