PDA

View Full Version : ATL Renaissance Offering Aviation Geek Weekend

crj200dispatcher
2009-03-11, 09:10 PM
I was just on the Atlanta Renaissance Concourse Hotel Atlanta Airport, and they are offering a Just Plane "Fun Aviator Weekend Getaway in Georgia", rooms are $89-$129

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-de ... nfo=284763 (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-deals/atlsa-renaissance-concourse-hotel-atlanta-airport/?offerInfo=284763)

Anyone interested in ATL Spotting Excursion this summer???

All the rooms up until September for this special have been reserved, so right now some spotters from CLE and myself are looking at Sept 11 thru the 13

Rooms overlook the airport and have a patio so SPOTTING PARTY!!!!!!

Matt Molnar
2009-03-11, 09:36 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool. The Renaissance at Heathrow offers a similar deal.

crj200dispatcher
2009-03-11, 09:41 PM
Just booked my room for myself and another spotter from CLE. This ad was first ran last week, and by the time I went to book our room for May everything was gone until September,so September it is.

So alot of one day spotting trips for the summer. Good thing of living in Ohio, I Have FWA/CMH/DAY/IND/CLE/DTW/CVG/ORD...all within 3 to 4 hours from me..FWA and DAY only 1 hour, but nothing happens there any longer

AndrewM
2009-03-12, 01:35 PM
I spotted at the ATL Renaissance last August and found the view to be really great. I had a 6 hour lay-over between LAX and DUB and shot over there and was given a room on one of the top floors facing the field for I think about $50. It was worth it even for a short visit; you'll have a great time.

T-Bird76
2009-03-12, 02:13 PM
Not a bad deal considering that hotel is a bloody rip off most of the time. Problem with the summer is heat haze and high sun making it far from ideal for photography.

crj200dispatcher
2009-03-12, 05:56 PM
Well we were trying for May, but since all the rooms are taken for this special, September was the best I could get, and it should still be a good time, and heck if it is hot, just step off the balocony and into the room for a min...lol

You want hot and spotting....go to IAH, now that is hot

ChrisW
2009-03-13, 08:25 PM
Feel free to contact me directly when you arrive. I am ATL-based.

crj200dispatcher
2009-03-13, 11:01 PM
ChrisW...definately will, another friend of mine who is a member of Opshots is also ATL based, and will be joining

Right now I have my room reserved for Sept 11 and leaving Sept 13, that way it will give me most of the day Friday, and all day Saturday, and since I am non revving, all day Sunday to get home in case flights are full

I am looking forward to this, waking up and going to sleep with the sound of aircraft, and the sweet smell of jet fuel

Planesntrains
2009-03-30, 06:54 PM
I called looking into it, and per Marriott, the promotion doesn't even exist. Dunno what happened there. You can still make a reservation at a normal rate and request a high floor with balcony airport side.

crj200dispatcher
2009-03-30, 08:05 PM
Just went to the Marriot website, and the special is still listed on the website

Promotion code R9H

Also verified my reservation and it is for the "Aviatior Weekend Getaway"

Planesntrains
2009-03-31, 12:21 PM
Just went to the Marriot website, and the special is still listed on the website

Promotion code R9H

Also verified my reservation and it is for the "Aviatior Weekend Getaway"

Oh yeah, it's on the website. But when I tried to call to make a reservation, the central booking office found nothing for that promotion. He looked at the website at his work center and was baffled, because in the reservation system, the promotion didn't exist.

That's what I meant. Should have been clearer. Sorry.

crj200dispatcher
2009-03-31, 07:23 PM
Matt, I had the same issue when trying to book the special. Called Res and they had no idea, so I had to go to the website, and go through every weekend until I found a weekend available for the special, which was Sept 11-13, so I had to change my last vacation, oh well, it will be the finale of summer spotting

Planesntrains
2009-04-01, 05:22 AM
Ha. You're lucky. I tried every Wed-Fri from next week into March 2010. Nothin'. I'm trying to schedule a trip anyway, albeit without the discount.

crj200dispatcher
2009-04-01, 05:37 PM
Matt, if you are serious about heading down to ATL, and if you can wait until Sept, you are more than welcome to join us, if you do not mind 3 people in one room, and only 2 beds.

Let me know

Planesntrains
2009-04-03, 02:38 AM
The hotel floor is your friend. Haha. Sent you a pm.

crj200dispatcher
2009-04-03, 06:39 PM
Matt, at work now dealing with the lovely LGA and JFK weather tonight on our Delta system.

