PDA

View Full Version : Big Shock: United Airlines Is Ripping You Off

PhilDernerJr
2009-11-18, 10:32 PM
Disclaimer: It is rare that I complain heavily about an airline. I hoep this does not offend United employees...I feel bad that your airline has faced difficult times at the hands of executives that have lost sight of passenger concern, and drained our tax dollars with bailouts.

United Airlines took yet another step to alienate passengers by saying they will add surcharges to ticket prices for busy flying days. (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=36177&seenIt=1)

I hope that people don’t fall for this, and see it as them looking to nickel-and-dime passengers, as there is NO additional cost to an airline that operates on a busy day. Such days are more money for them as it is…they are charging money for their own ability to fill a flight!

If there is an additional cost to a flight, then just raise your fares instead of surcharges. Why not just do that? Because they can advertise a low fare and jack up the price with surcharges of course. Your $129 fare becomes $210 in a hurry.

No wonder they are the “Incredible Shrinking Airline”. I feel like every time I read an article about fees and surcharges, United’s name is always a few words away.

A friend of mine said of United, “I wouldn’t be surprised if Frontier bought them.”

What a joke.

T-Bird76
2009-11-19, 09:43 AM
Phil the airlines announced these "surcharges" over a month ago. There's surcharges on flights starting this weekend into next week for the Thanksgiving holiday, then in Dec for the Christmas rush. Its not just UAL the other large carriers did it, its certainly not right but either is the "convenience" fee Ticketmaster charges you. BTW Frontier isn't buying anyone, Republic owns them now and Republic doesn't have the cash to buy UAL. More then likely UAL and CO will merge and the UAL name will go away. There's also rumor that AA and US may start talks in 2010....I really hope that's not the case but it is what it is.

NIKV69
2009-11-19, 10:10 AM
I have to tell you the people that deal with PR for these airlines are idiots. I mean if you need revenue why not just sneak it in with a small fare increase? I worked at a country club that was in money trouble once and they did the same thing by banging the members with a surcharge with pissed them off. Where if you bump up the drink prices, bump up the cart fees, guest fees etc it's much less noticeable and even if they pick it up they respond to much better than a new surcharge. Especially in this climate where people have been besieged with bag fees and the like. This just adds to the frustration pax are feeling. Where if they raised the fares and didn't say anything it would most likely go a little smoother.

PhilDernerJr
2009-11-19, 11:26 AM
The Frontier thing was just a joke of course.

United's surcharges and fees are always higher than that of other airlines'. They exceed in it. I had a reference which showed the layout for how various airlines price, and it just seemed like United did everything they could to be just a bit more pricey than the rest.

I would not be disappointed if UAL merged with CO and UAL vanished.

Steven Holzinger
2009-11-19, 11:38 AM
Isn't every day a busy flying day?

T-Bird76
2009-11-19, 06:17 PM
Isn't every day a busy flying day?

You know Steve in all sincerity you hit the mark! As simple as that statement is you nailed it. Mike Boyd did a very interesting article on just this point, that everyday planes go out full, airports are crowded, and thousands of bags go from point A to point B. He made very good case for why its wrong concerning the hysteria that artificially is generated during the holiday travel period. I generally fly a few times during the peak holiday travel periods and I've never noticed anything different. Airports like Orlando are going to be packed and overrun with screaming kids on July 23rd or Dec 23rd.....the only difference...holiday lights.

Midnight Mike
2009-11-23, 08:14 AM
I fly United as they have a great mileage program and I enjoy the perks of the Economy Plus plan, on international flights, that 6 inches is a big deal, just ask Tommy!

Aside, from that, I would not fly United, they have been pissing me off over the years with all of the damn changes, hell, I have been a member of the United Mileage program & now they want to charge me $15 to check in luggage on domestic flights....