PDA

View Full Version : Any vidoes, photos, memories of G-BOAD 10 Nov 03 ?

Jetinder
2009-11-21, 10:38 AM
Does any one have any videos/photos of G-BOAD being lifted on to a barge on before she was sent to Intrepid ?

What route did she take to get from JFK to Interpid as i want to make an animated map for it.

Does any one have any memories of the day ?

Did any record ATC of G-BOAD at JFK ?

All this is part of G-BOAD's history and i would love to add this to my report of G-BOADs last flight on 10 Nov 03 to show people what happened to her in America.

Speedbird1
2009-11-23, 08:01 AM
I used to know these things but I forgot. However, there is a great DVD for sale at the Intrepid Gift Shop about the final flight of G-BOAD for about $20. It answers all these things for you about the final journey. I never purchased it as it shows them tearing the aircraft apart. It was even aired on PBS years ago. I saw her land on Nov. 10 on 31R but my view was blocked by a curtain over the fence and there are no photos. She stayed a few days at a hangar at JFK to get dis-assembled and then she was placed on a barge to JFK. The trip took 2 days. She stayed overnight at Homeport in Staten Island before proceeding up the Hudson. I viewed this from Battery Park with my friend and I took Hi8 videos. It was a sunny day and from afar, she ressembled the space shuttle. I attended the welcoming ceremony at Pier 86 on the Hudson but also took videos only so I could hear the speeches. I recall they called her, "the sexiest aircraft ever built" and everybody started to laugh. I forgot the date of the ceremony but it was bittersweet knowing she would never fly again. Several years later a group of us Concorde lovers, got to tour G-BOAD along with retired Capt. Leslie Scott who flew her in the record-setting Trans-Atlantic flight. The Intrepid kindly opened up the cockpit for us and we were allowed to sit in the pilots' seat. It was a memorable day.

Speedbird1
2009-11-24, 07:30 AM
I must add some sad news. During the Intrepid's restoration, G-BOAD was barged-over to Brooklyns' Floyd Bennett Field where she was not cared for properly. She was allowed to rot. Then, 1 night, a truck accidentally struck her protruding radome and it got knocked-off. I was horrified. It was finally repaired after several months and since then has returned to the new Intrepid Pier. She no longer sits on an old barge and she now looks great. Tours inside have been restored as well. Prince Harry visited G-BOAD last May and sat in the cockpit. I often visit her nowadays and reflect on her past. Except for some peeling paint near the engines, she's fine. One of her Rolls-Royce engines is also on display right next to her. Please try to visit; you would be pleased. Cheers.

Jetinder
2009-11-24, 06:37 PM
Hi Speedbird1

Thanks for your help i appreciate it, i will add your thoughts to my report on G-BOAD.

Several years later a group of us Concorde lovers, got to tour G-BOAD along with retired Capt. Leslie Scott who flew her in the record-setting Trans-Atlantic flight. The Intrepid kindly opened up the cockpit for us and we were allowed to sit in the pilots' seat. It was a memorable day.

I know the people who went on the tour they are my friends, I was meant to come with them as well but at the time I could not get enough time off work to fly from London to New York.

My friends said they had a brilliant time.

Last time i came to NYC was in Oct 2003 on G-BOAD, I met my friends Mario and Sparky, we had a very very very happy time.

I loved New York, I loved its people, I loved its sights, I loved its positive very warm, friendly atmosphere and I loved America.

Never got to see an American shopping mall, never went to Wall St, Never went to the statue of Liberty, never got to see NYC skyline from the staten island ferry, never went to any American pubs or night clubs, Apart from using the NYC underground trains and taxis, I never went on NYCs buses or boats, never got to see central park and never met any single American weman.

Just didn't have the time to do this, I only stayed in NYC for 24 hrs as i had to fly back to London on a slow 747-400 to see the last BA001 Concorde take off from LHR - JFK on 23 Oct 2003 and see the last commercial day of Concorde on 24 Oct 2003.

But i had the time of my life.

I would love to come back to NYC and meet up with Mario and people from this forum (who i regard as friends), but due to recession ain't got the cash as yet to fly to NYC.

But in the future i would love to come back, see every one and see G-BOAD.

Jetinder
2010-04-05, 01:58 PM
I viewed this from Battery Park with my friend and I took Hi8 videos ceremony at Pier 86 on the Hudson but also took videos only so I could hear the speeches
Can you or your friend e-mail me a copy of that video on WMA or .mov format as I'm now updating my report of G-BOAD and that video would be great to use.