PDA

View Full Version : ANNOUNCEMENT: The New NYCAviation.com!

PhilDernerJr
2009-06-26, 03:34 AM
It's been a long time coming, but we've finally launched the new version of NYCAviation.com (http://nycaviation.com).

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/Picture-15.jpg (http://nycaviation.com)

Just under 5 years ago, the site experienced its first re-design, intended to create a simple layout that fed a few dozen locals their aviation fix. Over that half-decade, thanks to so many people involved, we've gone far beyond the city limits to begin serving people all over the world who want something different than what is out there, or something that simply just cannot be found anywhere else on the internet.

The goal of the newest revamp was to create something more modern that afforded us the ability to better manage the site from a technical aspect, and therefore add more content, more easily, and more often, serving your morning bowl of aviation with spunk and true entertainment value. Through this, we can begin to deliver these features to the sprouting aviation communities not only around the country, but around the world as well.

We are still adding our content and tying up loose ends with the new site, but I urge you all to go ahead and look through the news articles, browse the news calendar and it's mouse-over capability, and navigate around the Google Spotting Maps with their airport information tabs, of which will soon also include approach plates. Additional features will continue to be added over the coming weeks and months, and you'll start some seeing exciting changes on the message boards as well.

Please have a look and let me know what you think. If you don't like it, blame me. If you do like it, thank Matt Molnar, who is the man behind the scenes of just about everything you see here.

Our mission over the past 6 years has been to provide aviation enthusiasts the kind of community that brings people and information together at your fingertips and makes a largely unrepresented and uncharted hobby easier to enjoy. We really do want you to watch the planes and let us do the rest </cheesy slogan plug>.

Thank you all for being here. We wouldn't want to do this if it weren't for all of you.

-Phil Derner, Jr.

Matt Molnar
2009-06-26, 04:29 AM
There are still a few rough patches to polish up, but here are some new features you'll find on the new NYCAviation.com (http://www.nycaviation.com).

Spotting Maps

New Google maps! Easier to find exactly where to watch and photograph approaches and departures and how to get there..[/*:m:ktw343cu]
New airports! So far we've added EWR and LAX and we'll be adding at least one every week! Got a new spot? Share it with us![/*:m:ktw343cu]
More airport info! Runway lengths, radio frequencies, approach charts, all in one place. Even direct links to online ATC feeds. [/*:m:ktw343cu]

More News

Upcoming events calendar! New route at a local airport? Air show coming soon? Equipment change coming to town? The calendar puts the dates for these events in one place. You can even sync it with your computer's calendar software, such as iCal or Outlook.[/*:m:ktw343cu]
New news! Yeah, we know we didn't update the old site very often. Now we will! And it'll be prettier![/*:m:ktw343cu]
Old news! All the old articles have been migrated to the new site.[/*:m:ktw343cu]
More airport info! Runway lengths, radio frequencies, approach charts, all in one place. Even direct links to online ATC feeds. [/*:m:ktw343cu]

Comments

Comment on articles! Readers can now leave comments on articles. You'll need a separate login from your forum login (for now) but if you don't feel like signing up for yet another username/password, you can login with your Facebook or Twitter account! (This is done through a third party service using the secure OpenID standard...don't worry, we don't see your login info).[/*:m:ktw343cu]
Forum discussions on articles! Every article will have a corresponding discussion thread here on the forum, as well as a link to the thread, and vice versa.[/*:m:ktw343cu]

Coming Soon

Flickr integration! Do you post your photos on Flickr? Tag them with "nyca" when you're uploading and thumbnailed links to them will automatically appear on the NYCA photography homepage! We'll be exploring ways to integrate with other photography sites as well, such as Picasa and SmugMug.[/*:m:ktw343cu]
Other stuff! We have lots of ideas in the works, but it's 4:30am and I can't remember all of them at the moment! :)[/*:m:ktw343cu]

If you see anything broken or things you think can be improved, please let us know! Post it in this thread, or Email us: help [at] nycaviation.com

MarkLawrence
2009-06-26, 08:33 AM
Looking VERY good Matt and Phil!!! I like the new design.

One comment - Spotting guides - other US cities and cities outside the US are returning 404 errors...

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-06-26, 10:39 AM
Nice. :borat:

flyboy 28
2009-06-26, 11:15 AM
8)

sporky
2009-06-26, 12:45 PM
Really liking the new format. Great job getting this put together and look forward to using it a lot.

-Tad

lijk604
2009-06-26, 02:32 PM
You guys have done great work on the new site. Congrats to you both.

moose135
2009-06-26, 04:03 PM
...serving your morning bowl of aviation with spunk and true entertainment value.
Spunk? I hate spunk... :D

Great work, Phil and Matt! The updated site looks terrific! I look forward to exploring all the new features, and seeing what else you have in store for the future. Good job guys!

Iberia A340-600
2009-06-26, 04:22 PM
Great work, guys. It looks great. :)

jetblue187
2009-06-26, 05:38 PM
Great Job, guys! Love the new look! :D

coloneltigh
2009-06-26, 09:33 PM
Wow, nice job. I've been away awhile shooting studio stuff and some NASCAR but I decided that it was time to spot again and I went to "the" site and found this. Holy ch*t!

PhilDernerJr
2009-06-27, 05:00 PM
I'm glad you folks like it. Once we "settle in" with it, you'll see articles posted very frequently.

Some pages might appear to be down while we update them, but if you see any problems, please continue to let us know.

We plan on adding many airports to the spotting maps, so if there's an airport that you'd like represented that you know well, email me and I'll tell you what to do.

Again, thank you all.