PDA

View Full Version : Fire Alarm on AA JFK-ZRH Flight Forces Diversion to Halifax

Matt Molnar
2009-06-10, 12:35 PM
(CNN) -- An American Airlines flight with 206 passengers and crew aboard landed safely in eastern Canada on Tuesday night after reports of smoke in the cabin, an airport official said.

"The passengers were fine," said Paul Baxter, vice president of operations at Halifax International Airport. "We didn't use the emergency slides."

Flight 64 was en route from New York to Zurich, Switzerland, when "some kind of fire" broke out, forcing the landing in Nova Scotia, a representative of the airline said.

A replacement plane, a Boeing 767, was sent to Halifax and has resumed the flight to Switzerland. Mechanics from American will check the plane and make any necessary repairs before returning it to service.

T-Bird76
2009-06-10, 01:58 PM
Mechanics from American will check the plane and make any necessary repairs before returning it to service.

As opposed to the opposite I imagine?

Matt Molnar
2009-06-10, 02:20 PM
I would have preferred:

American pilots will fly the plane back to New York with their fingers crossed, hoping not to die of smoke inhalation or a flaming catastrophe.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-06-10, 10:43 PM
I would have preferred:

American pilots will fly the plane back to New York with their fingers crossed, hoping not to die of smoke inhalation or a flaming catastrophe.

Along with...

"and to show customer appreciation, American Airlines is pleased to announce $10 one-way fares between Halifax and New York on this flight. Subject to restrictions".