PDA

View Full Version : Given the following, what would you do?

mirrodie
2009-06-04, 07:12 PM
So my lease is almost up. I have an 06 Nissan Altima, 35000 mi on it. My logic in leasing the 2006 Altima was so that I could buy more time and see what more fuel efficient cars would be around 3 years later. ....Unfortunately I am not thrilled with the options that are now available.

Wifey has a 2000 Altima with 81500 mi on it, all paid off.

We need a bigger car for her and kids stuff, so the options are to:
a) give up the lease and pick up the SUV for her and I drive her 2000 Altima or
b) trade in her altima, pick up a SUV and keep the lease for me.

Its a bitchin decision for me b/c while the newer Altima is nicer and bigger, the old one runs fine so why bother keeping the lease/newer Altima? Between the 00 and 06 nissan, the mpg ratings are about the same, so if I kept the lease, all I am really getting is a payment with a sunroof, leather, Bose sound, etc, etc. I've just gotten used to those small updates.

My inclination is to just give up the lease and drive the 00 Altima for a few years (til the wheels fall off) since its really only used for commuting to and from the office and my commute is 12 minutes, +/-4 minutes. And its paid off, os why bother with another payment? Unless the dealer gave me some sick financing.

Then there is the 'keeping up with the jones' nonsense, which doesn't bother me but I know its a lingering pressure. All my doctor friends are blowing bucks on luxury vehicles but I am just keeping it real.

I'm curious what others advice here is to do.

PS, I will NEVER buy a new car again. The aggravation and sheer gut wrenching disgust that you feel when you get the tiniest DING on it is just not worth it.

moose135
2009-06-04, 07:20 PM
Now is probably an excellent time to get yourself a new Chrysler/Dodge or Chevy minivan (yes, I said the "M" word) - you should be able to find some killer deals - get rid of your lease, and use her old car for commuting to the office.

lijk604
2009-06-04, 07:47 PM
I second what Moose said. No sense paying for something, when you already have something just as good that is PAID OFF!

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-06-04, 08:12 PM
I would go with option B because the Altima is getting old and the chances of expensive repairs/problems happening is great. So your Wife gets a new SUV(which is good to have around) and you get a 2009 Altima. But then again if its only a 12min drive and the 00 Altima is in good shape then you have one less payment. Or go with what moose said and get a American car which for the prices of them are basically a steal.

MarkLawrence
2009-06-04, 09:06 PM
MPG is much the same between an SUV and a Van - I agree with Moose - there are bound to be awesome deals out there for those at the moment. The 00 is running fine - keep it and use it yourself. Over the next few years, put the money you are saving aside, and in a few years, you might be able to pay cash for a decent car!

mirrodie
2009-06-04, 09:14 PM
Mark, that is what I am considering, actually:

I am heavily leaning toward driving her 00 into the ground so that later I can buy a bit more time and get myself something a bit later on.

So Chysler/Dodge/Chevy deals? Not GMC? I am very far removed from American cars, fill me in.

mirrodie
2009-06-04, 09:16 PM
I would go with option B because the Altima is getting old and the chances of expensive repairs/problems happening is great.

True, that when that happens, that is when I'd get a new car. ;)

PhilDernerJr
2009-06-04, 09:35 PM
I think it's a wise financial decision to keep the '00 and lease something new.

When choosing that new car to lease, think about your basic needs in terms of space and capacity. MANY cars should fit the bill, but then, look at safety. You've got two kids and a pretty wife that you don't want getting hurt. So, pick the safest one out there.

Also get something that's not too powerful....because we all know how you drive and we don't want you to even have the capability of being dangeorus.

Keep us posted.

moose135
2009-06-04, 09:41 PM
Chrysler has the Town & Country (http://www.chrysler.com/en/2009/town_country/), Dodge the Grand Caravan (http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/grand_caravan/). They are the same, just a little different sheet metal and options. Chrysler/Dodge have been the leaders in the minivan world since they introduced the first ones in 1984.

