PDA

View Full Version : WN LGA Ops on July 29-30

LGA777
2009-07-30, 10:11 AM
As many of you know the NY area had extreme weather conditons on the afternoon and evening of Wed July 29 which obiviously caused massive delays at the area airports, and WN was not imune. Checking flightaware this morning I noticed something unique as to how these delay effected WN. The last arrival for any aircraft last night was SWA 91 from MDW touching down from MDW at 0117. I opened up this morning and even though LGA does not open until 0600 due to the construction curfew I was surprised to see a WN 737 touch down at 0544, operating as WN 8501 from BWI, meaning last arrival in last nite and first arrival in this morning. If that's not enought they also operated yesterdays last LGA departure as WN 242 to MDW finally lifted off and took to the skies at 0237 this morning, ouch.

They also had 3 aircraft on the gates simotainisly, for a little while this morning.

This is by no means an anti or bash WN thread, only sharing the uniquness of last nite and this mornings ops !

Regards

LGA777

T-Bird76
2009-07-30, 11:52 AM
What this really speaks of is poor customer service on WN's part. Instead of cancelling the flight and letting people go home to a proper bed they get stuck in an airport. Now of course your not forced to stick around but since its weather delays WN isn't going to offer your money back or to be put on another flight the next day since they didn't cancel your original flight. So instead you're held prisoner at an airport.

This is a big difference I've seen between WN and AA who I normally fly. AA is more prone to cancel a flight then WN and when they delay a flight long into the night I've just gone up and had them put me on the next day's flight. I'm not sure if they do without pushback because I'm Plat Elite but I've never been stuck long into the night with AA.

While in some cases WN's stubbornness to operate flights no matter what is a good thing if its early in the day, they need to at some point cancel the flight. Keeping people in an airport might be safe but its not healthy.

Alex T
2009-07-31, 12:44 AM
What this really speaks of is poor customer service on WN's part. Instead of cancelling the flight and letting people go home to a proper bed they get stuck in an airport. Now of course your not forced to stick around but since its weather delays WN isn't going to offer your money back or to be put on another flight the next day since they didn't cancel your original flight. So instead you're held prisoner at an airport.

Yes we do offer to put you on another flight the next day. I did this all the time working at STL, we rarely cancel a flight due to WX because that aircraft has to be there, passengers on or not. So we try to fly the flight as late as we possibly can.

No, you are right passengers are not forced to ride us, and we always make an announcement if they want to be rebooked come to the gate and we would rebook them.

Since it was a WX delay, the paxs are not charged for the fare diff regardless if the flight canceled or not.

What I find weird is that 8XXX is a charter/MX flight number...Are you sure that 8XXX operating was not related to a passenger delay and WN just simply rotating the aircraft?

Alex

LGA777
2009-08-01, 07:50 PM
I spoke to a WN employee I know who was returning from training that night. When they landed at LGA several hours late the Captain came over the PA system and said folks where number 3 for a gate. Since they only have one gate the two 737's ahead of them each had to go in and be turned around. He said most of the passengers where pretty good considering and they only had to wait around 90 mins.

Welcome to LaGuardia Southwest ! This aint Islip !

LGA777

Alex T
2009-08-01, 10:07 PM
I spoke to a WN employee I know who was returning from training that night. When they landed at LGA several hours late the Captain came over the PA system and said folks where number 3 for a gate. Since they only have one gate the two 737's ahead of them each had to go in and be turned around. He said most of the passengers where pretty good considering and they only had to wait around 90 mins.

Welcome to LaGuardia Southwest ! This aint Islip !

LGA777

Hahahaha! That has got to be a change, number so and so for a GATE instead of runway :-D

Alex