PDA

View Full Version : Staaaaaaaart spreeeadin' The News...... Yanks are in !

hiss srq
2009-10-26, 12:35 AM
Yep, a big congrats to the New York Yankees, Joe Girardi and most importantly this time The Boss. What a magnificent game and a great season. I take my hat off as a Mets fan to them and bid best wishes to them against the Phillies. Thats true redemption for a Mets fan when the Phillies get squashed in the World Series. Cheers and well done.

NYARTCCFAN
2009-10-26, 10:39 AM
We will call this World Series The NJ Turnpike series.

Ychocky
2009-10-26, 10:48 AM
I'm pretty stoked for this series.

This has been some good ball so far.

As a Mets fan, go yanks.

PhilDernerJr
2009-10-26, 11:24 AM
As a Mets fan....go Phillies.

There are very few teams that I will root AGAINST. I love good sports games. I'd rather have my team lose in a nail-biter than winby a blowout...that's boring. Sports is a game and it's meant to be fun.

I actually like the Yankees themselves. History and talent, very fun to watch. Their management and the MLB's lack of salary cap enforcement are my first objection, however. Second....are the fans.

I hate logging in to Facebook and seeing obnoxious Yankee comments from people who only started caring about the Yankees once October came around. The louder the comments, the less they seem to know about baseball. If I hear someone say the term "walk off" without there actually having been a walk off, some may get hurt.

I'm sick of seeing Facebook statii from Yankee fans that, upon losing, will never say "man that was a good game," but instead blame their own players and throw them under the bus.

I will root for the Phillies because if the Yanks lose, I won't have to hear the garbage from Yankees fans.

There are however, some Yankee fans that are true fans...and fans for the right reasons. To them I wish them honest luck and hope for some good games.

Steven Holzinger
2009-10-26, 01:10 PM
GO PHILLIES!!!

Sorry, had to. :D

eric8669
2009-10-26, 01:38 PM
GO PHILLIES!

And yes I am a Mets Fan.

Matt Molnar
2009-10-26, 02:11 PM
GO YANKS!

I can't root for the Phillies under any circumstances. While the Mets vs. Phillies rivalry is relatively new (the Mets and Phillies never had good teams at the same time until recently), Philadelphia fans are even more obnoxious than Yankee fans.

Also, the more $ the Yankees make, the sooner they'll regenerate the tax dollars they used to build that atrocious new stadium.

As for the payroll complaints, ideally the rules would be different and there would be a salary cap, but as long as they're playing within the rules, what can you do? There are several teams who spend a ton of money and continue to lose. See: the Mets and Dodgers.

LGA777
2009-10-26, 03:19 PM
A few coments I want to share. First I am a Yankee fan, and have been since childhood in Florida, in part because my long ago deceased father was a big time fan. When my dad was 12 (1924) his parents took him on a trip from Florida to NYC for the first time. My Grandfather took my dad to Yankee Stadium, where they saw Babe Ruth hit a home run. My wide eyed father was hooked, and passed his love of the team on to me

While growing up in Florida their where around 7 of us kids who lived within a 1 block area, and we always hung out together, especially during Summer vacations. We all turned out pretty good, and made something of ourselves. One of our group actually had a so-so career as a Major Leauge Pitcher, and his teams included the Yankees. But that was a while ago and his playing career ended in 2002, and he spent a few years coaching in the minors. But now he is back in the Majors, and is the pitching coach for the Yankees. I am thrilled for him and he loves his job, and I think he is pretty good at it to. He and I and 2 other Florida friends spent an evening together last July. At least then he was still humble and had not forgotten from where he came from. My respect for him is tremendous.

At my job I would gestimate about 1/3 are Yankee fans and 2/3 Met fans. I have one colleauge I am pretty close to who is the biggest Yankee HATER I have ever met. It really takes a lot of the fun out of baseball at work. Even though I LOVE living in NYC I really wish we where and always where a 1 team town. Maybe then 80-90 pct of my coworkers and other friends could all root for the same team. Their would always be some that are fans of team from elsewhere, and I have no problem with that. I have never hated the Mets and are often saddened during their off years. I respect the loyality so many Mets fans have thru good and sadly mostly bad seasons. I would love to see the Mets have more winning seasons, and even another Subway series.

