PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra Eliminating Football Program

Matt Molnar
2009-12-03, 12:00 PM
Source: Hofstra to cancel its football program (http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/source-hofstra-to-cancel-its-football-program-1.1635404)

December 3, 2009 By STEVEN MARCUS [email protected]

Hofstra University is expected to announce the termination of its football program Thursday, according to a source. The dramatic announcement, believed to be based largely on financial reasons, is to be made at an 11 a.m. press conference.

NIKV69
2009-12-03, 12:59 PM
Sports are always the first to go when schools run out of money. Shame.

Matt Molnar
2009-12-03, 01:39 PM
Blame the Jets. The rent they paid for practicing at Hofstra probably covered much of the cost of the football program, but now they're gone.

T-Bird76
2009-12-03, 02:25 PM
That's a damn shame.. They have a top notch facility there, I wonder how it will be utilized now. This also could be a ploy to raise more money for the program. Be nice to see them save it.

hiss srq
2009-12-03, 03:12 PM
It is a shame to see. In Florida this would be the last program to go.

Big Tim #70
2009-12-03, 07:51 PM
The Administration at Hofstra has been known to be very Anti-Athletics.

GothamSpotter hit the nail on the head. The Jets have kept the program afloat for years and since they pulled out, the program is costing the university a ton of money. They have a 16,000 stadium and they usually draw less than 6,000 per game.

Stony Brook & C.W. Post could really benefit from this. Ever since SB went D1-AA/Scholarship, the college programs on Long Island have been fighting for the quality players. Now, with one less fish in the pond, you will see Stony Brook get the top players and Post will grab a lot of those players that are potential D1, but want to stay close to home.

NIKV69
2009-12-03, 07:59 PM
That's a damn shame.. They have a top notch facility there, I wonder how it will be utilized now. This also could be a ploy to raise more money for the program. Be nice to see them save it.

It will most likely be back in a few years.

Never happen, Florida programs are always huge, well funded, playing for championships or other big bowl games and stadiums are 4 times the size and always filled with fans and TV. Hofstra sucks and couldn't beat us on the football field.

moose135
2009-12-04, 01:26 AM
Sports are always the first to go when schools run out of money. Shame.
I know, a college puts academics ahead of sports - those bastards!

hiss srq
2009-12-04, 04:01 AM
[quote]That's a damn shame.. They have a top notch facility there, I wonder how it will be utilized now. This also could be a ploy to raise more money for the program. Be nice to see them save it.

It will most likely be back in a few years.

Never happen, Florida programs are always huge, well funded, playing for championships or other big bowl games and stadiums are 4 times the size and always filled with fans and TV. Hofstra sucks and couldn't beat us on the football field.[/quote:2auwdxjf]

Exactly, Football is life in Florida for the locals, for the transplants Baseball is life. Most of the high schools in Florida, or at least in my area of Florida's football programs are geared for future FSU and UF players. Hofstra was always a nothing when it came to football. Fact is, football is not life here in NY the way it is in many other states. Most people could care less here about Hofstra unless we are talking Lacrosse.