GMC is their truck division, pickups, large vans, and larger trucks. Actually, looking at their web site, Chevy no longer produces a minivan, although you may find some 2008s around (they produced corporate cousins for Chevy, Buick and Pontiac through 2008).

mirrodie
2009-06-04, 09:46 PM
Phil, lease something new or buy something new?
And why are you crying about my driving? I admit I speed but that's when the coast is clear. Love to accelerate ;)

Moose is really dying for us to get a minivan, isn't he! LOL I think its a generational thing but she doesnt really want one either. But if GMC is running deals that is worth looking into.

PhilDernerJr
2009-06-04, 10:01 PM
"Coast is clear" isn't good enough. You don't want your kids growing up without a father. :evil:

The decision between lease and buying will be mileage. If you're planning on road trips or using this new car constantly, then don't lease. I think you'll be fine, and you should probably lease.

To determine between SUV and minivan, refer to my earlier post.....safety. Both types will probably take care of you in terms of capacity and ease, and price will probably be similar as well. Pick the one that's safer for your family.

I'm not Mr. Banker or Mr. Car, but I've been doing a lot of research on buying and leasing lately. One leasing tip I learned is don't put money down! So many people apparently put money down when leasing for no real reason. It's a lease...you don't own the car, so why are you paying for it? You should be able to walk in with $500 cash, get your monthly and interest, pay your DMV costs and walk [drive] out with your car.

mirrodie
2009-06-04, 10:37 PM
"Coast is clear" isn't good enough. You don't want your kids growing up without a father.

But Phil, I only do it on straightaways and runways. Awwww, come on.

Actually, I've been much better. Also, I don't know where he got it from but lil man sometimes randomly states, while I drive, "Daddy, be careful!" Dude, I'm at at a red light!!

To determine between SUV and minivan, refer to my earlier post.

Perused the Consumers Reports during Mem Day weekend. We were set on a few models but have to go back and look at GMC.

One leasing tip I learned is don't put money down!

Yep. My accountant told me the same. Glad you too are looking at a lease. I know you must be finding some good deals yourself.

Matt Molnar
2009-06-05, 12:43 AM
Perused the Consumers Reports during Mem Day weekend. We were set on a few models but have to go back and look at GMC.
Word on the street is Government Motors will soon be slashing prices even more to clear out their massive inventory excesses. Might want to wait at least a few weeks before settling on anything.

mirrodie
2009-06-05, 02:57 PM
THanks Gman.

We weren't seriously considering American but the Chysler Pacifica and GMC Acadia may be worth looking at.

moose135
2009-06-05, 03:37 PM
I know a few folks who have had a Pacifica, and were generally pleased with them. It's not the dreaded minivan that Mario is trying to avoid :D and as a cross-over it should behave more like a car than many bigger, heavier SUVs out there. Not really familiar with the Acadia.

Matt Molnar
2009-06-05, 03:51 PM
THanks Gman.

We weren't seriously considering American but the Chysler Pacifica and GMC Acadia may be worth looking at.
WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA?

Just kidding, Toyota and Honda aren't in much better shape than GM at this point (even though they have better cars) so you'll find a good deal on something good.

But if you do buy American, keep in mind President Obama has promised to come over and repair your car himself.

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/obama-cover-630-0908.jpg
(Funny thing is this cover was made during the campaign, long before the GM/Chrysler mess and his government warranty backup plan.)

nikon50bigma
2009-06-06, 06:48 PM
I know you aren't that thrilled with current SUV's on the market. But how about the Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV they are pretty good on gas from what I hear. I have a Toyota Highlander, its not as great on gas but its still pretty good. Rated at 17/20, but according to my real time fuel economy I get 16/26.

mirrodie
2009-06-07, 03:51 PM
Matt, I love America. In fact, my first car was
http://image.nettix.fi/extra/carimg/2434901_2435000/2434992_b_eedbf2b35a375e76.jpg
In fact, when I was your age, many a fine lady were introduced to this model! :twisted:

Highheels can attest, from there, I drove 3 OTHER blue wagons, A Suburu, A Toyota with 4 wheel drive(TONS of fun) and a Mercedes Diesel. As some here know, I drove anything to get me through to school.