One thing I really hate is when people hate the Yankees because they feel they buy the playoffs and World series with their huge payrolls. While their is some truth to that the way I feel is at least they spend all that money well. I think if your going to hate then hate the Mets Front Office for having the 4th highest payroll in MLB but still loosing year after year. Thats who should be put down I think.

This is all my 2 cents, Thank You for allowing me to ramble, and share my views. In closing I respect that many of us are different when it comes to what teams we like, and perhaps our love of Sports in general. At least we live where we are free to make our own choices !

The End

LGA777

NYARTCCFAN
2009-10-26, 03:22 PM
I as a Yankee fan since 1975 when I started watching sports will alway's cheer on the Mets if the Yankees are not in it(Allegiance to NY baseball wise). Phil you are a traitor in The New York Baseball world. I would never cheer on the Red Sox if they are playing the Mets in the WS.

AirtrafficController
2009-10-26, 04:56 PM
GO Yanks and hit them hard! As a Mets fan, I passionately dislike the Phillies. Three years ago, the Phillies were nobody. Now they are NL East Champs for three straight years. After the Phillies eliminated the Dodgers from the NLCS this year, Philly fans were rioting in the streets wearing t-shirts saying "Phuck NY". The Phillies are still talking about the Mets even tough they finished 23 games behind them. They kept talking about the Mets last year at their World Series parade. It's all the fans and players can think about in my opinion. Is it necessary? No. Go Yanks!

PhilDernerJr
2009-10-26, 05:14 PM
Philadelphia fans are even more obnoxious than Yankee fans.

That is often the case, but if the Phils win, I don't have ot hear it as much as I would if the Yankees won.

I think if your going to hate then hate the Mets Front Office for having the 4th highest payroll in MLB but still loosing year after year.

But that's just it. When the Mets lose, I do't get upset I'm going to support my team no matter what.

You're a great example of what a Yankee fan SHOULD be. Someone with some heart behind it....not a group of people that only come around at playoff time to root for a team they can't name five players on...and then obnoxiously flaunt victories without sportsmanship.

For me, again, no problems with the Yankees themselves, it's just the 80% of their fans that make me love it when they lose.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-10-26, 06:52 PM
I actually like the Yankees themselves. History and talent, very fun to watch. Their management and the MLB's lack of salary cap enforcement are my first objection, however.

You realize the Mets have the second largest payroll at $150,000,000 a year? If there was any correlation between team salaries and championships, the Yankees would have won the World Series the last decade, and the Mets would have won the pennant each of those years as well. The fact that teams with small payrolls such as the Rays, Twins and Marlins (to name a few) have made the playoffs in the last few year and done well, shows me that baseball isn't hurting for a salary cap (not saying there aren't benefits to one though). If you aren't rooting for the Yankees because you think they have too much money and are upset at baseball for not "distributing" money evenly among all teams in the MLB, then I don't see how you can root for the Mets.

I hate logging in to Facebook and seeing obnoxious Yankee comments from people who only started caring about the Yankees once October came around. The louder the comments, the less they seem to know about baseball. If I hear someone say the term "walk off" without there actually having been a walk off, some may get hurt.

Every team is going to have "fair-weather" and band-wagon fans. I'm sure some of the same people would be making the same quotes if the Mets were going to the World Series; unfortunately they struggle to make the playoffs on a yearly basis, so it's not like we'll ever know.. lol

I'm sick of seeing Facebook statii from Yankee fans that, upon losing, will never say "man that was a good game," but instead blame their own players and throw them under the bus.

I'm guilty of this... But to my defense, when your team has a large payroll, and when you pay many of your players more than they would command at other teams, you expect results. I feel sorry for players that struggle in the postseason, but at the same time they aren't paid millions of dollars to try their hardest - they are paid to try their hardest and come up big. Maybe the reason the Yankees do so much better than the Mets is because players understand that when playing for the Yankees, there comes an expectation to do well and anything less than a postseason berth is unacceptable. I'm not so sure the mentality is the same with the Mets.

