PDA

View Full Version : Always with my head in the clouds.

Nick
2009-11-28, 07:03 PM
Ever since I was a young kid, I always looked up at the vapor trails left by aircraft. Today I witnessed an airliner at what I thought was too low an altitude to leave such trails, leaving two very distinct lines, one from each engine. The plane was circling to the south, my only guess was that they were ahead of schedule and wasting time before final. When I was in Afghanistan I frequently witnessed the trails left by refueling acft, and the lucky recipients as they followed in trail. Every trail I see, I wonder if it's a military acft. Every now and then a few trails catch my eye, some that are just all over the place, anything but a straight line. Anyone watch 'em like I do?

Gerard
2009-11-28, 09:05 PM
I love vapor trails. In fact I just went outside and it looks like there are 3 or so shining in the bright 3/4 moon. I love the trails at night with a bright moon. And there have been times late afternoon, setting sun, blue cloudless sky when there are numerous trails floating across the sky.
Ever hear the Rush song "Vapor Trails"? Great song from great band.

lijk604
2009-11-29, 09:55 AM
Living out east, I often look to the sky to see what's flying overhead. I keep a set of binoc's by the back door just in case there's a trail and I want to see who's responsible for it. Where I am, I see BDL departures headed southbound, I see European traffic headed to MIA at high altitudes, as well as scattered military traffic. Of course, they are all too high to grab pictures, but I can make out the types when I use the binocs.

Matt Molnar
2009-11-29, 04:07 PM
Ever since I was a young kid, I always looked up at the vapor trails left by aircraft. Today I witnessed an airliner at what I thought was too low an altitude to leave such trails, leaving two very distinct lines, one from each engine. The plane was circling to the south, my only guess was that they were ahead of schedule and wasting time before final.
I suspect you saw the Saudi 777 dumping fuel. (http://nycaviation.com/forum/saudi-arabian-777-gear-emergency-11-28-09-t17618.html)

Nick
2009-11-29, 07:16 PM
That was it, I knew something was different!

Gerard
2009-11-29, 10:04 PM
Living out east, I often look to the sky to see what's flying overhead. I keep a set of binoc's by the back door just in case there's a trail and I want to see who's responsible for it. Where I am, I see BDL departures headed southbound, I see European traffic headed to MIA at high altitudes, as well as scattered military traffic. Of course, they are all too high to grab pictures, but I can make out the types when I use the binocs.

Yup I always keep my binocs and scanner close. Beautiful afternoon and hung out in my yard for about an hour. Unfortunately not much traffic for me as FRG was landing 1-9 and JFK 3-1 (of course they switched to 2-2 when it got dark). Skytyper 3 was buzzing around north of the airport around 3:30.