PDA

View Full Version : Wild Weather at JFK

JHNA57
2009-07-07, 04:07 PM
Must be really nasty at JFK. Flight Aware shows DAL 132, a Boeing 767-300 diverting to ALBANY. I'm sure there will be more like this this afternoon

Matt Molnar
2009-07-07, 04:10 PM
There was a nasty storm with hail and a severe thunderstorm warning that must have passed right over JFK, guessing that wasn't the only diversion.

Matt Molnar
2009-07-07, 04:18 PM
JFK
AF 6 from CDG diverted to BDL
AA 24 from SFO diverted to PHL
AA 1362 from ORD diverted to BWI
Am Eagle 4750 from DCA diverted to BDL
DL 3 from SLC diverted to ACY
NW 1232 from DET diverted to ABE
DL 6493 from BWI diverted to PHL
El Al 7 from TLV diverted to BDL
JetBlue 350 from Burbank diverted to SWF
Swiss 14 from ZRH diverted to BDL
UA 6 from SFO diverted to PHL

Iberia A340-600
2009-07-07, 04:18 PM
The DL 763 that is diverting appears to have originated in JFK and was heading towards ATH. I don't imagine this diversion is due to the weather?

Matt Molnar
2009-07-07, 04:24 PM
EWR
AA 558 from DWF diverted to IAD
CO 1029 from DEN diverted to SWF
CO 186 from Orange County diverted to PHL
CO 2148 from Nashville diverted to ABE
CO 2543 from SAV diverted to ABE
CO 2573 from Nashville diverted to ABE
CO 455 from PDX diverted to SWF
CO 693 from MCO diverted to PHL
CO 699 from NAS diverted to PHL
CO 8 from NRT diverted to CLE
CO 880 from BOG diverted to PHL
CO 886 from Panama City diverted to BWI

Matt Molnar
2009-07-07, 04:30 PM
LGA
AirTran 502 from MKE diverted to PIT
AA 374 from ORD diverted to PIT
NW 522 from MSP diverted to MDT
Southwest 453 from BWI flew around for an hour and landed back at BWI
US 4568 from Charlottesville, VA is heading back to Charlottesville.

Matt Molnar
2009-07-07, 04:39 PM
The DL 763 that is diverting appears to have originated in JFK and was heading towards ATH. I don't imagine this diversion is due to the weather?
Probably not.

T-Bird76
2009-07-07, 04:40 PM
Mario and fam are in T5 right now...anyone want to take bets on if they are leaving on time tonight? ;) At least they are stuck in T5 and not some crap hole like LGA.

Matt Molnar
2009-07-07, 04:54 PM
More JFK
AA 118 from LAX to PHL
AA 160 from SAN to IAD
AA 258 from LAS to BDL
AA 268 from SEA to BDL
Finnair 5 from HEL to BDL
Royal Jordanian 261 from AMM to ACY
OpenSkies from AMS to EWR
UA 22 from LAX to LGA
Virgin America 404 from LAX to ABE
UA 6 from SFO to ABE
LOT 6 from WAW to PHL

Gerard
2009-07-07, 05:27 PM
Stopped by FRG today after 1PM before heading across the street to the movies (Angels & Demons) and Tower announced that many routes to the North and East were being shutdown due to weather. A number of jets sat
by 1-4 waiting clearance. Went in at 2PM and came out at 4:20 and it was still raining but I definitely missed the worst part. THere were lakes all over FRG AND coming along New Highway north it was actually the New Highway River.
Wow I've never seen so much rain there. I'm glad I had my truck and there was a FedEx tractor trailer in front of me clearing the way. But when I got home my son told me it only rained a little by us. Looking at weather radar when I got home I saw most of the crazy stuff moved along the south shore.

PhilDernerJr
2009-07-07, 07:56 PM
NA bird also diverted to SWF.

The taxi lines at JFK are still ridiculous. Aircraft arriving are blocked from getting to getes because of the departure lines.

The weather we had was pretty insane, and some of the worst I've seen even when comapred to the many storms we've been getting over the past few weeks. We had some dime-sized hail hitting. It's weird picking up pieces of ice off the ground in July.

LGA777
2009-07-07, 08:47 PM
Mario and fam are in T5 right now...anyone want to take bets on if they are leaving on time tonight? ;) At least they are stuck in T5 and not some crap hole like LGA.

Tommy, I keep telling you need try US at LGA again. While not as nice as T5 at JFK our terminal has fairly new resturaunts with many brand new shops with more on the way. Out little part of LGA is not a crap hole, trust me bud.

LGA777

T-Bird76
2009-07-07, 08:50 PM

Tommy, I keep telling you need try US at LGA again. While not as nice as T5 at JFK our terminal has fairly new resturaunts with many brand new shops with more on the way. Out little part of LGA is not a crap hole, trust me bud.

LGA777

Ron its hard to switch airlines once you make Elite status. I'm Platinum with AA and the benefits are hard to walk away from. Although AA's gates at LGA are a total disgrace.

