PDA

View Full Version : New Computer!

PhilDernerJr
2009-12-06, 11:51 PM
I got an early Christmas gift this weekend in the form of a new computer...which was DESPERATELY needed. I'm embarrassed to share with you the specs of my old computer, knowing I was trying to run a website on it and edit photos.

Photo-wise, the big stuff for me is my 8gigs of RAM, GeForce GTS250 video card, and my 23" Acer monitor. This makes sites like Anet and JP an entirely different experience. I can see the faults in my photos now with my old monitor, which had a green cast over everything. I'm even enjoying my own photos much more! My old monitor made everything look different than reality. I'm almost relieved.

Also, this means I can now safely install and play Flight Simulator, and Flight Simulator X and a new Cyborg X joystick is also here with me.

I'm sorry if I sound like bragging, but I'm very excited. Some can attest to the near-tears moments during frustrating times on my old computer while waiting 8 seconds just because I clicked on a different window. If anyone wants to come over and play FSX or edit your pics, let me know!

If anyone knows an org or school I can donate my old computer to, please let me know. It's not too good but I figure someone could get something out of it.

NIKV69
2009-12-07, 12:59 AM
If anyone knows an org or school I can donate my old computer to, please let me know. It's not too good but I figure someone could get something out of it.

Congrats Phil! I wouldn't bother donating your old one. From your story any school would probably refuse to take it. :mrgreen:

cancidas
2009-12-07, 01:01 AM
don't feel bad about bragging, i did the same for almost a month after getting my thinkpad.

mirrodie
2009-12-07, 12:13 PM
Wow, 8 gigs is a MONSTER! sweet!

And considering how its utilized for the site, it should count as a good tax write off to take advantage of.

PhilDernerJr
2009-12-07, 12:33 PM
I can only write it off if I paid for it, but this was a gift. It is quite a beast, though.

Alex T
2009-12-07, 01:00 PM
I can only write it off if I paid for it, but this was a gift. It is quite a beast, though.

Ya, That's what she said :lol:

SORRY SORRY SORRY. I couldn't resist at all!

Anyhow congrats Phil, it does indeed seem like quite a beast and a great working computer! Enjoy it and crank the bass up when you flight sim!

Alex

PhilDernerJr
2009-12-07, 03:23 PM
Thanks. I loaded 40gigs of 25,997 airplane photos from a stack of DVDs onto my comp. Yikes.

mmedford
2009-12-07, 03:32 PM
Thanks. I loaded 40gigs of 25,997 airplane photos from a stack of DVDs onto my comp. Yikes.

Phil, you need a server :)...

Makes things so much easier, always avaliable, and most importantly...you don't need a sharpie to write on each disk.

emshighway
2009-12-07, 03:49 PM
You have to be running 64 bit version of an OS, hopefully Windows 7. Just remember that when you are looking at software. The software will work but in 32 bit compatability mode so you won't get the full use of the OS.

eric8669
2009-12-07, 03:55 PM

Thats it?

PhilDernerJr
2009-12-07, 04:33 PM
You have to be running 64 bit version of an OS, hopefully Windows 7. Just remember that when you are looking at software. The software will work but in 32 bit compatability mode so you won't get the full use of the OS.

Yes.

moose135
2009-12-07, 04:36 PM
Door stop? Boat anchor?

mmedford
2009-12-07, 04:43 PM
Door stop? Boat anchor?

Phil... New Server!!! Add Redundant harddrives...a linux based operating system or even Windows Home Server... ba da bing!

MarkLawrence
2009-12-07, 05:28 PM
Alternatively Phil, Dave Pascoe over at LiveATC.net is always looking for old hardware for donation.....I donated an old desktop a while ago to him....

emshighway
2009-12-07, 06:23 PM
Door stop? Boat anchor?

Phil... New Server!!! Add Redundant harddrives...a linux based operating system or even Windows Home Server... ba da bing!

He is right. File Servers don't need to be big workhorses. You just need harddrives.

mmedford
2009-12-07, 11:03 PM
He is right. File Servers don't need to be big workhorses. You just need harddrives.

Pretty much; 1TB or even 2TB are fairly inexpensive these days...2 of those in a RAID1... your set.

Use a Software RAID program, or if you motherboard supports hardware RAID even better!

Heck, you could even get away with using windows XP, there is avaliable software out there to do remote connectivity as well. Access files from work, redundant storage, what more could you want?

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-12-08, 06:13 PM
Get 2 500GB hard drives ($120), 1 RAID card ($50), and FreeNAS and you have a file server.

PhilDernerJr
2009-12-08, 10:05 PM
I don't see why I'd need a server if it's right here on my computer and complete accessible, but that sounds pretty cool.

T-Bird76
2009-12-08, 10:23 PM
I don't see why I'd need a server if it's right here on my computer and complete accessible, but that sounds pretty cool.

Home servers are becoming more and more popular as backups, media servers for music, video and pictures. You can easily set it up as a server and have it backup your new PC files on a daily basis.

robertprince
2009-12-12, 07:00 PM
Wow! Sounds like a heck of a computer. Whoever gave it to you as a gift must think you are pretty terrific. But who gave it to you isn't as important as this: When you are doing right work, the universe supports it. At least, that has been my experience. :)

I hope you conquer the world with it!

PhilDernerJr
2009-12-12, 08:27 PM
He is most certainly an awesome guy. haha