PDA

View Full Version : Financial Help for Airlines ?

Speedbird1
2009-02-27, 11:12 AM
I was just wondering why the Stimulus Recovery Plan makes no mention of helping the airline industry. Banks and mortgage companies as well as the Auto Industry are mentioned. Doesn't the Airline Industry need help, too. Pilots and others are getting laid-off and many workers are tossed-out with no benefits. Capt. Sullenberger mentioned before Congress that his pension was cut in half. Safety programs such as the bird problem are not being addressed while ATC at many Towers are under-staffed, too. Why no help for them?

Matt Molnar
2009-02-27, 11:44 AM
Mainly because the banking and auto industries are in much worse shape than the airlines right now. Fuel costs are low, they've finally cut capacity, and they've screwed their employees out of enough pay and benefits that despite the downturn in demand, the airlines' losses really aren't that bad right now compared to, say, last summer when oil was $150 or after 9/11. The days when Delta and UA were posting $1 billion losses have passed, for now at least.

PhilDernerJr
2009-02-27, 02:46 PM
Also, the industry is still pretty saturated, and if any of them are doing that poorly, I say let them die out so we can start doing better as a whole by opening up some space.

I think that the merging of US and America West, as well as Northwest and Delta, did a lot for the industry. I actually don't think that the industry is in that bad of shape right now.

T-Bird76
2009-02-28, 01:34 AM
Speedbird's point is excellent...first thing we've ever agreed on btw...Obama's plan to rebuild roads, schools, this and that makes no mention of upgrading our ATC system or airports. This is a flawed idea and one that really is going to cost us down the line. The airlines themselves don't need the money, infact most are going to be able to weather the storm but our ATC system and airports need some major help.