PDA

View Full Version : Tail strike vids...

Planesntrains
2009-03-05, 11:33 PM
Started checking out a bunch of videos on YouTube after watching the SXM clip. Check out some of these trail strikes...

kIuFzi83Lr4

fW-UFPmZgIk

YdAQxyjfl6A

PhilDernerJr
2009-03-06, 08:22 AM
The F-WWOW registration came into view just as I started to say "Wow".

cancidas
2009-03-06, 12:15 PM
i've seen videos of the boeing 777 doing the same at EDW. they used blocks of wood as skid pads i think. seeing the whalejet do it is pretty amazing too.

as far as that A320 video is concerned, what kind of a half-rate pilot do you have to be to screw up a landing that badly?!?! especially when the airplane flies itself for you too. and the A320 is pretty high on it's gear, not like it's easy to smack the tail into the ground...

Matt Molnar
2009-03-06, 02:53 PM
as far as that A320 video is concerned, what kind of a half-rate pilot do you have to be to screw up a landing that badly?!?! especially when the airplane flies itself for you too. and the A320 is pretty high on it's gear, not like it's easy to smack the tail into the ground...
I remember reading that pilot was fired, and rightfully so.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2009-04-11, 01:27 PM
The F-WWOW registration came into view just as I started to say "Wow".
Same here.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-11, 07:30 PM
I remember reading that pilot was fired, and rightfully so.
Yeah, it just too many lives at risk.

Matt Molnar
2009-04-11, 09:54 PM
What's the point of the tail strike test if they put 2x4s on the tail rather than actually slamming the tail into the ground? What are they testing exactly, if they're not testing the rigidity of the tail itself?

moose135
2009-04-11, 11:58 PM
What's the point of the tail strike test if they put 2x4s on the tail rather than actually slamming the tail into the ground? What are they testing exactly, if they're not testing the rigidity of the tail itself?
They are usually doing "minimum unstick" tests, where they see just how slow they can go while getting airborne. They really aren't slamming the tail into the ground, they are trying to fly the aircraft off at the slowest possible airspeed, which occurs at the maximum rotation angle - where the tail would be striking the ground.