PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Eliminated from Olympic bid

T-Bird76
2009-10-02, 11:53 AM
Just broke on the news Chicago is out as a host of the 2016 Olympic Summer games. Glad our Prez went over to secure the bid..... Not surprised really, Chicago is a blah city lacking real culture and sophistication. While it’s a blow to the economy this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

mirrodie
2009-10-02, 12:07 PM
Catch that UAL747 while u can

Matt Molnar
2009-10-02, 01:30 PM
Congrats, Chicago/America, you lost to one of the poorest and most violent major cities in the the world, sunny Rio!

NIKV69
2009-10-02, 02:11 PM
Congrats, Chicago/America, you lost to one of the poorest and most violent major cities in the the world, sunny Rio!

I actually think our actions lost it more than the geography. Michelle Obama and Oprah went there with just a little too much bravado and entitlement and I think it alienated us with the Olympic committee who is the last group who would appreciate the tactics that the Obama's and Oprah used. It backfired badly and being out of the voting first was a slap in the face.

JHNA57
2009-10-02, 02:23 PM
Given the financial track records of past Olympics, and the world security situation, is this really a loss???

Matt Molnar
2009-10-02, 03:02 PM
Given the financial track records of past Olympics, and the world security situation, is this really a loss???
Nope. I was happy NY when didn't get 2012. Imagine what a mess that would be right now with the city and state on the verge of being insolvent as it is. Chicago and Illinois are not in much better shape.

I actually think our actions lost it more than the geography. Michelle Obama and Oprah went there with just a little too much bravado and entitlement and I think it alienated us with the Olympic committee who is the last group who would appreciate the tactics that the Obama's and Oprah used. It backfired badly and being out of the voting first was a slap in the face.
Their antics did make them (and us) look foolish but I'm not sure that's what lost the bid. I have a feeling the IOC wanted Rio all along just for some "continental diversity." And despite the city's shadiness, they did have a very strong bid...much of the necessary infrastructure is going to be finished two years ahead of time for the World Cup 2014.

moose135
2009-10-02, 03:11 PM
Never miss a chance to blame Obama, do you, Nick?

Midnight Mike
2009-10-02, 03:15 PM

The Olympics are normally a financial boom for the host city, had Chicago won to be the host city a tremendous amount of investment would have been brought into Chicago....

As for President Obama, this is one big failure on his part, shame.

NIKV69
2009-10-02, 04:22 PM
Never miss a chance to blame Obama, do you, Nick

So your telling me if Chicago got it MSNBC and CNN would not have been praising the Obamas and Oprah on their win? If you are going to put this man on a pedestal when he accomplishes something you should also be ready to shoulder the blame when he doesn't. The whole push was basically forced on him by the city of Chicago and Oprah and Michelle Obama I think came on a bit too strong. Also leaving before the decision was another tactical gaff and gave him and this country a sense of entitlement and also rumor has he wasn't even watching the final decision. Seems to me his effort was a little half hearted. If you are going to continue to follow him and give him your unconditional support fine I respect that but his presidency has not been anything close to what he promised in January and I will continue to call him out when he fails and this attempted power grab failure is just another instance where I did so. Another thing to consider is how the left wing media hypes things like this. MSNBC and CNN had this a foregone conclusion and basically had egg on their faces when we were the first ones out. In fact the MSNBC anchor covering it was shocked when we were eliminated. If you are going to raise the stakes way up you better be sure he can deliver because it hurts big time.

Edit

My mistake it was a CNN anchor. Now your telling me there is no entitlement here? This anchor ceased being a reporter of the news and it was very enlightening. I guess Spain is not that worthy huh?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b38_1254501645

T-Bird76
2009-10-02, 07:33 PM
So your telling me if Chicago got it MSNBC and CNN would not have been praising the Obamas and Oprah on their win?

I don't think you can debate this statement...Nick is right about that. The press would be heavily giving Obama credit for his efforts. The press should also look at his failures, but that won't happen.

Tom_Turner
2009-10-02, 07:56 PM
J Not surprised really, Chicago is a blah city lacking real culture and sophistication.

LOL... the City with Broad Shoulders, The Windy City, Chi-Town, the 2nd City? :)

Say it isn't so.... :)

Tom

Midnight Mike
2009-10-02, 08:50 PM
October 3, 2009
Obama’s Olympic failure will only add to doubts about his presidency

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 859031.ece (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6859031.ece)

There has been a growing narrative taking hold about Barack Obama’s presidency in recent weeks: that he is loved by many, but feared by none; that he is full of lofty vision, but is actually achieving nothing with his grandiloquence.

Chicago’s dismal showing yesterday, after Mr Obama’s personal, impassioned last-minute pitch, is a stunning humiliation for this President. It cannot be emphasised enough how this will feed the perception that on the world stage he looks good — but carries no heft.

mirrodie
2009-10-02, 09:44 PM
IMHO, Obama should have stayed home and taken care of hte more important stuff.

Further, WTF does Oprah need to be bringing her big ass over to Copenhagen for? They should have kept her big butt home with Steadman or Harpo. Unreal.

A lot of showboating Chicagoans when Rio put it right out there and rightly deserved it. And Lord knows their economy could use it just as much as ours.

Congrats to Rio. Silly Obama. Next time, Leave Oprah home.

NIKV69
2009-10-02, 11:19 PM
IMHO, Obama should have stayed home and taken care of hte more important stuff.

Actually I would have liked to see Obama go there (either alone or with his family) and stay the whole time right through the vote and been a little more humble. Someone on the anet thread brought up the fact his and hers presentation contained a lot of the words "Me" and "I" and sounded like a campaign speech which has become his MO lately. In addition of course Oprah should have not been there either. That just gave the impression of a power grab and I am convinced alienated the voters and really did drive the point home that this was a Chicago thing and not a USA thing.

Rio put it right out there and rightly deserved it. And Lord knows their economy could use it just as much as ours.

Yep and did you see the Brazilian president crying after they won? It was awesome to see him so happy after he and his country has been through so much. This is a huge step for that country and the WC in 2014 and this in 2016 is a big shot in the arm. Now Embraer just needs to build a jumbo jet that all the airlines want.

Tom_Turner
2009-10-04, 06:18 PM
I am sure Chicago would've been fine, but I agree, its Brazil's turn here. They're worthy & deserve it as much as anyone.

Tom

coachrowsey
2009-10-04, 06:36 PM
Thank DHS & all that goes with it.