PDA

View Full Version : Getting married, bad for your health

Midnight Mike
2009-07-29, 08:43 AM
Divorce 'health scars permanent'

Divorce has a lingering, detrimental impact on health that even remarriage cannot fully repair, a study suggests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8170234.stm

A Chicago study involving 8,652 people aged 51 to 61 found divorced people have 20% more chronic illnesses such as cancer than those who never marry.

The figure only drops to 12% for those who remarry, researchers write in the Journal of Health and Social Behaviour.

mirrodie
2009-07-29, 10:03 AM
Dude, it says DIVORCE is bad, not marriage.
That said, it'd be interesting to see a study done on couples that stay married but SHOULD be divorced that hte health effects subsequent.

MIght have just titled the thread SEX to get our interest otherwise. :mrgreen:

moose135
2009-07-29, 10:27 AM
That's true - marriage is bad for your mental health :shock:

T-Bird76
2009-07-29, 10:32 AM
That said, it'd be interesting to see a study done on couples that stay married but SHOULD be divorced that hte health effects subsequent.

You have to be married to get divorced and chances are if you're getting divorced your marriage sucked and was unhealthly for you.

Midnight Mike
2009-07-29, 10:39 AM

You have to be married to get divorced and chances are if you're getting divorced your marriage sucked and was unhealthly for you.

Thank you Tommy, I thought that I was going to have to be the one to explain it to Mr Mario :mrgreen:

T-Bird76
2009-07-29, 12:23 PM
[quote=mirrodie]Dude, it says DIVORCE is bad, not marriage.

Thank you Tommy, I thought that I was going to have to be the one to explain it to Mr Mario :mrgreen:[/quote:2gf271pg]

That's ok Mike I got your back...hehe :twisted:

mirrodie
2009-07-29, 01:47 PM

Yes, you two clowns. Ok, let me 'splain sumting to you two! :wink:

If a study is done, its based on a hypothesis.

Below is a different hypothesis:
That said, it'd be interesting to see a study done on couples that stay married but SHOULD be divorced and the health effects subsequent.

So whats worse for your health? Getting a divorce or not getting it and staying together through it all? Now that would be interesting.

In the final analysis, its always the same:

There are lies
There are damned lies
and then there are statistics. The latter of the 3 can be made to fit anything.