PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Cards

cancidas
2009-09-15, 07:40 PM
this is related to my post on netbook computers. i'm searching around looking for broadband accounts for my father. anyone here use them? if so, who is the account with and how is your service? price isn't much of a factor, it just HAS to work.

mmedford
2009-09-15, 08:09 PM
Then I'd recommend going with a Verizon card...

I believe they also have that free netbook with service contract...

bonanzabucks
2009-09-15, 08:45 PM
Biggest two are Sprint and Verizon. Sprint's is faster, but Verizon has better coverage. Sprint's also includes GPS, which Verizon doesn't have.

Good comparison listed here:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/09/ ... more-34699 (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/09/15/sprint-mifi-verizon-mifi-road-tested/#more-34699)

Matt Molnar
2009-09-16, 12:39 AM
Verizon, Sprint and AT&T now sell netbooks with built in cards and subsidized pricing when you sign a two year data contract, just like they do with cell phones. Sprint has one for $99, AT&T and Verizon start at $199. Check em out.

Derf
2009-09-16, 08:08 AM
I use my Iphone as a broadband modem and run off the 3g network with AT@T. I do not know if you are suppose to be able to do it but tethering as it is called is disabled in the U.S. but not in Europe. I usually do not leave the house with my laptop, but when I do, it is awesome as I always have my phone. Plug in and get about 1 to 1.5 Mbps. It does not sound like much but it seems to be ok for cell service. My friend has a wireless card with Verizon and likes my speed better, which surprised me to say the least. The best part is I do not pay a dime for the internet service as I have unlimited on the phone.

On a side note.. I rarely use my pc anymore, only mainly for editing photos. I usually go on the forum and check email from my phone.

When I jailbroke my phone, it really took it to a next level... besides that I listen to ATC, Realtime Weather, have my entire website of 17,000+ photos downloaded to it, video camcorder, photos can upload direct to my site with gps info included, can listen to 50+GIG worth of music from my home machine with 3 seconds of delay only, it has Google Maps, Tom tom, realtime weather from about 20 different sources including radar, photo apps and timers for my HDR, Depth of field calcs, office readers, every traffic cam real time in the NYC area as well as around the world, locates cheapest gas from where I am and directs me with GPS, finds nearest food, track and logs gps location for plotting on google maps, Mosquito repellent, Carpenter's level, tip calc, router info and utilities for network diags, facebook (for wife only), World tides (good for blanket placement at airshows), Red laser will scan bar codes and find cheapest paces on the internt and take you right there to buy!, subway maps, emergency radio (not really for listing to see if the cops were called on you), trapster traffic camera notifications, satalite trackers, planet moon and sun info, Flight tracking by time to see what is coming next, HUD for my car (REALLY WORKS WELL!) wifi finders, White/yellow pages, reverse phone number lookups, for flight utilities for pilots (including all jepp charts), DSLR remote for live view wireless to iphone (Camera has to be theathered to pc, upload video direct to my site from phone..... Many MANY more things, but that is just some of the thing I use each week.

OH, And internet browsing, watching moves, and MAKING CALLS!

I do not use the phone for phonecalls that often tho!

bonanzabucks
2009-09-16, 02:02 PM
A lot of people have used their smartphones (including the Iphone) as a broadband modem. With the Iphone, AT&T doesn’t like it at all and they’ve locked heads with Apple over it (Apple for it and AT&T against). I thought AT&T cut the tethering option, but I guess not.

Derf
2009-09-16, 03:41 PM
They did :wink:

There are ways around that 8)

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-09-16, 09:16 PM
If you plan on using your mobile smart phone as a modem be CAREFUL and READ the contract. Ive heard horror stories of people racking up $50,000 in data charges.

cancidas
2009-09-16, 09:28 PM
we're going with verizon wireless, a PCII card and thier 5GB monthly access plan.

now comes the hard part, teaching my old man how to use the damn thing... :wink: