PDA

View Full Version : El Al plane almost collides in midair

planelove
2009-07-06, 12:33 AM
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1098032.html

An error by Eritrean air traffic controllers last month almost caused a midair collision between an El Al plane and another aircraft over the Red Sea, an El Al official revealed.

An Israeli plane carrying 200 passengers was en route to the Far East when it received permission from air traffic controllers in the Eritrean capital, Asmara, to enter an international air lane.

However, the controllers neglected to tell the El Al plane how close it would be to another aircraft.

The pilots flying the Israeli plane, a Boeing 767, were alerted to the danger by the plane's Total Access Communications System when they were only 700 feet from the other plane, and changed course to avoid a collision.

I wonder how how they were.....I mean altitude :lol:
There have been quite a few stories out of there this year including one where, from what i understand the ILS equipment was bring down planes short of the runway.

Matt Molnar
2009-07-06, 12:45 AM
The pilots flying the Israeli plane, a Boeing 767, were alerted to the danger by the plane's Total Access Communications System...
Interesting that the plane had an obsolete cellular phone transmission standard on board. :lol:

I guess they meant TCAS, aka Traffic Collision Avoidance System.