Actually Highlander is in strong contention.
We are still in research mode, but the Toyota Highlander, Rav4, Hyundai Santa Fe and Veracruz and, only lately the GMC Envoy and Arcadia are being looked at. Saw the Arcadia parked next to the Envoy and I think the Arcadia is TOO big.

I know Art's thought that Hyundai's have America's best warranty, b/c they need it! But I look at a long warranty as a stamp of long term commitment. What say you?

T-Bird76
2009-06-07, 04:36 PM
I know Art's thought that Hyundai's have America's best warranty, b/c they need it! But I look at a long warranty as a stamp of long term commitment. What say you?

Car companies don't give you warranties expecting a ton of claims on them, that would cost them money. A long warranty is not only a sign of commitment but of reliability. Mario you know I travel allot and 9 out of 10 times when I rent if Avis doesn't give my a Hyundai Sonata I'll go back and ask for one I like it that much. The opposite is true when they give me a Dodge product..I've had Sebrings, Chargers, 300s, and the plastic POS Caliber and each one is junk. Their fit and finish is old and cheaply designed, terrible engines and tranny's as well. Now some will tell you that its a rental so that makes a difference....BS. Rental fleets aren't different then the cars you can get off a lot and being an Avis First member I get the cars with under 3000 miles. Anytime I get a Dodge...I go back and ask for a Hyundai. As for the Santa Fee I had one of those in LA last year..I flipping loved it, I'd buy one in a second.

mmedford
2009-06-07, 04:50 PM
Mario, as a 2nd gen altima owner...

Repairs on the car are very minimal...

Once all the major repairs are done such as the intake manifold gasket issues...the car will run non-stop.

The KA24DE motor is a work of art out of Nissan, you will go through a tranny before that motor fails.

mirrodie
2009-06-07, 04:54 PM
Oh, Tom, believe me, I KNOW long warranties are a GOOD thing. I consider them a testimony to how well a product will hold up. I'm just curious how others feel about long warranties.

So when I hear BMW ads and their 3 or 4 year warranty, I feel they are total bogus. I loved the Sonata rental we got the day we were engaged.

Now, if GMC put out such a warranty, I'd be on it in no time.

T-Bird76
2009-06-07, 05:42 PM
Oh, Tom, believe me, I KNOW long warranties are a GOOD thing. I consider them a testimony to how well a product will hold up. I'm just curious how others feel about long warranties.

So when I hear BMW ads and their 3 or 4 year warranty, I feel they are total bogus. I loved the Sonata rental we got the day we were engaged.

Now, if GMC put out such a warranty, I'd be on it in no time.

oh the Sonata's have changed A LOT since then Mario!

mirrodie
2009-06-11, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the tips. We actually have a 2000 ALtima and 2006 Altima, but there were up to 3 others in the family at one time (in laws) so we know they are reliable.

Been looking at cars, the considerations are:

Hyundai Veracruz or Santa Fe
Toyota Highlander or 4RUnner
GMC Envoy or Acadia.

AS we are doing reseach we fell upon the Toyota Land Cruiser. $64,000 for what??? I was driving behind one yesterday and it looks no different than the 4runner for $30 K more???!!! Does it fellate the driver? Why is that thing so expensive?

T-Bird76
2009-06-11, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the tips. We actually have a 2000 ALtima and 2006 Altima, but there were up to 3 others in the family at one time (in laws) so we know they are reliable.

Been looking at cars, the considerations are:

Hyundai Veracruz or Santa Fe
Toyota Highlander or 4RUnner
GMC Envoy or Acadia.

AS we are doing reseach we fell upon the Toyota Land Cruiser. $64,000 for what??? I was driving behind one yesterday and it looks no different than the 4runner for $30 K more???!!! Does it fellate the driver? Why is that thing so expensive?

Mario the Land Cruiser is dramatically different the the 4 Runner. The Land Cruiser while not practical here on Long Island is one of the best heavy duty SUV's built. They are highly sort after in the Mideast because of their ability to stand up to the harsh climate their. You could run it through a brick wall and it probably wouldn't have a scratch on it. But running back and forth to the Supermarket with it...a waste of money.

