PDA

View Full Version : The cult of the IN and Out burger.

mirrodie
2009-10-29, 01:30 PM
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/20 ... ut-burger/ (http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2009/10/28/the-cult-of-in-n-out-burger/)

I was looking up another article on Smithsonianmag.com and came across the above article.

Personally, I know a few "Five Guys Burgers" have opened up within 5 mi of my home and office. Tried them twice and both times, it was forgettable. But the article is an interesting read.

Discuss.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-10-29, 02:09 PM
I am a big fan of In and Out, but I will say Five Guys has become my new local favorite. I would argue that a Five Guys burger is better than an In and Out burger..

Midnight Mike
2009-10-29, 03:05 PM
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2009/10/28/the-cult-of-in-n-out-burger/

I was looking up another article on Smithsonianmag.com and came across the above article.

Personally, I know a few "Five Guys Burgers" have opened up within 5 mi of my home and office. Tried them twice and both times, it was forgettable. But the article is an interesting read.

Discuss.

There is a 5 Guys Burgers by my place in Washingon & it was pretty good, the Fries were good. Now, for me, I thought that IN & OUT was forgettable...

I guess we all have our own taste.

Matt Molnar
2009-10-29, 03:41 PM
Five Guys would be comparable to In-N-Out if they built one next to Planeview Park. :)

I like them both, but In-N-Out's animal style puts them ahead in my book.

Shake Shack is probably the closest you can get to an In-N-Out-style burger, but it's not as good and definitely not worth the ludicrously long lines.

cancidas
2009-10-29, 03:43 PM
never been to a 5-guys, but i have to say that when i go out to CA i hit up a in-n-out maybe once or twice during the trip, no more than that. i avoid fast food like the plague here at home since i'm working hard to lose the weight i packed on over the last couple years. it's good, but after a visit or two the novelty wears off.

where is there a 5-guys around here? may stop in for lunch sometime on my way home from work.

Matt Molnar
2009-10-29, 03:53 PM
There are quite a few in the area now... http://fiveguys.com/locations.aspx?fAdd ... york%2c+ny (http://fiveguys.com/locations.aspx?fAddress=new+york%2c+ny)

NIKV69
2009-10-29, 04:08 PM
Thanks Matt, been meaning to try it. I will and report back with my comparison to IN-N-OUT

Matt Molnar
2009-10-29, 06:04 PM
There are a few on Long Island, also. The map I linked only showed a 10 mile radius from my house.

LGA777
2009-10-29, 06:56 PM
Their is a 5 guys at the end of the Main USAirways concourse at DCA, thats the only one I have ever been to and it was great the few times I have been. If you are a burger lover I recomend checking them out.

A little more than a burger place but Sonic is huge in a lot of parts of the country, I tried my first near Charlotte back in September and really enjoyed it. The first in this area opened a few months ago near Teterboro Airport.

Regards

LGA777

NIKV69
2009-10-29, 08:52 PM
Just got back, myself and Mr. Alfano visited the one in Happauge. Not nearly as good as In-N-Out. The place itself was filthy. Service good. Fries very good though didn't have that real fresh taste In-N-Out. Burger was very good too but the bun was sub par. All in all I would say a good burger and fries but a tad overrated.

T-Bird76
2009-10-29, 09:11 PM
I agree with Nick. The place is filthy....crap all over the floor and not once when we were there did anyone walk out to sweep the floor. The burgers was ok, nothing more, the fries were good but I certainly wouldn't recommend the place. In no way can you compare it to IN-N-Out, IN-N-Out is far superior in every way.

mirrodie
2009-10-29, 10:24 PM
Matt, there is a Five Guys on Merrick Rd in Copiague.

Yeah its been 13 months since I had In and Out but I didnt think 5 guys was all that great. Not bad but just overrated and I DO think the McDonalds Angus Burger is better.

As for the trash on the floor, did you have the peanuts? I think part of the 'ambiance' may be throwing the peanut shells on the floor. (at least that would be a smart move so that a dirty floor could work to its decor)

I went nuts eating peanuts....

You know, the BEST burger comes from Bryant and Cooper and comes off my grill. We go pick up a few pounds of meat and make it from ground steak from there. DELICIOUS.

T-Bird76
2009-11-09, 06:07 PM
As for the trash on the floor, did you have the peanuts? I think part of the 'ambiance'

You call it ambiance....I call it filth.

mmedford
2009-11-09, 07:08 PM
If you guys are at LGA...

Try Jackson Hole Diner...

best burger i've EVER had....

NIKV69
2009-11-09, 07:46 PM
You call it ambiance....I call it filth.

I know what Mario is saying, Ground Round used to have peanuts on the floor and it still was a clean dining room but 5 guys was just plain dirty and disgusting. One of the great things about In-N-Out is that even during lunch and dinner rush they send a employee out to wipe everything down and keep things clean. Not happening at the Happauge 5 guys.

best burger i've EVER had

IGM has a little hole in wall cafe in the terminal that has the best burger I have ever eaten, their food in general is just nuts. They have foot high pies too!

mmedford
2009-11-09, 10:36 PM
Well Jackson Hole, is 5 mins down the road from the Marine air Terminal...right off the grand central...

T-Bird76
2009-11-09, 10:45 PM

best burger i've EVER had....

Then you haven't had a good burger. I've been to that dinner, the burger is average.

cancidas
2009-11-10, 01:02 AM
Well Jackson Hole, is 5 mins down the road from the Marine air Terminal...right off the grand central...
bleh!

Matt Molnar
2009-11-22, 10:01 PM
Jackson Hole has some interesting burger varieties, but they're usually just good, nothing spectacular.

engine46
2009-11-28, 01:22 PM
Five Guys opening at the AA food court at LGA! (Where Wendy's used to be). Says 'Opening Winter 2009'. SO EXCITED