PDA

View Full Version : Runway Selection at JFK

Speedbird1
2009-08-24, 10:53 AM
It always baffled me why JFK Airport in particular, often selects to use runways not aligned into the wind. For instance, this morning, with a wind of 020 degrees at 8, they are using the Rwy 22 combination. I know that runway selection can be flexible but wouldn't using the 4's be wiser? There must be a reason that I am unaware of. This has happened numerous times in the past. Maybe there are taxiway closures on the 4's?

moose135
2009-08-24, 11:32 AM
Some of it could be due to airfield work, but I think a bigger part is noise abatement - it looks like they try to spread the pain, and will shift between runways to keep any one area from getting pounded all day long. Many times when we're out at Firestone all afternoon shooting 31 arrivals, they will switch to the 22s around 5pm, even without a significant wind shift.

cancidas
2009-08-24, 02:18 PM
keep in mind that the FAA controller working not only take into account the winds at the field at the time, but also forecast winds, traffic requirements at the field as well as what EWR and LGA are using for actives and the demands of NY Center. they're very good at thier jobs, we're but mere on-lookers...

mmedford
2009-08-24, 05:03 PM
keep in mind that the FAA controller working not only take into account the winds at the field at the time, but also forecast winds, traffic requirements at the field as well as what EWR and LGA are using for actives and the demands of NY Center. they're very good at thier jobs, we're but mere on-lookers...

he is indeed right, the pit bosses at N90 are damn good at what they do for transitioning aircraft in & out of the airspace...

plus they also make all the crucial decisions; eg..running ILS 13L @ JFK...

Matt Molnar
2009-08-24, 05:27 PM
...as well as what EWR and LGA are using for actives...
I was under the impression that EWR and LGA have to switch to fulfill JFK's needs, not the other way around. :?:

mmedford
2009-08-24, 05:51 PM
...as well as what EWR and LGA are using for actives...
I was under the impression that EWR and LGA have to switch to fulfill JFK's needs, not the other way around. :?:

Not entirely true...

All 3 airports work together...

But again there are cases when JFK trumps others... as previously mentioned; ILS 13L CAT-2...

njgtr82
2009-08-24, 09:52 PM
EWR doesnt change configuration regardless of what the other two are on. TEB follows EWR though

mmedford
2009-08-24, 10:18 PM
EWR doesnt change configuration regardless of what the other two are on. TEB follows EWR though

I do know our CAT-2 13L shuts down LGA & possible TEB...

But once CAT-2 is reached...LGA is pretty much shut down anyway... they don't have a true CAT-2 environment...