And I will send you a response tomorrow when I am off.

How is the train yard in Sunnyside? Still pretty active? I used to live byu there

Planesntrains
2009-04-03, 08:31 PM
Matt, at work now dealing with the lovely LGA and JFK weather tonight on our Delta system.

And I will send you a response tomorrow when I am off.

How is the train yard in Sunnyside? Still pretty active? I used to live byu there

Sunnyside is still there, as big of a mess as ever! Haha. Q Tower still running the show. They're finally installing concrete ties, working on clearances, but still a mess.

Speaking of a mess, yea Metro NYC wasn't any fun last night. This afternoon was a kick too. Lots of cloud to ground lightning and the rain was coming down hard. Cleared up enough though to see the Continental departures from EWR climbing from the living room window.

To stay on topic though, rooms at ATL are going fast for this year with and without the discount. If anyone's planning on going, reserve quick. Same for EWR. Couple of friends and I are thinking of taking a local weekend to watch the Thanksgiving travel madness, and rooms are thin for obvious reasons.

crj200dispatcher
2009-04-03, 09:24 PM
I am dispatching DL Conx flights 6054 CMH-LGA and 6147 CMH-JFK (operated by Chautauqua Airlines)
6054 is finally enroute to LGA after a 322 minute delay and 6147 is still sitting in CMH with a Ground Stop to JFK now and a update of 930pm (and I am working overtime why???)

I see alot of holding right now at JFK.

So back on topic, Matt are you talking rooms by the EWR airport that are thin?

Matt, will you be flying out of LGA/EWR to ATL, if out of EWR, I could possibly try to route my flights through EWR on the 11'th deppending on passenger loads since I will be flying standby. I requested an early check in at the hotel and a high floor.

So right now it will be myself, a fellow spotter from Columbus, Ohio and yourself. And then 3 spotters who live in ATL will come over to spot. If you do a live search map, instead of spending outlandish money for room service and drinks (soda or alcohol), it appears we can walk a couple blocks and there are some fast food places and a Citgo station we can by refreshments. If that is alright with you?

Also, I need my coffee in the morning, so if I am snarling and not talking first thing in the morning you know why :twisted:

Planesntrains
2009-04-03, 09:49 PM
So back on topic, Matt are you talking rooms by the EWR airport that are thin?

Matt, will you be flying out of LGA/EWR to ATL, if out of EWR, I could possibly try to route my flights through EWR on the 11'th deppending on passenger loads since I will be flying standby. I requested an early check in at the hotel and a high floor.

So right now it will be myself, a fellow spotter from Columbus, Ohio and yourself. And then 3 spotters who live in ATL will come over to spot. If you do a live search map, instead of spending outlandish money for room service and drinks (soda or alcohol), it appears we can walk a couple blocks and there are some fast food places and a Citgo station we can by refreshments. If that is alright with you?

Also, I need my coffee in the morning, so if I am snarling and not talking first thing in the morning you know why :twisted:

Watching the Ramsey, NJ ACARS server, and DL is all over us here tonight.

For the end of the year, say late September on yes. Anytime before that looks good. I'm specifically aiming for the Thanksgiving circus for a second local vacation. Always fun to watch, not so fun to fly. :D

Yessir! Out of EWR. Easier for me than LGA or JFK. I can spit at it from here. Only about 1mi as the crow flies. Listening to a whole lot of departures shaking my windows tonight actually. hehe. And no argue with the snacks and such. I'm a big guy, but I really don't eat all that much so no big deal. As for the coffee....I'm a trucker...trust me...even though I hate coffee I know the caffeine addiction well!

Check your Pm's btw. Responded, and sent a second of stuff on the Acars server of a DL variety.

crj200dispatcher
2009-04-03, 10:01 PM
if I had all the EWR/LGA/JFK flights on my Flight Explorer we use here at work to flight follow, I would not be able to see most of the east coast....lol

I thought I was lucky when I lived in Sunnyside on the approach to runway 4 at LGA, but one mile from EWR, I would kill..LOL Like I said I am a CO fanatic, and never tire of watching them, and usually I Dispatch on our COEX division, but tonight the DL system, and this JFK flight now has wheels up time of 1030pm and the captain is whining, his first and only round trip today, how he is not going to get home now until 3am, well we have 50 passengers in JFK who pay his salary who would also like to see home tonight, so I do not feel sorry for him and he is legal to fly into tomorrow afternoon.

These are the days though I miss living in New York and listening to my scanner and all the flights inbound and holding instructions, I loved it