PDA

View Full Version : JFK Runway Run (5k) - 4/19

pgengler
2009-04-05, 11:50 PM
I haven't seen anything posted about this yet, so here it is:

Sunday, April 19 is the JFK Runway Run 5k (http://www.jfkrunwayrun.org/). It's a 5k race that takes place largely on runway 31L at JFK. I've run the race for the last two years and I'll be out again this year; I know there are a couple of people on the forum that have run it longer than that. You can still register online ($20+a processing fee) or register in person on race day ($25).

Who else will be running this year?

mmedford
2009-04-06, 01:24 AM
I'll be there, watching you guys...lol

heeshung
2009-04-06, 08:10 PM
Do you have to pay the registration fee if you're watching, but not running?

eric8669
2009-04-08, 06:20 PM
unfortunately I can't make it this year.

Vidiot
2009-04-17, 05:04 PM
Apparently there's not much to see if you're a spectator, as runners are bused from Bldg. 14 to the runway itself.

I may be out there, walking with my gf if I can talk her into it.

eric8669
2009-04-19, 08:20 AM
Good luck to all those that are going out there today.

Looks like a nice day to run, walk, etc.....

pgengler
2009-04-19, 12:16 PM
Well once again it was windy (050@10 now, which is probably close to what it was at race time) but fun. I think that Port was doing some construction on 22R, which meant they were landing and departing the 31s, so this year the race was on runway 22L instead of 13R/31L. I really wish I had brought a camera; the race staging area was over at the fire training "planes" and there was a great view of 31R arrivals right in front of us. The race started on taxiway Echo and then onto 22L, with 31R arrivals coming overhead. JetBlue had an E190 parked on 22L at the turnaround point; we were far enough down and the departure line long enough that I'm sure people on the planes waiting to leave were scratching their heads about what was going on. Naturally after turning around we were running into the wind, which is not so much fun. All in all, though, it was a good time.

You guys should all come out next year; even if you don't run you can walk. After all, how often do you get the chance to be on the runway at JFK without being in a plane?

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-19, 12:34 PM
Well once again it was windy (050@10 now, which is probably close to what it was at race time) but fun. I think that Port was doing some construction on 22R, which meant they were landing and departing the 31s, so this year the race was on runway 22L instead of 13R/31L. I really wish I had brought a camera; the race staging area was over at the fire training "planes" and there was a great view of 31R arrivals right in front of us. The race started on taxiway Echo and then onto 22L, with 31R arrivals coming overhead. JetBlue had an E190 parked on 22L at the turnaround point; we were far enough down and the departure line long enough that I'm sure people on the planes waiting to leave were scratching their heads about what was going on. Naturally after turning around we were running into the wind, which is not so much fun. All in all, though, it was a good time.

You guys should all come out next year; even if you don't run you can walk. After all, how often do you get the chance to be on the runway at JFK without being in a plane?
I will go....................to see the planes.

bluejuice
2009-04-19, 06:10 PM
Yea we had AC # 231 out at the turning point again this year. I was up in our tower and the pilots were more concerned as to why we had a plane over there with all the vehicles out there. Thought it was some sort of problem AC. Watched the race go off and yes there was a long line up to take off on 31 L at race time. About 15 AC in the line up. Would have been a good day to spot on the rwy. And yes 22 is closed for the month for construction.. Congrats to all who ran and walked.

eric8669
2009-05-04, 01:03 PM
Here is link to the photo's from the event. Very cool with the planes landing on 31R. Wish I could have gone this year.

http://www.jfkrunwayrun.org/5k09/index.htm