The 4 runner is rather small for an SUV and prone to roll overs because of its narrow body and high stance. The Santa Fe is wider and lower to the ground. The Santa Fe also really isn't an SUV, which is why it gets decent MPGs for its size. Its not built on a true truck platform like the 4 Runner and Land Cruiser which also makes it ride better. Funny you mention the Santa Fe, I saw one this morning in a dark red, really nice looking car. They did a nice job on that car and they give you a ton of features which would be optional on the Toyota and GMC.

mirrodie
2009-06-12, 11:07 AM
Still that LandCruiser pricing is insane!

4Runner > Highlander > Sante Fe is the order of sizing in specifics in terms of both length and width.

So perhaps you meant the RAV4, as that is smaller?

Next step is to go out looking but leaning heavily toward Hyundai. I owed onw way back, an 89 that stank. They have come a long way.

Art at ISP
2009-06-18, 03:54 PM
OK, time for me to chime in if it's not too late......

First of all, Phil was absolutely correct--if leasing, you want to put as LITTLE up front as possible. Remember there's a difference between "down" and "up front". Down payment is also known as capitalized cost reduction, which is used to offset the amount financed by the lease.
Up front fees include the down payment as well as all fees and taxes associated with the lease--bank fee, security deposit, etc.

Leasing a GM car is not an option as NO ONE is offering leases on them at the moment, and due to EXTREMELY low residuals, I think lease payments would be through the roof. I am not sure about Chrysler, but I am not sure leases would be available on their vehicles either.

The Pacifica was discontinued last year. I have rented them on occasion, and was not impressed.

My recommendation would be to look at crossovers--not quite minivans but not quite SUV's. If you were happy with the Altima, I would recommend the Murano--the Rogue may be too small for your growing family. Due to my bad experience with Infiniti, I can't recommend the FX or EX.

The Acadia is nice, and I have a friend who is a GMC dealer if you're interested. The Buick Enclave is the same car basically as well. Remember though you might not get a lease on a GM vehicle.

Call me when you're ready and I will go with you if you like--as I did last time.

Best,
Art

T-Bird76
2009-06-18, 04:05 PM
Leasing a GM car is not an option as NO ONE is offering leases on them at the moment

Art GMAC is offering lease programs and many dealerships have setup local programs ith banks.

Interesting you bring up residuals because for some reason right now Chrysler residuals are higher then GM residuals. Talking to our lease company (GE) the other day they are at a loss as to why. First time that has ever happened.

mirrodie
2009-06-23, 03:32 PM
I hate looking at cars.

Finally had a chance to see:

Honda Pilot-excellent reliability, priced kinda steep

Toyota Highlander- same as above.

Hyundai Veracruz- nice but once the 3rd row is up, very little cargo room. Not very roomy.

Nissan Pathfinder (Murano is smallish for us.)- mensa mensa.

Looks like the Pilot is the top contender. We were really amped up on the Hyundai Veracruz but having seen it, its somewhat small. Did a lot of research with Consumers Reports and while Hyundai has a great warranty, their problem rate mirrors GMC and Chysler (as a function of age). Honda and Toyota are both up there, with the Nissan a close second. :borat:

These are for the family car, of course. When it comes time to give up the old Altima, I am still LOVING the totally impractical FJ Cruiser for me..... perhaps in a few years I'll treat myself. That is one AWESOME looking ride.

Art at ISP
2009-06-23, 03:55 PM
Mario,

I am not sure but I believe the Murano has more interior space than the Pathfinder--but that's just according to my memory.

Do you need a third row?

From what I have seen the Acadia/Enclave is pretty good....how did you like it?

mirrodie
2009-06-23, 04:20 PM
Murano is remarkably smaller than Pathfinder, Pathfinder has a 3rd row, Murano, no.

Hyundais Veracruz is similar to Murano, but they threw in a third row seat.

Acadia/Enclave look appealing but research was less than I would have liked. The reliability numbers are low over the long haul. Otherwise, sizewise they'd be great

T-Bird76
2009-06-23, 04:57 PM
Acadia/Enclave look appealing but research was less than I would have liked. The reliability numbers are low over the long haul. Otherwise, sizewise they'd be great

What research are you doing? Just ran the reports on this car in our fleet system and the long haul reliablity is well abover average.

