PDA

View Full Version : Great Spotting Idea, something the Americans should try!

LGA777
2009-04-15, 07:15 PM
While I doubt any US airports would be nice enough to build one of these at least now I know why we see so many great shots from Malta, BRILLIANT IDEA !

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6520903

Love it !

LGA777

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-15, 09:14 PM
love the idea but seems to risky....

coachrowsey
2009-04-16, 12:08 AM
Nice, but doubt they go for it here.

mmedford
2009-04-16, 02:43 AM
oh Please...

Let TSA & Port at it...they'd have a field day coming up with reasons not to allow it...

T-Bird76
2009-04-16, 09:06 AM
RDU has something exactly like this but much larger and much nicer so its been done here already.

moose135
2009-04-16, 10:42 AM
Come on guys, what are you thinking? You know how dangerous it is for someone to point a camera at an airplane! :wink:

h2opunk1822
2009-04-16, 02:23 PM
what about the viewing area in FLL???.. i mean thats right on the approach or 9l (i think) and they have it connected to approach so you can hear all the communications.. The port might not be game but they do have it in other airport

mirrodie
2009-04-16, 03:26 PM
I disagree with one;s note that it is too risky.

As it stands now when taking pics near LGA or JFK, people are finding spots, being told to move on by cops, driving around to find hte best location, etc etc.

If at LGA or JFK, there was an obs deck, that is one less thing for PA cops to worry about. And if you ARE the imbecile photog that decided NOT to use such an observation deck, then PA would have every right to bust your chops.

There are pros and cons to each situation,.

Speedbird1
2009-04-17, 09:26 AM
This is a good point. If the PA provided an observation deck for spotters then they could justify chasing photographers away from fences near runways, etc. Such a deck like this would be on my wish list but I doubt if it would come to pass. The PA cares nothing about spotters. Right now, the best place for me is at the new CitiField pretending to watch the game but really watching aircraft. The way our NY teams play nowadays, it's more satisfying just watching the aircraft. Purchase a seat as high as possible at CitiField.

microlight
2009-05-03, 10:48 AM
Sure wish your authorities over the pond would have a serious re-think.

Returned this morning from Orlando , I noted that the aircraft spotting ban at the airport has been lifted. Went along filled in the forms and obtained permission for a few days from the authorities.

Only on level 9 of the main car park allowed and unfortunatly you need the Hubble Telescope strapped to your camera - I gave up a total waste of time. At least 400mm- 600mm needed and too much heat haze to cut through.

A simple fenced enclosure along the fence line at some point with monitored CCTV , with lens holes available in the fence would do the trick and it could be self funding by admission charge , hope the situation improves for you guys in the future over in the colonies , it seems very over the top still despite the threat level being at orange.

Over here its at high -severe and we have no problems usually , a spotter or photographer will always notify the cops if he sees something suspicious
anyway , thats the idea or should I say thats the deal at some airports with the police !

LGA777
2009-05-03, 02:14 PM
microlight, actually MCO is probably the stricktest airport of it's size in this country when it comes to photography, and sadly it is one of the most visited from the UK because of the popularity of the nearby famous mouse.

Come to NYC and some of the locals from this site can probably help you do a lot better, and with the economy and reduced International travel demand this may be one of the cheapest times to fly.

Cheers

LGA777

microlight
2009-05-04, 11:23 AM
LGA777

Thanks for the info , might give New York a try at some stage , no doubt the
shopping can entice my wife as much as it does in the sunshine state -would
be a good bargaining chip :lol:

Jetinder
2009-05-09, 04:20 AM
That is great idea.

From the 1950 - winter 2002 Terminal 2s roof top at Heathrow Airport had been a plane spotting area, any one could go there and watch the planes, it was heaven on earth.

They use to open it sunrise and close it sunset, it was brilliant but you could only see the South runway.

But from what i heard as usual the hitler police of Heathrow Airport stopped it all as they reckond it was a "security risk" ........ yeah right and pigs can fly.

For 50 odd years that plane spotting area had been there with no worries at all and it was monitored by 24 hr CCTV so there was no "security" risk at all.

In 2003 they then opened up a smaller area at Heathrow visitor centre near the north runway.

This was never as good as Terminal 2 as you where forced to watch planes through thick green glass walls, which for picture taking was utter kak.

But i heard this has been closed so plane spotters have to walk round the public roads of Heathrow with the risk of hitler police of Heathrow Airport ready to jump on them at any point in time and stop / search them under section 44 of the terrorist act.

If those air heads at Heathrow had left open Terminal 2s roof top open for plane spotters or had made a new plane spotting area on Terminal 5s roof top then none of the hassel plane spotters get now would happen. Heathrow Police would not waste their time stopping and search any one under section 44 as every one would be at the plane spotting area.

But as usual "men in power" have their heads to far up in the clouds to know what the rest of their body is doing, they don't listen to any one and thus make mistakes (as they can't see the whole picture).