PDA

View Full Version : LGA Runway Closures for Sat/Sun March 14/15

LGA777
2009-03-13, 06:54 PM
For anyone interesting in LGA shooting/spotting this weekend the following runway construction closeures are planned.

Sat 3/14 Runway 4-22 will be closed from 0001 to 1800 local
Sun 3/15 Runway 13-31 will be closed from 0500 to 1600 local.

Regards

LGA777

threeholerglory
2009-03-13, 09:20 PM
nice...what is the light like when they're using 4/22 for the morning?....probably between the hours of 5 and early afternoon?

lijk604
2009-03-14, 11:44 AM
nice...what is the light like when they're using 4/22 for the morning?....probably between the hours of 5 and early afternoon?

Light is great over at Planeview Park between sunrise and around noon, then it gets to be the wrong angle. I may make a trip out there tomorrow morning.

PhilDernerJr
2009-03-14, 12:54 PM
Are these runway closures going to be a regular thing? Is there a site or source for them?

LGA777
2009-03-14, 01:43 PM
Are these runway closures going to be a regular thing? Is there a site or source for them?

They are regular but not every weekend, although once warmer weather arrives they will become more regular.

My source is construction e-mails I recieve from the person in LGA PA Ops that is in charge of these projects. Normally I get a tenetive one mid-day Thursday with the final go no-go one on Friday afternoon. In the last year I have seen these cancelled twice after the Friday e-mail when the actual weather was worse than forecast, keep in mind this can include wind speed and/or direction for safety reasons for aircraft with maybe the good runway (wind direction wise) being closed.

LGA777

Airutopia
2009-03-15, 10:02 AM
LGA777

Your posts of runway closures are appreciated. Actually Phil D was kind enough to ask this on my behalf as I'd like to be at LGA on a day where 13/31 is closed and we can view aircraft from the park. I have since registered so I can be more involved in direct posts and to not 'bug' Phil as much.

I am planning to make DVDs of all 3 NY Airports and have been collecting footage for years. My love is 'film and history preservation' with aviation as my first love. I have been collecting LGA footage with some clips starting at around the birth of LGA (1940). Footage includes over the years props filmed from the observation deck of the old days to L1011 (TW) and a DC10 (AA) takeoff/landing. These old films are 16 and 8mm. NOW - I film globally, but I have always loved NY (went to school at Stony Brook) airports and plan to finally work on these airports for my Amazing Airports series. I also collect EWR and JFK as well and continue to seek footage from the days when the ob decks were open.

Anyways - enough of my story... the key is I think whoever is in this forum may be of great assistance as nobody knows NY like New Yorkers. Right now, access to film clips when 13/31 is closed would be very helpful.

Thus LGA777 - I appreciate your post and updates on this.

I'd be happy to share my DVD in the end when all this is done.

Keep it coming..

cheers,
David Maxwell