PDA

View Full Version : planning my first trip to JFK for photos - questions!

john_a
2009-07-27, 05:40 PM
I've recently moved to central Long Island, and have been checking out the operations over at Republic since it's right near my job. I'd like to try and photograph some larger planes, and I'm thinking I might try JFK one night after work. I figure I can get out there by 7pm, leaving me about an hour and change to hopefully see some flights.

a few rank amateur questions:

- is there a way to know what runway they're landing on prior to getting in that area? can i get that from listening to liveATC?
- does anyone generally go in the 7pm - 8pm time frame?
- any particular area that would be really good / really bad at this time of day? (i've seen the spotting guide...)

any other advice?

moose135
2009-07-27, 05:46 PM
Call JFK ATIS at 718-995-8188, you will hear the same ATIS broadcast that goes out over the radio. I have it (and LGA ATIS 718-478-6118) programmed in my cell phone.

I don't know too many of us that generally go out at 7-8pm, although if it's a good day, and we still have some light, we may stay out that long. The typical afternoon spots - the Mounds for Rwy 22, Firestone for 31R, Bayswater for 13R departures, should all be good at that time.

If you are planning to go out, post a note here in the Spotting Forum, many times you will find someone to join you. Have fun and bring your ID.

mattyry38
2009-07-27, 07:30 PM
Call JFK ATIS at 718-995-8188, you will hear the same ATIS broadcast that goes out over the radio. I have it (and LGA ATIS 718-478-6118) programmed in my cell phone.

I don't know too many of us that generally go out at 7-8pm, although if it's a good day, and we still have some light, we may stay out that long. The typical afternoon spots - the Mounds for Rwy 22, Firestone for 31R, Bayswater for 13R departures, should all be good at that time.

If you are planning to go out, post a note here in the Spotting Forum, many times you will find someone to join you. Have fun and bring your ID.

Same here - didn't make my speed dial list though ;)

Usually the Microsoft Sam voice will be somewhat choppy or faded on the LGA ATIS, but JFK is always loud and clear.

T-Bird76
2009-07-28, 09:18 AM
does anyone generally go in the 7pm - 8pm time frame?

The light for this time of year no longer favors being out that late, its going to be to dark. Sunset is at 8:15 today meaning your usable light is going to fade at about 7:30. 4:30 to 7 is going to give you the best lighting conditions right now.

planelove
2009-07-28, 02:26 PM
Here goes a shot in the dark..
Is anyone going today?