PDA

View Full Version : Bloombergs Plane hit by bird

planelove
2009-09-03, 09:49 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/09032009/ne ... 187937.htm (http://www.nypost.com/seven/09032009/news/regionalnews/mike_bird_of_pray_187937.htm)

looks like he was in a 900EX. My favorite :D

"There's nothing to say," the mogul, who has three Dassault Falcons, said. "A bird hit a plane. Birds hit planes in the New York area 400 times a year."

3 Falcons and still is a regular New Yorker...lol

cancidas
2009-09-03, 10:23 AM
what other airplanes does he own? did he ever own a Falcon 10?

moose135
2009-09-03, 10:30 AM
Does this mean he's going to have them gas the birds in the Hamptons next?

Matt Molnar
2009-09-03, 01:04 PM
3 Falcons and still is a regular New Yorker...lol
Unlike most rich New Yorkers getting chauffeured around in their biz jets, Bloomberg often climbs up to the cockpit and flies the plane himself! So there. :) (Though I think he was in the back during this incident.)

Gerard
2009-09-03, 07:57 PM
Doesnt he have a Bell 430 or maybe a 109?
When he first became Mayor he actually sat in the cockpit of one of PDs 412s as it flew from the Bronx to S.I. I believe he also flew it for awhile.

lijk604
2009-09-04, 09:29 AM
Doesnt he have a Bell 430 or maybe a 109?
When he first became Mayor he actually sat in the cockpit of one of PDs 412s as it flew from the Bronx to S.I. I believe he also flew it for awhile.

I know he used to have a helicopter...when I was at my first charter job in FRG his office chartered our EC135 while his bird was down for MX. That was about 3 years ago...not sure what he is hopping around in now.

Mateo
2009-09-04, 09:22 PM
He usually uses 47EG, which is the one that often shows up in Washington when he's known to be in town. There's also 44EG and 900MV, which I've seen less often (although at least 3 times each) so my guess is that those are more for the company than Bloomberg himself. I saw A109 6MV (later 30MV, and now 6QV) at the same hangar as one of the Falcons at MMU, but it was registered to a generically-named LLC, so I can't confirm it. The whole fleet is based at Morristown.

Gerard
2009-09-06, 05:33 PM
[quote="Mateo"]He usually uses 47EG, which is the one that often shows up in Washington when he's known to be in town.

Doesnt Bloomberg use PD ships sometimes when he flies down there on official city business or does he use the jets all the time?
I know past mayors used the PD 412s reconfigured in the executive transport mode to fly down there.

Mateo
2009-09-07, 11:22 PM
Never seen an NYPD helo down here, and I would imagine the New York Post would have a field day if Bloomberg used one of the Koalas. It's out of his pocket anyway, so why not take something that's much faster and much more comfortable.

Big Tim #70
2009-09-08, 08:47 AM
I'm guessing he was taking off from East Hampton?

I flew there yesterday. The airport was a real S##$ show.

nyslides
2009-09-21, 06:48 PM
what other airplanes does he own? did he ever own a Falcon 10?

He has 1 Falcon 900B (N44EG), 2 Falcon 900EX's (N47EG & N900MV), 1 King Air 350 (N672MM) and one Agusta 109E (N6MV).

He's been a Falcon fan forever, so he might have owned a Falcon 10 at one time - not sure.

He also has a Bell 609 on order in order to be able to commute directly from the Wall Street heliport to his property in Bermuda!

50 gorgeous virgins couldn't get me to make that trip in a chopper, especially in one as complicated as the 609.

He will not fly on anything he doesn't own, whether it's for NYC business or his own needs, so you will NOT see him in a NYPD chopper. He also doesn't charge the city back for any of his flying when he flies on NYC business - let's not forget that his yearly salary is $1.- He doesn't charge, he can do what he wants with his birds - very simple.

mmedford
2009-09-21, 07:12 PM
50 gorgeous virgins

Could you believe in that entire post, that was the only thing that stood out to me...?

I would have thought the bird was hired by one of our' city's unions...to off the guy.

Tom_Turner
2009-09-21, 08:24 PM
He also has a Bell 609 on order in order to be able to commute directly from the Wall Street heliport to his property in Bermuda!

He's going to take a helicopter from NYC to Bermuda? Why would he do that if he has corporate jets?

Tom

Gerard
2009-09-21, 08:44 PM

He's going to take a helicopter from NYC to Bermuda? Why would he do that if he has corporate jets?