Art at ISP
2009-06-23, 05:23 PM
Yes I thought the Acadia/Enclave was rated pretty good overall...one of my clients has the Acadia and it's pretty nice.

When you're ready to do the heavy negotiating, I gladly offer my services again 8)

On my end, my 2010 Audi A4 has arrived at the port and is expected to be at the dealership the week of July 6th. I can't WAIT.

mirrodie
2009-06-23, 05:37 PM
Did a lot of research with Consumers Reports and while Hyundai has a great warranty, their problem rate mirrors GMC and Chysler (as a function of age). Honda and Toyota are both up there, with the Nissan a close second. :borat:

Time for an eye exam??? :wink:

Cross referencing Consumers reports with Edmunds and KBB.

mirrodie
2009-06-24, 09:34 PM
Art, I'll take you up on it.

The Pilot and Highlander are still the top contenders. The GMC Acadia is nice and is still a consideration. But again, Enclave and Acadia ride nice, but long term reliability, (and I think both are only 3 years old) is less than stellar. And although Hyundai was a top contender, their largest one is a bit cramped and long term, again, is less than stellar. Your research may vary.

Jonesbeach
2009-06-25, 12:42 PM
We just bought a Highlander three weeks ago and so far we like it. There have been a couple of issues with the dashboard lights, but overall I think it's a pretty nice truck. Before this we had a 2002 Honda CR-V, so the Highlander represents a big bump up in terms of size, but shuttling the kids around required the extra seats.

Art at ISP
2009-06-26, 08:33 AM
Hey Mario,

As long as you are considering Highlander, would you think about Hybrid? We have the Lexus RX-400h hybrid, and I average 26-27 mpg in mixed driving. I drove it into NYC yesterday and got almost 29. JoAnn and I went to Montauk a couple of weeks ago and it got 30.

Of course the price of oil may not justify the price delta, but we all know oil will go back up at some point, and hybrids will be hot again.....

mirrodie
2009-06-26, 10:04 AM
Thanks Art. I will look into it. Honestly, we tend to hold onto our cars for the long haul, so it may be worth it.

T-Bird76
2009-06-26, 04:24 PM
Cross referencing Consumers reports with Edmunds and KBB.

Look at JD Power and Associates...far better and less biased reporting.

mirrodie
2009-06-26, 09:15 PM
Oh, I have. I dont think COnsumers Reporrts is biased, as much as there aren't using too many samples. The buy each car and assess.

Kbb.com seems to carry info from JD Power.

Still looking.....

mirrodie
2009-06-29, 10:17 PM
So over the last week, we have seen, in real life, but not yet driven,

Honda Pilot, Hyundai Veracruz and Santa Fe, Toyota Highlander, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave and Chevy Traverse.

Whats amazing is that as HUGE as the Acadia seems compared to the Veracruz and Pilot, once you flip up that 3rd pair of seats, all these cars are essentially the same!

The real difference is in the cavernous interior. The main cabin of the Pilot/highlander/veracruz seems big enough to sit 7/8.

But in comparison, the main cabin of the Traverse/Acadia/enclave sits 7/8 men, all of them the size of football players. So the seats and roof are larger/taller, but once that 3rd row of seats go up, the cargo hold is minimal and quite comparable to the 'asian' competitors I noted.

Having seen them all in hte span of a few days, I think the Hyundais are too small.

Top contenders remain the Traverse, Pilot, Highlander and Acadia.

Where are the deals?

Just realized my lease is up in 39, not 36 months, so we have more time and that pushes any decisions to November.

mirrodie
2009-07-02, 11:43 AM
After several test drives today, the Hyundais, while really nicely equipped and with the excellent warranty, are simply too tight on space. Hyundai's are out. (though, if you are on the market, the Genesis is a beautiful automobile)

The Honda Pilot......out unfortunately. Good ride but seating considerations are not ideal.

Drove the Chevy Traverse and its seating and cargo makes it a prime candidate but I do have concerns about reliability.

