PDA

View Full Version : Cash Strapped States May Scrap Death Penalty to Save $

Matt Molnar
2009-02-18, 02:59 AM
US states may axe executions to cut costs (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.62c8b3dbcd9464c77cc0d54a44b780f 6.21&show_article=1)
Feb 17 11:43 PM US/Eastern

In an unexpected twist to the economic crisis, several US states are weighing whether to abolish the death penalty as the execution process proves too great a drain on dwindling resources.

Death penalty laws remain on the books of 36 of the 50 US states, and capital punishment is supported by some two-thirds of the American public.

But across the nation, states as diverse and far-flung as Montana, Kansas, New Mexico and Maryland are among those actively considering abolishing capital punishment in a bid to overcome ballooning budget shortfalls. [Full Article (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.62c8b3dbcd9464c77cc0d54a44b780f 6.21&show_article=1)]

moose135
2009-02-18, 09:02 AM
Well, I guess any reason to stop this barbaric practice is fine with me.

PhilDernerJr
2009-02-18, 10:13 AM
Personally, for life with parole crimes, I'd rather kill the person off. I think that lethal injection is VERY humane, and it saves the person of torture in prison forever (even though many are like resorts these days).

More so, it SHOULD be cheaper, and I don't want as few of my tax dollars to go to scum as possible. If the death sentence is cheaper, I want it. If life without parole is cheaper, then I want that.

I also think we should offer the death penalty for child molestation.

Midnight Mike
2009-02-18, 10:57 AM
Personally, for life with parole crimes, I'd rather kill the person off. I think that lethal injection is VERY humane, and it saves the person of torture in prison forever (even though many are like resorts these days).

More so, it SHOULD be cheaper, and I don't want as few of my tax dollars to go to scum as possible. If the death sentence is cheaper, I want it. If life without parole is cheaper, then I want that.

I also think we should offer the death penalty for child molestation.

The cost for inmates on death-row is very costly & takes quite some time, the number of court trials is beyond insane. Reduce the number of appeals and/or set a time limit as to how long an inmate can stay on death-row & that would reduce the cost.....

Using California as an example, you have & have had people on death-row for more than 20 years, as for cruel & unusual punishment, you would think that anti-death penalty groups would think that is cruel. I

mates on death-row are kept separate from the general population in jail & I can not even begin to think how it must feel knowing that you are going to be killed, tomorrow....

mmedford
2009-02-18, 05:02 PM
Honestly, whats $90 in surplus NATO rounds and a $10 trip to Mcdonalds?

cancidas
2009-02-19, 12:52 PM
they could just buy me a few boxes of federal 5.56mm 55grain Full Metal Jacket rounds and i'll take care of it for them, no charge.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/AMM-207.jpg

come to think of it, i'd even do it for a few boxes of .45 JHP ammo too...