T-Bird76
2009-07-07, 09:13 PM
Mario was supposed to take off at 6:25...he's still in line for take off...poor bastard. NOW HE KNOWS MY PAIN! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ;)

PhilDernerJr
2009-07-07, 09:24 PM
He text me from the plane "I don't know how Tommy does it." haha

I feel for him. One of the worst days JFK has had in a while.

hiss srq
2009-07-07, 09:59 PM
That weather was pretty nasty. I was at JFK when it moved through and WOW! It has indeed been a while since its been that nasty. The lines were un beleaveable.

moose135
2009-07-08, 12:44 AM
I think Mario is about number 27 for take off right about now :shock:

cancidas
2009-07-08, 01:48 AM
while i don't want to detract from the thread, LGA got it's share of ****ty wx tonight too. right after parking in the lot i got to watch 3 airplanes go missed because of wind sheer. the same happenned around 2330L as well, and i had to actually close my ramp for about 20 minutes just before midnight as my lightning detector just wouldn't stop going off. glad i finally left, there were still 2 more outbounds waiting to leave at 0030L when i punched out.

SengaB
2009-07-08, 02:05 AM
Just had a possible tornado (Dopplar indicated) in my area at 12am. Power is out in Bronxville. I drove around and looked at some of the damage and I saw nothing that looked like it was a tornado went through but more like a Micro Burst. Blasted thing formed right over me so they didn't even issue it for the area its self. Lots of wind and the hail core when right over me- the "Bears Cage"
Yonkers, Bronxville, Mount Vernon, Tuckahoe, New Rochell.

Senga

SmAlbany
2009-07-08, 08:40 AM
Must be really nasty at JFK. Flight Aware shows DAL 132, a Boeing 767-300 diverting to ALBANY. I'm sure there will be more like this this afternoon

I saw that on flightaware too. It must have been a hiccup in flightaware. If you look at it today, the flight that diverted was an MD88 from ATL not the 763. DL carries the flight # between the 2 flights and it appears that flightaware assumed that the MD88 landed in JFK. When it continued on to ALB the software assumed it was the next leg of the flight on the 763.

Here's the return flight to JFK:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL132A

Gerard
2009-07-08, 09:49 AM
>[quote="SengaB"]Just had a possible tornado (Dopplar indicated) in my area at 12am. <

On the news this morning they are talking about a possible tornado in North Yonkers. I took my dogs out after 11 and
saw lightning to the north. When I got inside I saw on TV that a nasty storm was bearing down on us from the north
and a tornado warning went up for towns north of me like Syosset and Oyster Bay. And the lightning was incredible.
Thankfully we just got the usual thunderstorm stuff as the storm roared out to the SE.

SengaB
2009-07-08, 08:30 PM
Mark,
The more severe the storm the better form me :) I was hoping it would drop something but no cigar this time.
I heard at 5pm the NWS officially called it "Straight line winds"..that would fall in line with that I saw as well. I went out during daylight hours to get a better look at the damage and it wasn't tornatic form what I could tell.
Being that telephone poles, street lights and trees were mainly pushed in an easterly direction. This would signify straight-line winds/ microburst as the NWA deemed it. When I went out last night into Bronxville and a drive that should have taken me one minute took me 30 mins as most of the roads were impassable.

Senga

mirrodie
2009-07-09, 12:34 AM
greetings from Miami.

So much for flying on 7/7, no luck here. B6 departure was slated for 605 pm with an arrival into FLL at 925pm.

We took off at 915 or so, touched down at 1145pm.

Thankfully, our kids were GREAT, not a peep from either of them. The new B6 terminal was very nice. It even had a 'kiddie corral' where kids can run and play with Playskool type toys.

Ciao!!

Matt Molnar
2009-07-09, 12:43 AM
Thankfully, our kids were GREAT, not a peep from either of them.
Wow, I would have been whining up a storm. :x

Glad it worked out.

Iberia A340-600
2009-07-09, 06:41 AM
I had a friend meeting me in Madrid yesterday who was flying AA from JFK to BRU and then connecting onto Brussels Airlines. Needless to say he missed his connection with a three hour taxi delay. While waiting for him at the airport I noticed the Air Europa flight from JFK, which is normally scheduled to arrive around 11am, was instead arriving at 7:45pm.

mirrodie
2009-07-09, 10:36 AM
Just thanking G-d they made it easy. T5's children's area was nice and kept him and other kids occupied for some time, but later, there was tons of plane spotting he wanted to do.

Some nice views from T5 are available. We could see the 13L banks and landings from a few spots, can watch most of T4s apron action (El Al, Air India, Emirates, etc) and also there is one spot with a nice view to the 22-4s.

Oh, BTW, Tom, that part of T5 that juts right out and faces 22-4? Remember we thought it was a lounge? Its actually just the end of the terminal with gates BUT has about 8-10 faux leather soda/chair lounge chair/chaises. Gives perfect side ons of 22-4 if used. But the seats are always occupied. And other pax stand nearby like vultures, waiting to swoop down on an open seat the second they become available.

I knew we were screwed when I saw the Turkisk Star Alliance sitting idle on the taxi for 55 minutes.

So luck for flying in a lucky day, lucky 7's. ONward and upward, I'm off to get a Cuban......coffee!