PDA

View Full Version : Parked Truck Got Hit

PhilDernerJr
2009-03-22, 09:46 AM
I woke up at 4:30 this morning to go to work, and I walked to my truck (parked on the street) to find it surrounded by broken car parts and sand. Fortunately, these parts did not belong to my car, and if I gathered them up, I feel like I probably could have completely built a Nissan Maxima (Nissan grill, bumper, etc.).

There was a note left behind that said my car was in an accident and it had the contact info for the local precinct for me to get a copy of the police report. I'm eager to see what happened.

Considering, the damage to my truck could be worse, and I'm lucky it's drivable. I am surprised none of the wheels or tires were hit/destroyed, but I want to get a closer look anyway....so I don't lose a wheel on the LIE again!

I called the precinct and the girl said that the report is not yet in the computer so she can't pull up any info on it. She said I should contact my insurance company, but probably not yet. Not yet because there is a chance it was a hit and run, and if there is no one else's insurance to pin it to, my insurance will absorb it...costing me.

I had the lady go out and take pics before someone swept it up. The empty parking spot is where my vehicle was.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/accident01.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/accident02.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/accident03.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/accident04.jpg

moose135
2009-03-22, 10:01 AM
Sorry to hear this! How much damage did you have to your truck? Whether you end up filing a claim for repairs or not, you should notify your insurance company right away in any case - you don't want them hearing about it from someone else. And one claim, especially if you weren't at fault, shouldn't affect your insurance rates.

cancidas
2009-03-22, 10:05 AM
that sucks dude, i know what it's like because i've been through that too. by bronco was hit one night and while i though there was just surface damage to the fender they actually bent part of the frame and most of the parts for the front wheel drive. i actually got a phone call from the police waking me up because they wanted my info for the report. the other driver was drunk.

i hope it works out well for you, post pix when you see the damage done.

PhilDernerJr
2009-03-22, 10:10 AM
For legal reasons, I might wait to post info/details/pics of my damage until I get it looked at by a mechanic.

I'll probably give insurance a call anyway.

Mellyrose
2009-03-22, 11:05 AM
When Phil called me to tell me about this and asked me to take pics, I was NOT prepared to go out and see half a car on the ground. See all that sand? There was definitely a spill...right under the truck. I guess we're just lucky that Phil's car didn't explode. :borat:

moose135
2009-03-22, 11:14 AM
See all that sand? There was definitely a spill...right under the truck. I guess we're just lucky that Phil's car didn't explode. :borat:
Yeah, but from all the front end pieces of that Nissan you found, I would suspect it was a damaged radiator that spilled some coolant, rather than something flammable.

Art at ISP
2009-03-22, 11:19 AM
Something doesn't sound right here. Phil, was the note from the police? All they had to do was run your plate and call you or show up at your door....

I hope all works out for you....good luck!

PhilDernerJr
2009-03-22, 11:30 AM
The note was from a pad which I think was an officer's pad....also the proper way it was written makes me think it was the cops. It also had the precinct's phone and address on it. Regular people aren't that kind!

If they ran my plate, my address is 4 miles from where it was parked...so maybe they didn't want to wake me. They wouldn't have found me there anyway. Heck, maybe they DID go there! I'd have no way of knowing.

In the 2nd pic, you cna see a club promo card in the pile of rubble. I wonder if alcohol was involved.

T-Bird76
2009-03-22, 12:33 PM
Looks like your truck won the fight I'd say. ;)

Mellyrose
2009-03-22, 12:35 PM
In the 2nd pic, you cna see a club promo card in the pile of rubble. I wonder if alcohol was involved.

I'm sure alcohol was involved in someway...and when I saw the promo card(s), I thought the same...but think about it - those are all over the streets.

I think Phil is just trying to pull a David Caruso. :lol:

PhilDernerJr
2009-03-22, 12:59 PM
I think the sand was actually to absorb the guy's beer that he spilled!

Maybe it was Xibit that hit me:
"Yo dawg, I heard you like cars, so we put a car under your car so you can drive while you drive!"

I think Phil is just trying to pull a David Caruso. :lol:

"It seems......as though Phil *removes sunglasses*....was taken for a ride." YYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Matt Molnar
2009-03-22, 02:01 PM
HOW DARE YOU TRUCK GET IN THE WAY OF OUR PIMPED SENTRA RACE

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/mentokaleo/CluB15%20Hawaii/P6110166.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/JayUnit360/RHID/RHID002.jpg

NYCMedic
2009-03-22, 02:19 PM
If you look up in the left corner close to the light pole there appears to be blue rubber gloves. That might be a good sign that an ambulance and possibly PD were there. The sand probably came from a fire engine. Most FDNY engines carry a bucket of sand on their back step.

Mellyrose
2009-03-22, 03:09 PM
....here appears to be blue rubber gloves. That might be a good sign that an ambulance and possibly PD were there.

I actually meant to mention the glove when I was out there on the phone with Phil and noticed it laying there. I am REALLY curious to know what the HELL happened! I hope everyone was ok.

mirrodie
2009-03-22, 03:24 PM
I saw your truck this AM, didnt look too bad from the angle I saw it.

Good luck

LGA777
2009-03-22, 06:40 PM
Wow Phil, it's lucky you have a decent size truck, if you had a car, especially a smaller one you could have had serious damage.

As I park on the street in the Bronx I have had 3 seperate dents from 2 hit and runs when my car was parked in my neighborhood plus one from a super market parking lot.

I am betting the guy was drunk, fled the scene and the police where their because they either obseved the car parts in passing or perhaps a witness called perhaps that only heard it from inside an apartment, the impact was probably pretty loud.

By the way the grill I would say is almost definetly an Altima.

Good Luck and I am glad it was not any worse for you than this.

LGA777

PhilDernerJr
2009-03-23, 09:20 AM
Thanks. I'll learn more details once I get the police report tomorrow, which is the earliest it will be available.

I went back to the scene after work and noticed that there was a section of bumper that had a sticker on it which said it was an Altima. I don't see how all of those bumper pieces could have come off with no license plate. Even if they ran, the cops would have to know who he is. We shall see I guess.

PhilDernerJr
2009-03-24, 11:28 AM
Alright. It was a two-car accident, both cars starting on the street I was on. One car (Infiniti) was going in the same direction as my vehicle, and the other (Altima) going in the opposite, making a left-hand turn, when they collided. The non-turning vehicle hit mine, but the Altima's parts flew under my car as well. Airbags deployed on both, Infiniti driver injured.

NYCMedic
2009-03-24, 01:05 PM
Even though the non turning vehicle hit your truck I believe the turning vehicle is at fault. At least that is the way they teach it in CEVO(Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator). I took the following from the DMV website as well: "You want to turn left at an intersection ahead. A vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction, going straight ahead. You must wait for approaching traffic to go through before you turn. You may enter the intersection, however, to prepare for your left turn if the light is green and no other vehicle ahead of you is preparing for a left turn (see "Turns" later in this chapter). When you enter the intersection, stay to the right of the center line. Keep your wheels straight to avoid being pushed into oncoming traffic should a rear-end collision occur. When approaching traffic clears or stops for a red light, complete your turn.

You must also yield to approaching traffic when turning left into a driveway, alleyway, parking lot or other area, even if the turn is not controlled by signs or signals.

For any left turn, the law requires you to yield to any approaching traffic close enough to be a hazard. Deciding when traffic is too close takes experience and judgment. If you have any doubt, wait for traffic to pass before turning left."