PDA

View Full Version : US Airways considers disposing of E190 fleet

DHG750R
2009-07-23, 02:59 PM
From Flight Global

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... fleet.html (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/07/23/330101/us-airways-considers-cutting-its-e-190-fleet.html)

Management at US Airways has launched an evaluation of elimination its fleet of 25 Embraer E-190s through direct sales or subleases.

Today during an earnings call with analysts and investors carrier President Scott Kirby said the fleet represents roughly 2.5% of total consolidated capacity at US Airways, and cutting the fleet would give the carrier additional flexibility to reduce its available seat miles.

Kirby also explains the E-Jet represent a small sub-fleet whose elimination could also create operational gains for the carrier. The aircraft are also in demand globally, so US Airways believes getting rid of the E-Jets is something the carrier "can effectively implement from a financial perspective", says Kirby.

US Airways owns the 25 aircraft, and company chief executive Doug Parker stresses the potential cutting of E-Jets from its fleet is not to raise liquidity, but to enhance long-term profitability.

In August 2005 US Airways issued a request for proposal to regional partners Air Wisconsin, Mesa Air Group and Republic Airways Holdings to operate up to 25 E-190s once it merged with America West.

But after mainline pilot protests a transition deal was ratified by America West and US Airways pilots to limit E-190 flying to mainline operations.

Steven Holzinger
2009-07-23, 03:45 PM
I say get rid of the E190s and replace them with A318s or A319s.

Delta777LR
2009-07-23, 03:50 PM
I say 73Gs, But I dont think US is interested in Boeing probucts anymore

cancidas
2009-07-23, 03:58 PM
interesting... i smell some kind of AWE-RPA deal in the works.

hiss srq
2009-07-23, 11:21 PM
This rubs me. If it happens it is another screw you to the US East pilots. Here's an idea. Dedicate the 190 to shuttle flying and keep it mainline. I'm sure the 190 will go though because its just another way for the hacks in Tempe to dig at the US East group. It will mean the furlough of more east pilots which means less available. Votes. Matt is probably right too. That shark of a company who owns most EMB flying state side as it is will get the 190 flying too. I always pictured Bedford getting into US deep anyhow. :evil: :evil:

DHG750R
2009-07-26, 01:30 AM
I don't particularly care for what I've seen happening to US the last few years. ( as I am now an outsider ). The small subfleet that Kirby talks about here was created by the management, and undid what was originally supposed to be a 2 type narrowbody fleet as it was envisioned when the Airbus' were ordered. Of course, that was planned by Steve Wolf/Rakesh Gangwal mgt of the late 90's

What seems to happen is each management team comes and stops or changes the fleet plan midstream without allowing any single fleet plan to mature.

This and what I am reading elsewhere about terminal changes at LGA are showing me the management team is giving up on what strength US has or had at this location.

very sad :(

crj200dispatcher
2009-07-27, 07:37 PM
Before you go and start slamming my company, Republic, remember it is US Airways that wants to get rid of them, Republic has nothing to do with it...PERIOD. US is a financial mess.

And before you slam Mr. Bedford, if it was not for Mr. Bedford and Republic and the MILLIONS OF DOLLARS THEY HAVE LENT TO US, US WOULD NOT BE AROUND RIGHT NOW.

And RAH cannot fly the 190s for US, SCOPE CLAUSE

crj200dispatcher
2009-07-27, 08:47 PM
Matt,

my message came acrossed strongly, but ever since this was announced, Republic has been given crap.

1) It was okay for Republic too bail US Airways out, pre merger, by purchasing Mid Atlantic and slots at DCA and LGA and leasing them back to US, to get them out of bankruptcy. Then after the merger loaning Airways more millions to keep them afloat.

I hope we do buy the 190's and put them in the Midwest fleet, and get some of those pilots flying again, US has been bleeding money too long

cancidas
2009-07-28, 12:34 AM
Matt,

my message came acrossed strongly, but ever since this was announced, Republic has been given crap.

1) It was okay for Republic too bail US Airways out, pre merger, by purchasing Mid Atlantic and slots at DCA and LGA and leasing them back to US, to get them out of bankruptcy. Then after the merger loaning Airways more millions to keep them afloat.

I hope we do buy the 190's and put them in the Midwest fleet, and get some of those pilots flying again, US has been bleeding money too long
you're right, but i never intended any disrespect on my end. if my message came across that way then i appologize. i work day in and day out with your company and think i have a good repor with the folks in IND as well as all those embraer cockpits. i know numerous RPA crews and managers personally, and i only wish that all memebers of NYCA could share a respectful attitude towards our peers on these boards.

you're also right that it is US Airways that's selling off the airplanes because they "just don't work right", or whatever the real reason may be. in all honesty, if RPA were to take on the airplanes (and maybe the crews as well) then they would find a good home for the long term, thus opening the doors for all kinds of possibilities. the fact that RPA has lent money in the past to airlines in dire need, and has just recently outright purchased airlines means that the people in charge are making the right decisions, at the right times and have been doing so for quite some time. kudos to your managment staff for that.

Art at ISP
2009-07-28, 10:30 AM
Sorry to say, they are getting down to burning the furniture.....sad...sad day if true....

If only there was good management at US who realized that EMPLOYEES and CUSTOMERS come first, ahead of shareholders......

Hey Doug Parker--this Bud's for you....

crj200dispatcher
2009-07-28, 08:29 PM
Matt,

I have worked the US system for the past 8 years, PSA and now CHQ, and US management is totally clueless.

Matt, the LGA staff is the best, now the PHL staff, well we will talk (35 mins allowed to turn a plane..WTF)

I lost respect for US, when they merged with Piedmont and killed profitable hubs like DAY and BWI.

I mean if US was smart since they are a Airbus operator, why didn't they get the 318, instead of a hodge podge of aircraft.

hiss srq
2009-07-29, 10:48 AM
The 318 is a little bit on the heavy side for an airplane of its size. The same goes for the 736. Embraer built the 190 for that size catagory from the outset. Airbus and Boeing just took a few plugs off of a larger design and made it a new variation of an old plane.

coachrowsey
2009-07-29, 01:39 PM
I lost respect when dumb & dumber took over & wrecked it :evil:

hiss srq
2009-07-29, 03:32 PM
I lost respect when dumb & dumber took over & wrecked it :evil:
Lets not forget Rob Isom.