Still have to drive the Toyota Highlander and GMC Acadia, but, honestly, the Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, are very similar, just at different price points, no? What is the major difference there?

(BTW, Moose, we did look at a minivan............must be a generational thing, but they are totally off our radar.)

T-Bird76
2009-07-02, 03:05 PM
Drove the Chevy Traverse and its seating and cargo makes it a prime candidate but I do have concerns about reliability.

Still have to drive the Toyota Highlander and GMC Acadia, but, honestly, the Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, are very similar, just at different price points, no? What is the major difference there?

To address your first point...Mario your concerns are unfounded. Would a fleet manager who manages a fleet of 70 million dollars a year drive an unreliable car? The answer to that question is...no.

Chevy Traverse- Entry level

GMC Arcadia- Mid point

Buick Enclave- High end

The three are the same platform with different exterior and interior trims and options.

mirrodie
2009-07-02, 09:37 PM
Tom, I think perhaps your misunderstanding me. Your fleet may very well be reliable, but not the most. I was looking at tops in reliability. And at the end of the day, your fleet is going to be influenced, to some degree, by volume pricing, no?

I noticed you said, "Look at JD Power and Associates...far better and less biased reporting." How are Edmunds, KBB and Consumers Reports biased?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars ... faq_ov.htm (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/auto-test/consumer-reports-car-reliability-faq-8-06/overview/0608_consumer-reports-carreliability-faq_ov.htm)

1.2. How does CR's survey compare with other reliability surveys?
The timeframes used in collecting data also differ among surveys. J.D. Power's IQS is based on the first 90 days of ownership of new vehicles only, and its VDS (Vehicle Dependability Study) is exclusively based on 3-year-old vehicles. CR's survey asks about subscribers' experiences with their vehicles over the course of the previous 12 months and, starting with 2006, CR's survey now covers 10 model years—from brand-new models to models that are 10 years old, providing a more complete profile of the life of a model. Our Predicted Reliability, which forecasts how well a new model is likely to hold up, is based on the cumulative experiences of owners of the three latest model years.

That said, while I do value the Consumers Reports, edmunds, etc, seeing the cars has had the most impact on whats driving our decision.

T-Bird76
2009-07-04, 11:25 AM
Tom, I think perhaps your misunderstanding me. Your fleet may very well be reliable, but not the most. I was looking at tops in reliability. And at the end of the day, your fleet is going to be influenced, to some degree, by volume pricing, no?

Our fleet is not made up of Arcadias, our fleet manager drives one based on what he knows of its build quality, btw he looked at the Highlander, great car but talk to me when you try to remove the third row seat. Your putting to much stock into Consumer Reports...the same magazine who takes two vacuums cleaners made by the same OEM with different retail labels and reviews one as crap and one as fantastic.

mirrodie
2009-07-05, 12:15 AM
Our fleet is not made up of Arcadias

I didnt say that. However, its usually the case that while a fleet mgr looks at lots of variables, I know that once the top, say, 3 contenders are considered, at some point its who is gonna give the best price.

based on what he knows of its build quality, btw he looked at the Highlander, great car but talk to me when you try to remove the third row seat.

why would I want to remove the 3rd row seat?????

Seats and the set up are a huge consideration, hence the need to get out there and kick the tires.

Your putting to much stock into Consumer Report

Not at all, but its a good first start. Then we went to Edmunds and Kbb and finally narrowed it down to 6 choices to test drive.
But to back my point, to look at the long term reliability, CR is a better resource based on what data they collect.

made by the same OEM

Which, BTW, has us considering the Chevy Traverse over the GMC Acadia. Same Lambda platform, just variations on bells and whistles, which are pretty unnecessary for us.

Art at ISP
2009-07-18, 02:33 PM
Well, I got some news today--my car was released from the port and loaded onto the truck yesterday, and with any luck I will be driving it by Tuesday!!! It was quite a three month wait, but also the first time I ordered a car built specifically for me.....

mirrodie
2009-07-18, 08:44 PM
mazel tov! can't wait to catch a ride!

