PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Game Night Photography

BDLGUY
2009-08-02, 03:27 PM
On August 14th, my family and I are going to watch the New Britain Rock Cats baseball game at 7:00pm. But I need your help how to take photos the baseball game during the night. Your suggestion and advice would be greatly appreciated. In the past, I've been photographing the baseball games during the daylight.

Thanks a lot! :)
John Perrotta

Matt Molnar
2009-08-03, 12:38 PM
There shouldn't be much difference. The lights are made to simulate sunlight, so the action on the field should be pretty close to the brightness of a day game, especially on the infield.

moose135
2009-08-03, 06:49 PM
At a minor league ball park, I wouldn't assume the lighting will be great - it's often a far cry from what you get at an MLB park. I haven't shot there recently, but looking at some stuff I shot at a Ducks game a few years ago, I was at ISO 400 and should have gone higher to get an acceptable shutter speed. Your best bet would be to shoot as close to wide open as you think you can, set a shutter speed that will avoid blur/shake, and bump the ISO as needed based on your histogram. Probably won't be pretty...

lijk604
2009-08-03, 10:05 PM
Make sure you have fast glass! Using the Canon 100-400 L IS lens the best F-stop you will get is f/4.5...if you use the 70-200 f/2.8 (provided you own one) you will get much better results. Dont be afraid to shoot at ISO 800 either, noise is minimal at that range, and like Moose said...shoot as wide open as possible.