I don't think it's fair or even accurate to label Yankee fans "less classy" as Mets fans. I've run into some very unsportsmanlike and "unclassy" Mets fans. I've also run into some very unsportsmanlike and "unclassy" Yankee, Red Sox, Phillie, Rockie, Dodger, Angel etc.. etc.. fans. Every team has them. If anything I'd argue that Yankee fans represent a broader spectrum, and therefore more accurate picture of New Yorkers.

All I can say is that if the Red Sox were playing the Mets in the World Series, as a Yankee fan, I would root for the Mets; not just because I hate Boston, but because the Mets are a New York team and if the Yankees aren't in it, I'd like to see another team from my city represent well!

NIKV69
2009-10-26, 07:07 PM
I am not surprised to see the Met fans root againsts the Yankees. Truth is the Mets will probably never win another world series and it has to be tough to be the 2nd team in NY. In fact their win in 86' was mostly facilitated by a horrible error by Bill Bruckner. It's ok because the Mets are simply not closers. They can't close the deal. The Yankees are the winningest team in professional sports for a reason. They are winners. They get the big hit, get the big out and rise to the occasion. Much as the reason Italy has won 4 World cups. They know how to win. It's something that can't be taught. I am glad we have got back to the fall classic and I think we have a good chance if CC can pitch to form. I am excited and invite all the Met fans to watch and enjoy some good baseball.

Gerard
2009-10-26, 07:40 PM
>As for the payroll complaints, ideally the rules would be different and there would be a salary cap, but as long as they're playing within the rules, what can you do? There are several teams who spend a ton of money and continue to lose. See: the Mets and Dodgers.[/quote]

There are a lot of teams that make money but refuse to re-invest in their team like the Yankees. Win or lose they are never afraid to go
out and try to make the franchise a winner. They've brought in a lotta of clunker free agents over the years which is one of the reasons why they havent been to the series in 6 years and barely got out of the first round after that. I know lots of fans around the country would love to have the Steinbrenners as owners. And all that prosperity trickles down to the people that work in and around the Stadium.
BTW born and bred a Yankee fan by my Dad who went to Richmond Hill HS with "The Scooter".
And not obnoxious either. :lol:

PhilDernerJr
2009-10-26, 08:18 PM
I am not surprised to see the Met fans root againsts the Yankees. Truth is the Mets will probably never win another world series and it has to be tough to be the 2nd team in NY. In fact their win in 86' was mostly facilitated by a horrible error by Bill Bruckner. It's ok because the Mets are simply not closers. They can't close the deal. The Yankees are the winningest team in professional sports for a reason. They are winners. They get the big hit, get the big out and rise to the occasion. Much as the reason Italy has won 4 World cups. They know how to win. It's something that can't be taught. I am glad we have got back to the fall classic and I think we have a good chance if CC can pitch to form. I am excited and invite all the Met fans to watch and enjoy some good baseball.

Like I said, I don't dislike the team itself. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the magic that I've seen happen on the field at the handsof Yankees for the past 28 years of my life. It's the fans that ruin it.

mirrodie
2009-10-26, 10:00 PM
Im not a huge fan of baseball or of any team in general.

That said, I find that the Yankees are certainly a more theatrical team. Lets face it, how many times do you have the nail biters, down by a few points only to win?

I will usually root for the NY team regardless. And yes Phil, you are so dead on, its usally the fans that ruin it.

Gerard
2009-10-26, 10:32 PM
>That said, I find that the Yankees are certainly a more theatrical team. Lets face it, how many times do you have the nail biters, down by a few points only to win? <

Hehehe "runs" not "points" :)

hiss srq
2009-10-27, 11:56 AM
This song is becoming HUGE on the airwaves. Z100 Elvis Duran wrote it. Its a remix on one of the more popular hip hop songs out right now. Im not a hip hop fan but its ok.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzM9oy4utzI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzM9oy4utzI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gerard
2009-10-27, 06:43 PM
This song is becoming HUGE on the airwaves. Z100 Elvis Duran wrote it. Its a remix on one of the more popular hip hop songs out right now. Im not a hip hop fan but its ok.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzM9oy4utzI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzM9oy4utzI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What the..........????? :lol:
I believe it is a remix of the Jay Z song which he actually had them stop playing then I guess they worked out an agreement.
And Jay Z and AlicIA Key will be performing it before the 1st game tomorrow night.

