PDA

View Full Version : The NRA

T-Bird76
2009-11-10, 08:52 PM
So I thought this was worth mentioning... I received a phone call tonight from the NRA concerning a movement in the U.N to ban guns globally, which btw is BS and totally untrue.

http://www.undispatch.com/node/9127

What got me is the way they went about asking me for my support. After I listened to their recording which is described in the link above a woman got on and asked me if I want Hillary Clinton and Third World Dictators telling me if I should own a gun or not. Now while I do support our right to bare arms (to a certain extent) the minute they compared Hillary Clinton to a Third World Dictator they lost me completely which I so eloquently explained to the nice woman with the thick Southern accent. The notion Hillary Clinton is somehow as bad as a Third World dictator is pathetic.

I have to assume that the NRA doesn't intelligently pick the people they call since anyone with a halfway decent education and a full set of teeth let alone a professional from NY who's highly educated would see through this joke of a message. I have no issues with the NRA but in no way shape or form would I EVER support them now. Ok rant over.

moose135
2009-11-10, 09:10 PM
http://www.moose135photography.com/photos/709668832_emZhH-L.jpg

NIKV69
2009-11-10, 09:24 PM
Nice Moose! I like the Russian made rifle as opposed to the American M-16. The AK is much better!

cancidas
2009-11-10, 10:15 PM
http://www.moose135photography.com/photos/709668832_emZhH-L.jpg
nice! i'm more polar bear than brown bear moose...

Matt Molnar
2009-11-10, 10:35 PM
Hillary is more like a second world dictator...she could probably run Finland fairly well.

mirrodie
2009-11-10, 10:39 PM
Nice Moose! I like the Russian made rifle as opposed to the American M-16. The AK is much better!

Quite true. I like hte wood grain look myself.

PhilDernerJr
2009-11-11, 12:45 AM

Why do you think it's better?

NIKV69
2009-11-11, 12:45 PM

I have fired both and the 16 feels like a toy. The AK justs feels more solid and so good when it fires. My buddy in Dallas owns one and I love shooting that thing in fact I got a pic somewhere I need to find. It's awesome.

T-Bird76
2009-11-11, 12:53 PM

I have fired both and the 16 feels like a toy. The AK justs feels more solid and so good when it fires. My buddy in Dallas owns one and I love shooting that thing in fact I got a pic somewhere I need to find. It's awesome.

This is where I oppose gun ownership...no citizen needs an AK47 or an M16 and there is no case to be made why its required.

mmedford
2009-11-11, 01:27 PM

This is where I oppose gun ownership...no citizen needs an AK47 or an M16 and there is no case to be made why its required.

Then why do we have car companies selling V6 & V8 SUVs like hot cakes?

The speed limit is only 70mph max in the US, why do we have cars that can do that do way beyond that?

emshighway
2009-11-11, 01:44 PM

But how are you going to protect yourself against the Zombies?

emshighway
2009-11-11, 01:48 PM
There are a few things interesting. The supposed treaty says control the sale of arms to irresponsible governments and militias

Not so bad

The Obama administration inserted a provision in the resolution stipulating that domestic guns sales would not regulated by the agreement.

Again not bad.

I am for citizens legally bearing arms. While I support the NRA's principals I think they can get too radical.

cancidas
2009-11-11, 04:30 PM
I am for citizens legally bearing arms. While I support the NRA's principals I think they can get too radical.
i agree, and that's the only reason why i don't support the NRA the same was i support the USO and AOPA.

on a side note, the AK-47 is hands down a better rifle than the M-16. much more rugged design.

Matt Molnar
2009-11-13, 04:56 PM
Michelle exercises her right to bare arms quite frequently:

http://journoprof.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/article-1158643-03b17109000005dc-306_468x617.jpg

NIKV69
2009-11-13, 05:45 PM
Michelle exercises her right to bare arms quite frequently:

I prefer these arms.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/905683/dfw.jpg

For Tommy, GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Me and my buddy on the way to the range.

AK-47 in my right hand

Mossberg bolt action 30-06 in my left (with scope for sniper action)

Sig Sauer .40 semi pistol in my waistband

Ashton Churchill cigar for after dinner with cordials.

Oh yea limo for the week, F250 super duty with ranch hand on front for pushing bumpers. Heeee haw!