Ive got shotgun!

emshighway
2009-07-18, 09:07 PM
IT"S A JEEP THING!!!!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/emshighway/JeepLiberty.jpg

Art at ISP
2009-07-20, 10:06 PM
Well, the car arrived at the dealership today, and tomorrow afternoon I am taking delivery of my new 2010 Audi A4!!!!!

I just hope it was worth the wait.........

Art at ISP
2009-07-21, 06:19 PM
And the baby has arrived. I had the honor of being the first customer at Legend Audi to take delivery of a 2010 A4-which I had ordered in April. There was a momentary glitch when the NYS Inspection computer came back indicating it was a 1980 model but this appears to be a known issue at DMV.... so here she is:

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG00022-20090721-1310.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG00023-20090721-1310.jpg

mirrodie
2009-07-21, 06:29 PM
I love it. Flick the headlights on and post pics!!!

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-07-21, 09:08 PM
Nice. 8)

Matt Molnar
2009-07-21, 10:18 PM
Purrrty.

coachrowsey
2009-07-22, 11:53 AM
Beautiful Art. We will be awaiting a ride :D

PhilDernerJr
2009-07-22, 02:02 PM
Nice car, congrats!

You should have kept the 1980 thing and gotten historic insurance rates!

moose135
2009-07-22, 02:32 PM
You should have kept the 1980 thing and gotten historic insurance rates!
But then Audi would tell him his warranty expired 25 years ago!

Art at ISP
2009-07-22, 09:56 PM
I turns out that New York State DMV knew all about this problem, since March when the first 2010's came out. The VIN's use a code for year which gets reused every 30 years. They had a bulletin on the problem, but since my car was the very first 2010 Audi to be delivered at the dealership (and possibly the state), they didn't know about it--

At the end of the day, I must say I love the car....PLUS it costs $110 a month LESS than the car I just turned back!

Thanks for the kind remarks--Mario you're next--so let me know when you're ready...and I will help you.

PhilDernerJr
2009-07-22, 10:04 PM
I'm lookin to lease a 09 Civic or Corolla right now. haha

Art at ISP
2009-07-23, 08:27 AM
Phil,

Happy to help you - let me know when you want to go car shopping!!

I have connections for Nissan, Lexus and VW/Audi, by the way.

mirrodie
2009-12-04, 12:03 PM
So its interesting to see how my vetting process for the new car has gone. Here is one of our earlier posts:

Actually Highlander is in strong contention.
We are still in research mode, but the Toyota Highlander, Rav4, Hyundai Santa Fe and Veracruz and, only lately the GMC Envoy and Arcadia are being looked at. Saw the Acadia parked next to the Envoy and I think the Acadia is TOO big.

As we read up on cars over the past few months and did lots of test driving, fuel economy (fueleconomy.gov), trim levels and ride, it turns out that the top contenders ended up being a Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9, Acura MDX and Chevy Traverse.

The CX-9 and Acura, both nice, but I didn't like the blind spots and Mazda resale was a bit lower. Otherwise, both were notable.

The Traverse/Acadia, both large cars of the same platform, were overblown, meaning that right now when you see Traverse commercials toting better fuel econ, its a trivial gain. Fuel econ of all these models are VERY similar and $$ spent on fuel varies by within $200.

In the end, the top 2 contenders were the Honda Pilot and ChevyTraverse: The problem again with Traverse is that it starts at 30K. When you add that our only necessary minimal accessories needed were a backupcamera, leather and sunroof, it boosts the price to $38,588. In a CX-9, it was 34,500 and in a Pilot EX-L, these were standard for $33.5K. We could not justify spending $5K more for a GM with a minimal fuel economy advantage in the same trim.

So we got our Pilot Monday night. It is the same color as the returned Altima lease, so I joke with my son that the car "grew." Hence the car's name is .....Groo Grux.
Will post pics soon.

In the end though, too bad they dont make these anymore. Drop a diesel or hybrid engine here and this thing sat 3 in front, 4 in the middle and three in back with room to spare. The good ol days are gone! LOL A real chick magnet and mommy mobile!
http://image.nettix.fi/extra/carimg/2434901_2435000/2434992_b_eedbf2b35a375e76.jpg