Gerard
2009-10-27, 06:46 PM
Iif anyone is going get there early.
FLOTUS and VP FLOTUS (??) will be attending
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... _yank.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/10/27/2009-10-27_michelle_obama_and_dr_jill_biden_will_attend_ga me_1_of_world_series_between_yank.html)

Matt Molnar
2009-10-28, 02:17 PM
SLOTUS (Second Lady)

Gerard
2009-10-28, 06:22 PM
SLOTUS (Second Lady)

Sounds dirty!! :x

Gerard
2009-10-28, 06:26 PM
BTW supposed to be an F-18 Flyby tonite but not sure with the clouds. At 6PM the ENG ships were all working over
the Stadium so maybe.

flyboy 28
2009-10-28, 06:43 PM
BTW supposed to be an F-18 Flyby tonite but not sure with the clouds. At 6PM the ENG ships were all working over
the Stadium so maybe.

That just means it'll be nice and low. :borat:

Though, how about the flyby in my avatar? That'd be a sight to see again.

Chris S
2009-10-29, 01:02 PM
I hear the 3-ship F/A-18F Flyover by the VFA-11 Red Rippers from Oceana has been
rescheduled for tonight instead so keep an eye out for them over by LGA today. :wink:

LGA777
2009-10-29, 07:04 PM
Have been informed the F/A-18's will be landing at LGA after the flyover, so I assume depart mid afternoon Friday, that is the usual deal !

Regards

LGA777

LGA777
2009-10-29, 11:58 PM
Got a better than expected view of the flyover from our Ramp Tower at LGA, ended up being 2 not 3 FA-18's. Did not make the comon formation landing, perhaps due to darkness, landed about 60 seconds apart on 22.

Cheers

LGA777

Gerard
2009-10-30, 11:36 AM

What the..........????? :lol:
I believe it is a remix of the Jay Z song which he actually had them stop playing then I guess they worked out an agreement.
And Jay Z and AlicIA Key will be performing it before the 1st game tomorrow night.

Wow pretty hot performance. The song is kinda getting "played" too much but this sounded great. And I love that JayZ
uses a LIVE BAND as opposed to pre-recorded tapes.

Tom_Turner
2009-10-30, 06:51 PM
I am not surprised to see the Met fans root againsts the Yankees. Truth is the Mets will probably never win another world series and it has to be tough to be the 2nd team in NY. In fact their win in 86' was mostly facilitated by a horrible error by Bill Bruckner. It's ok because the Mets are simply not closers. They can't close the deal.

Hey Nick, I'm gonna have to correct you on that one. Consider the following three points.

People want to remember the Bill Buckner play, but the fact is that the Mets lost game 2 - due entirely to an infield error. Score 1-0
From Wiki...

" In the opener, Boston's Bruce Hurst dazzled the New Yorkers with his looping curve and forkball, allowing only four hits over eight innings. New York's Ron Darling was equally effective, yielding only an unearned run in the seventh inning when Mets second baseman Tim Teufel Gooden pitching and Tim Tuefel let a ball go between his legs at second base and the Red Sox won that game. by that very error."

Secondly, Mookie Wilson would likely have beat the play at first base anyway.

Lastly, the Mets managed three consecutive hits with 2 outs in the bottom of that inning and they were not just one out away from losing the Series with each of those three batters, Kevin Mitchel, Ray Knight and Gary Carter, but Mookie went to two strikes - one swing away from oblivion and took big swings fouling off several two strike pitches - thats just brutal. The Red Sox were the ones that didn't close.

And, really, the Mets played arguably the best game of all time in the 16 innings versus Houston in the National League Playoff Series...

Granted the Mets squandered their talent, and as a Mets fan, I am just going to say the organization routinely sucks, but I would not take 1986 away from them in any way shape or form.

As for now, I knew the Yankees could not touch Cliff Lee if he was on. But I am hoping the Yankees defeat the Phillies in this World Series. Wouldn't bother me at all. I really don't care for the Phillies at all.

Tom

hiss srq
2009-10-31, 12:28 PM
Interesting detail about the Yankees commute to PHL. It didnt involve wings. They had a specially chartered AMTRAK train from NY down to Philly. I wonder if any of our train spotters here were aware of that movement.