Tom

The 609 is a civil version tilt-rotor.

nyslides
2009-09-22, 10:36 AM

Tom

Time savings and so much less of a hassle - look at the facts:

BY PLANE:

Chopper from Wall Street to MMU - 12 minutes
go from chopper to Falcon - 5 minutes
Block time from MMU to BDA - 2 hours
drive from BDA to Bloomberg Bermuda property - 40 minutes
Total elapsed travel time: 2:57

BY CHOPPER

Chopper from Wall Street to Bermuda Bloomberg property - 2:45
Total elapsed travel time: 2:45 with no possiblity of airport delays or the hassle of having to utilize 4 different modes of transport (car to chopper to Falcon to car)

You may ask how I know all this - not for publication on an internet site, but I have a pretty good inside view of what goes on there.

Tom_Turner
2009-09-23, 02:18 AM
Gerard, nyslides; Thank you. I forgot about the Civil Tiltrotor designation.

I am guessing Bloomberg's going to get the 1st one or close to that. Are there any Bell 609s in private hands at the moment or is it still a couple of years out? I recall some skepticism with the program in recent time, although Bell was apparently going to stick with it.

I had wondered if JRB was going to accommodate these or not; seems reasonable any self respecting Billionaire might want to utilize these from NYC within a given radius.

Tom

moose135
2009-09-23, 08:16 AM
Are there any Bell 609s in private hands at the moment or is it still a couple of years out? I recall some skepticism with the program in recent time, although Bell was apparently going to stick with it.
No, the 609 is still in flight test, certification is a few years away. Coincidentally, this report appeared on Monday:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... ramme.html (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/09/21/332427/agustawestland-looks-to-take-full-control-of-ba609-civil-tiltrotor-programme.html)

AgustaWestland looks to take full control of BA609 civil tiltrotor programme
By Luca Peruzzi
DATE:21/09/09
SOURCE:Flight International

Italian rotorcraft maker AgustaWestland hopes to acquire control of the BA609 civil tiltrotor programme it shares with Bell Helicopter, in order to speed up the aircraft's certification and delivery to market.

Chief executive Giuseppe Orsi says negotiations are ongoing and adds that AgustaWestland's parent, the Italian industrial giant Finmeccanica, "has authorised us to conclude negotiations within certain conditions to reach this important achievement".

Orsi was speaking during the 35th annual Ambrosetti economic development conference at Lake Como, Italy, which featured a presentation of the VertiPass study on rotorcraft within the framework of a future integrated national mobility plan for Italy. The event also featured a BA609 flying display.

Also present was Finmeccanica president and chief executive Pier Francesco Guarguaglini, who forecast that the world market for BA6090s would be 500 aircraft within 10 years of first delivery, including 40-50 aircraft to be sold to Italian government agencies. According to Orsi, BA609 certification in the US and European Union is currently on schedule for 2013. He says more than 80 aircraft have been ordered so far by some 40 customers, including government agencies, with an expected price above €20 million ($29 million) depending on configuration.

So far, the Bell-AgustaWestland BA609 joint venture has completed two of four planned prototypes, with one flying in Italy and a second in the USA. A third aircraft is currently in production.

Bell would not comment on the development.

Recent years have seen Bell's share of the world market for civil helicopters slide from just over a half of the market to barely a fifth in unit terms, with Eurocopter enjoying the dominance Bell once had. By value, figures from Teal Group analysts in Washington show Eurocopter and AgustaWestland led the 2008 civil market with 38% and 34% respectively, leaving Bell third with 11%.

But tiltrotor technology has been a boost for Bell, with the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey military tiltrotor proving popular with the US Marines. After the 2008 Farnborough air show Bell's executive vice-president for customer solutions Mike Blake said that while the company has no short-term expectations for the BA609, it believes the tiltrotor's combination of vertical lift with a tripling of range and doubling of speed compared with helicopters will one day win over civil fliers if the machines are affordable.

Gerard
2009-09-25, 06:06 PM
Ooops Bloombergs helo had a confused flight last night........

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/09 ... tead_.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/09/24/2009-09-24_chopper_confusion_bloombergs_pilot_botched_a_la nding_and_instead_.html)

emshighway
2009-09-25, 07:39 PM
Ooops Bloombergs helo had a confused flight last night........

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/09 ... tead_.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/09/24/2009-09-24_chopper_confusion_bloombergs_pilot_botched_a_la nding_and_instead_.html)

Little bit of a different story than what I heard. I heard Bloomy was in the chopper (possibly at the controls) and landed at the wrong location. FAA pulled pilots cert making Bloomberg take a car home while pilot was taken to Teterboro to meet with FAA.