PDA

View Full Version : USCG Helo at KJRB today

N221UA
2009-11-09, 07:34 PM
During my lunch break I took a walk to Downtown Manhattan heliport today and I was surprised to see a USCG HH-65 parked at the remote pads. It was too far away to catch the tail number and the CGAS it was based at.

Out of my two years in and out of the heliport, I have never seen a CG helo there before. Does anyone who happens to frequent the area like I do, know if they come in more often?

Thanks
Dennis

flyboy 28
2009-11-09, 07:55 PM
I saw it pass by me as I was on the ferry today. Pretty cool.

IGZFWh-fnRI

cancidas
2009-11-09, 07:55 PM
just an FYI, it's only JRB... no K.

N221UA
2009-11-09, 09:26 PM

I thought all continental US airports have the K suffix.
http://airnav.com/airport/KJRB

emshighway
2009-11-09, 10:40 PM

I thought all continental US airports have the K suffix.
http://airnav.com/airport/KJRB

It's a Heliport

Gerard
2009-11-09, 11:55 PM
[quote="N221UA"]During my lunch break I took a walk to Downtown Manhattan heliport today and I was surprised to see a USCG HH-65 parked at the remote pads. It was too far away to catch the tail number and the CGAS it was based at.

Out of my two years in and out of the heliport, I have never seen a CG helo there before. Does anyone who happens to frequent the area like I do, know if they come in more often?

Probably not as often since the moved from Brooklyn to Atlantic City. But the beauty of heliport spotting is you never know
who might pop in at any given time.

emshighway
2009-11-10, 12:08 AM
Might have needed to fuel up and took a lunch break at Woo Hops.

cancidas
2009-11-10, 12:43 AM
Might have needed to fuel up and took a lunch break at Woo Hops.
which is usually one of the only reasons to stop at a civilian air/heliport.... better chow. gas is still free.

Tom_Turner
2009-11-10, 03:13 AM
I remember seeing the Coast Guard Sikorsky HH-52's (S-62s) at JRB back in the 70s, and occasionally the Sikorsky HH-3 Pelican (S-61). But typically you would see them fly by on patrols (which were more frequent back then than they are now), and it was a rare treat to see them land there.

The Pelican in particular really seemed to dwarf the pier and back then there was no barge attached, so, as I remember it, there was basically room for eight choppers in two rows of 4, and any particularly large helicopter, of which there were not many types, (say a New York Airways S-61) would set down perpendicular to the pier at the end, for a ninth spot.

I was not aware there was fuel available at JRB these days; I only remember that being offered for a couple of years in the distant past.

Tom

cancidas
2009-11-10, 03:52 AM
I was not aware there was fuel available at JRB these days; I only remember that being offered for a couple of years in the distant past.
it's not, i was speaking generally.