PhilDernerJr
2009-11-13, 08:12 PM
Nick, you have good taste in pistols as well. HK is my preferred, with Sig right behind it, but the .40 is my preferred load. Actually, I take that back...favorite pistol in the world would be a Kimber CDP .45.

I read once that when it comes to combat, the M-16 is on the same level as the AK-47. BUT, the reason is because modern conflicts involve many third world nations that use the AK, and their armies are poorly disciplined and supplied, and therefore poorly maintain their weapons, so they don't perform to their full capability on the battlefield.

I didn't comment on the NRA. Tommy is right. I LIKE this organizations, but I'm disappointed when I see more extremist arguments coming from them. It actually works AGAINST the cause, similar to how PETA takes it too far often as well.

cancidas
2009-11-13, 08:35 PM
Nick, you have good taste in pistols as well. HK is my preferred, with Sig right behind it, but the .40 is my preferred load. Actually, I take that back...favorite pistol in the world would be a Kimber CDP .45.
i knew there was something i liked about you.... Hk all the way!

Tom_Turner
2009-11-15, 06:19 AM
I am thinking the story might have some legs.... notwithstanding the knee jerk hysteria of fellow travelers of the "far right"....their fund raising efforts, and the usual ignorance in the ranks (as is the case with the left as well).

I think John Bolton, former United Nations Ambassador for the US, while arguably a neanderthal in some respects politically, but is hardly an idiot, should not be ignored.

And, while I really dislike Bob Barr, what he says has the ring of truth as well....

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=116041

Bolton, for example, told Ginny Simone, managing editor of the National Rifle Associations' NRA News and host of the NRA's Daily News program, "The administration is trying to act as though this is really just a treaty about international arms trade between nation states, but there's no doubt – as was the case back over a decade ago – that the real agenda here is domestic firearms control."

He continued, "There's never been any doubt when these groups talk about saying they only want to prohibit illicit international trafficking in small arms and light weapons, it begs the whole question of what's legal at what's not legal. And many of the implications of these treaty negotiations are very much in their domestic application. So, whatever the appearance on the surface, there's no doubt that domestic firearm control is right at the top of their agenda."

Brian Wood, disarmament expert for Amnesty International, explained in a Bloomberg report why his organization and others are pushing for the U.S. to join Arms Trade Treaty talks. Wood said the U.S. is the largest conventional arms trader in the world and the unregulated trade of conventional arms "can fuel instability, transnational organized crime and terrorism."

"All countries participate in the conventional arms trade and share responsibility for the 'collateral damage' it produces – widespread death, injuries and human rights abuses," said Rebecca Peters, director of the International Action Network on Small Arms in an Agence France-Presse interview. "Now finally governments have agreed to negotiate legally binding global controls on this deadly trade."

But Bob Barr, a former U.S. representative and presidential candidate of the Libertarian Party explained in a separate interview with the NRA's Simone how a treaty that looks like it's all about fighting international crime will necessarily lead to erosion of Second Amendment gun rights:

"Even though [treaty advocates] all say, 'We are not going to involve domestic laws and the right to keep and bear arms, that won't be affected by all this,' that's nonsense," Barr said. "There's no way that if you buy into something like this and a treaty is passed regulating to ensure that firearms transfers internationally don't fall into the hands of people that the U.N. doesn't like, there's no way that that mechanism will work unless you have some form of national regulation and national tracking."

Bolton not only agrees with Barr's assessment but also sees the treaty as an Obama administration end-around of the Constitution:

"After the treaty is approved and it comes into force, you will find out that it has this implication or that implication and it requires the Congress to adopt some measure that restricts ownership of firearms," he said. "The administration knows it cannot obtain this kind of legislation purely in a domestic context … They will use an international agreement as an excuse to get domestically what they couldn't otherwise."

Clinton's October statement of support for the treaty negotiations was filed with a caveat that the Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty operate under the consensus rule of decision-making, essentially that its provisions be adopted unanimously.

"Consensus is needed to ensure the widest possible support for the treaty," she stated, "and to avoid loopholes in the treaty that can be exploited by those wishing to export arms irresponsibly."

But Bolton warned gun owners not to think the consensus rule will stop the treaty from passing.

"Consensus at the U.N. is a way of saying unanimity, everybody agrees, but in fact, the U.N. in the last eight years could have been very close to consensus on exactly this kind of treaty but for the Bush administration," Bolton said. "So I don't think her comment about consensus offers Second Amendment supporters any consolation, because absent the Unites States, nobody is really going to put up an objection to this."