Gerard
2009-10-31, 03:45 PM
Interesting detail about the Yankees commute to PHL. It didnt involve wings. They had a specially chartered AMTRAK train from NY down to Philly. I wonder if any of our train spotters here were aware of that movement.

The Phillies did the same thing when they came in. I guess this is a "green" WS.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-11-01, 02:31 AM
Yea, it makes no sense to fly from NYC to Philly.. I think usually teams just take charter buses back and forth, but to hear they took Amtrak is pretty cool!

I had to fortune of getting some good tickets for "cheap" to the game tonight. What a great game, even with the rain! For everyone that blasted the Yankee fans that left Game 1 before the end, Philly fans weren't much better. After Matsui's HR fans were fleeing for the exits...

Gerard
2009-11-01, 10:57 AM
Yea, it makes no sense to fly from NYC to Philly.. I think usually teams just take charter buses back and forth, but to hear they took Amtrak is pretty cool!

I had to fortune of getting some good tickets for "cheap" to the game tonight. What a great game, even with the rain! For everyone that blasted the Yankee fans that left Game 1 before the end, Philly fans weren't much better. After Matsui's HR fans were fleeing for the exits...

You really cant blame people for leaving both games when the scores are the way they were. Both nights were rainy, cool and late
hours. And Wed. being a week night maybe people had to get up and go to work the next day.

Matt Molnar
2009-11-01, 05:09 PM
And Wed. being a week night maybe people had to get up and go to work the next day.
Yeah right, as if working folks could afford to go to a Yankees game (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/slashed_ticket_prices_allow_lesser). :mrgreen:

USAF Pilot 07
2009-11-02, 12:59 AM
You know, the majority of people that left last (Saturday Gm3) night were in the upper deck where the "true" fans are supposed to sit... I give the Philly fans that stayed a lot of props, especially since Yankee fans started to overpower the Philly crowd.. Either way, I don't think anyone can trash talk too much. Fact is that when you're down 3, 4, or 5 runs going into the 8th/9th fans are going to leave; regardless of what city you're in.

What a game tonight though; this is what postseason baseball is all about! I think the Yankees showed why they are the best team in baseball; not just with their bats but with heads up plays both offensively and defensively (namely Damon's ruthless at-bat and subsequent "double-steal" in the 9th)... Regardless of who you are, you gotta tip your cap to the Yankees.

Gerard
2009-11-02, 08:00 PM
. Fact is that when you're down 3, 4, or 5 runs going into the 8th/9th fans are going to leave; regardless of what city you're in.

Or any of the 4 major sports. If there is a blowout, bye bye.
I hope they wrap it up tonite. I need a good nights sleep. :)

Delta777LR
2009-11-05, 01:22 AM
Pretty exciting night I was watch the Yankees win the 27th World series against the Phillies 7-3. It was a great game. Yankees parade is likely to be on Friday.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-11-05, 06:27 PM
Great series! The two best teams made it to the World Series, and I'm glad the Yankees came out on top and brought the Championship back to NY!

Phillies are a good team - they had some bad breaks, coupled with some slumping hitters and stupid plays. The Yankees outplayed them and were just smarter overall. Even with their current lineup I think the Phillies are already the NL favorites for next year.

Living in Philly and having to put up with the Philly media and fans for the past couple of weeks has made this win even better. A lot of these fans are more obnoxious than Mets fans and seem to be living in their own "Phillies are the greatest team in the world" bubble. It was so nice to hear the streets so quiet last night!

I wish I didn't have a sim tomorrow or I'd be at the parade!

Gerard
2009-11-05, 07:40 PM
>I wish I didn't have a sim tomorrow or I'd be at the parade![/quote]

Love to go but work calls :) plus I left early today due to Yankee Exhaustion :) (4 hours sleep last night).
And unless you get there early tomorrow its gonna be a ZOOOOOOOOO!!!! Being a Friday a helluva lot of people
will be calling out with Yankee Flu!!!!!
WOW that was so great last night!!!!

Gerard
2009-11-05, 07:45 PM
Girardi to the Rescue

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/ ... id=4625899 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4625899)