PDA

View Full Version : Dover AFB Air Show?

nikon50bigma
2009-06-19, 08:03 PM
Anyone planning on heading down there tomorrow? This one seems a little 'ify' it terms of weather. Ugh I still have to go through my shots from Andrews and Reading.... Lol this just adds more work to my pile :D

flyboy 28
2009-06-19, 11:32 PM
I'll be down tomorrow (Saturday), regardless of weather.

nikon50bigma
2009-06-19, 11:49 PM
I'm wondering if they'll let my backpack through security. On their website it says no backpacks or large camera bags.

lijk604
2009-06-20, 02:59 PM
I'm wondering if they'll let my backpack through security. On their website it says no backpacks or large camera bags.

If it says no backpacks...why would you even try? This is a miltary base, they aren't going to make an exception for you.

moose135
2009-06-20, 03:55 PM
If it says no backpacks...why would you even try? This is a miltary base, they aren't going to make an exception for you.
Last year (I think) I go to the McGuire open house. Big signs about no weapons, wagons, large bags, etc., etc., everything would be checked and they made everyone go through a metal detector manned by Air Force Security Police. I walk up with my 40D & 100-400 hanging around my neck, my "big" camera bag, and pockets full of stuff. I empty my pockets in the tray, leave my camera and bag on the table, and proceed through the metal detector - three times! I kept setting it off. Finally realized I had my Bluetooth ear piece stashed in one pocket. That resolved, the SP at the table asked "Is that all camera gear in the bag?" When I said yes, he said "That's fine, I don't need to check it..." Never assume anything.

nikon50bigma
2009-06-21, 01:14 AM

I figured just in case it rains I'd rather have my gear in my Lowepro backpack with an all weather covering that around my neck getting soaked.
Just like Moose said, at McGuire I had to 'break everything down' from my backpack and put them in smaller bags.
But at Andrews AFB for their air show their were signs that said no backpacks; but but I was still able to get mine in.

JHNA57
2009-11-02, 11:11 AM
Could'nt make the airshow in June BUT........

GOT the "FRIENDS & FAMILY", "UP CLOSE & PERSONAL", "INSIDE and OUTSIDE", "KICK THE TIRES", "SIT IN THE COCKPIT", tour of a C-5A Galaxy (60-177), and squadron ops. Since no C-17s were available, my "Captain" nephew called his friend, an 8,000 hr "MAJOR" for the C-5 tour. Imagine if you will, a personal nose to tail tour of a C-5, truly an enthusiast's dream. (Sorry guys, no pics allowed).

Being a Sunday, there was no real action on the flightline (although we did get to watch and Atlas Air 747 depart).

Seeing the ramp and the ops, you can't help but think of the FEDEX operation in Memphis. Bring the cargo in, sort it, pack it and send it back out.

The other thing about being on that ramp, and knowing that it is the arrival point for the fallen soldiers was quite "sobering". On a side note to that, a Kalitta Falcon arrived while we were there, and my nephew said that those are used to carry the remains back to families in rural areas around the country.