PDA

View Full Version : No Daylight Savings Time until March 28

Speedbird1
2009-03-13, 09:54 AM
I was wondering about how the start of DST here in the USA affects European flights since they don't adopt DST until March 28. I am curious if flights from the Continent will arrive 1 hour earlier or later than usual. In Europe, will flights arrive earlier or later from the USA? It is confusing now.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-03-13, 11:05 AM
I'm not a huge fan of having to do local time conversion changes, and figuring out which time zone is where and who still has DST etc...

I use Zulu times to clear up any issues I may have. Use whatever Zulu time a flight takeoffs, add their expected en-route flight time, and then convert the arrival Zulu time to local, and you should have your answer.

PhilDernerJr
2009-03-13, 11:44 AM
Well the local time at one of the stations for departure or arrival would have to be changed by one hour during the interim. I believe the airline chooses which station receives that change, and that the arrival station is the one that tends to keep the local departure time the same.

cancidas
2009-03-13, 04:58 PM
while pax will ony ever see local times the dispatchers and flight crews live by zulu time. that's the case at my airline, and we don't even fly international. i'm sure that is the same at most, if not all international carriers.

Speedbird1
2009-03-14, 12:31 PM
I figured-out that until March 28, the European inbounds will arrive at JFK 1 hour later since Europe is still on Standard Time. For example, a flight usually arriving JFK 1300 will arrive 1400 until March 28.

DHG750R
2009-03-14, 10:59 PM
Z time ( UTC ) here as well, for us in system control and all stations. The only time where we would need to cross reference UTC and local time is when interpreting airport curfews.

There are a few websites out there that simplify the conversion, try this

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

mmedford
2009-03-15, 03:14 AM
i'm also on zulu time, kinda messes with everyone...