PDA

View Full Version : 5:05PM

Gerard
2009-10-14, 09:08 PM
Coming home this evening on the LIRR and just as we were passing the New Hyde Park Station I looked up to see two JFK 22
inbounds pretty damn close from my perspective. One was coming from the NE pretty fast while the second was coming up behind
from the SE moving slowly and starting to bank towards JFK. I looked at my watch and saw it was 5:05. I gather everything was
in control but it looked quite close. And coming behind them in the distance from the NE was some big sombitch low and slow that
looked really cool. :)

AirtrafficController
2009-10-14, 10:41 PM
This is a normal procedure by NY TRACON for vectoring aircraft to the VOR/DME Runway 22L approach. The approach you saw Gerard is seen when traffic is light and NY approach instructs the aircraft to turn "early" if the aircraft in front is at the same weight class or less. If it was a heavy behind a large weight class, the approach you saw probably wouldn't occur due to increased separation because of wake turbulence.
Hope this helps.

Gerard
2009-10-18, 10:02 PM
Thanks. I've seen this a few other times and it always freaks me out. Imagine what non-aviation people must think
when they see this? :o