PDA

View Full Version : Media Passes?

jerslice
2009-03-26, 11:40 PM
So, I've got a question for some of you. How do you go about contacting newspapers to do freelance work?
I've managed to pull it off to do high school sports work, but nothing more. I was thinking about contacting some of the local papers - well actually paper now - about covering some of the airshows coming up in the area over the summer. Any suggestions on how to best go about it? I have a good print and digital portfolio to show around. But anyways, any suggestions, thoughts? I'd appreciate it.

Derf
2009-03-27, 12:46 AM
So, I've got a question for some of you. How do you go about contacting newspapers to do freelance work?
I've managed to pull it off to do high school sports work, but nothing more. I was thinking about contacting some of the local papers - well actually paper now - about covering some of the airshows coming up in the area over the summer. Any suggestions on how to best go about it? I have a good print and digital portfolio to show around. But anyways, any suggestions, thoughts? I'd appreciate it.

Phone, Email...snail mail is out because it is too slow

Derf
2009-03-27, 12:48 AM
seriously, Get newsworthy photos...get to them quick....repeat.

Keep that up for a while, then things happen. Chase
Ambulances....well, before they leave the scene. If they keep using you,
they will want you. If they like your style...that helps too. You
need to be in their face with things they can use.

If they are happy every time they see you...naturally they will always
want you around.

emshighway
2009-03-27, 01:30 PM
I use to do it in the 80's in the city. That was film and what we would do is shoot the incident and decide if we wanted to go to the Post or Daily News. Both had drop boxes in their lobbies. You would put the film in an envelope with our name, address, phone number and SS#. If they used the shot then you would get a check in the mail. Sometimes if they didn't but they still liked my stuff I would get a check for $25 bucks for the effort.

You need three published photos (tear sheets) to qualify for a Press Card in NYC.

Nowadays of course you can email the shots to the photo editors.