PDA

View Full Version : 727 and 737 at MMU in the 80s

Mateo
2009-08-25, 10:14 PM
I used to do a lot of flying out of Morristown/MMU in the 1986-1990 time frame, and remember that someone based at first a 727 and then a 737 there. I have a very vague recollection that it may have been Doris Duke. Can anyone confirm this and, if so, do you know the identities of said jetliners?

Hussman75
2009-09-04, 11:26 AM
MMU! Spent many Tuesday nights and Saturdays there during my Civil Air Patrol days... The 737 was in fact Doris Duke's personal bird; always parked at the Allied Signal hangars which were right next to our CAP trailer at the entrance to the West Tie Down ramp. Awesome sight to see them fire that bird up, and breakaway thrust would always shower us (and several rows of GA aircraft) with reeds and grass clippings. As far as the short 727 went, I'm not sure who owned that aircraft, but in the late '80's it was often seen parked up on the south ramp in front of the old Jet Aviation hangar. Jaw dropping sight to see an aircraft of that size go blasting out of MMU's piddly little 6,000ft main runway!

HTH!