PDA

View Full Version : Trans-Atlantic on a 757

Ari707
2009-02-13, 01:24 PM
This summer myself, my wife and 2 kids have to go to stockholm for a wedding, I have CO miles and we are deciding between traveling out to EWR from LI for CO's non-stop to ARN or flying either KLM or AF from JFK with a stop. how bad is 7 hrs on a 757???

mirrodie
2009-02-13, 02:34 PM
Stick a cinderblock in your broomcloset
and sit for 7 hours. Should give you an idea (assuming coach).

Iberia A340-600
2009-02-13, 03:33 PM
I flew 7hr15mn on a Delta 757-200 flying ATL-LIM, definitely one of the worst flights in my life. Having one aisle on such a long flight and the tight cabin is really constricting. Other factors that made the flight bad included the turbulence, awful crew, awful food, awful seat, etc, etc.

That being said I've flown 4hrs on a Continental 757-200 flying EWR-SJU-EWR in the emergency exit row and bulkhead seat and enjoyed the flights very much. The food was fine, service, was fine, and the seats + new IFE are pretty great. If you can snag the emergency exit row or bulk head with the one pass advantage I'd say go for it.

Air France + KLM are always, at least for me, great flying experiences but traveling with your family it might be easier to eliminate the connection in CDG or AMS?

Hope I've helped.

N75715
2009-02-13, 06:42 PM
if you are lucky and get a bulkhead, it's a little more tolerable. the worst flight i EVER had was a DAL 763 from AMS-JFK. I have been in AZA, KLM, and Aerosvit 763's on marathon flights, but something with the DAL one was too cramped. seemed like there were about 2-3 less inches of leg room. I flew to HNL from EWR on a CO 764 - bulkhead and was rather comfortable. EWR to KGW on a 752 and it wasn't bad. then again, I'm only 5'7". weigh 180. those two factors are important as well.....

T-Bird76
2009-02-16, 08:02 PM
I would never book TATL on a 757 unless I was in J or F. I did 7 hours on a 757 from DFW to ANC and it blew big time...I'd do the stop.

mirrodie
2009-02-17, 12:42 AM
I assume you love your family.
You want to make them happy.

So F or J on a 757 TATL otherwise, yes, the stop is the way to go.

mmedford
2009-02-17, 01:18 AM
Stick a cinderblock in your broomcloset
and sit for 7 hours. Should give you an idea (assuming coach).

This is the best answer, EVER!

PhilDernerJr
2009-02-17, 01:46 AM
Considering that back in the day it used to take 4-6 weeks on a rocking boat to cross the Atlantic, I don't think 7-hours in a soft chair on ANY plane can be that bad.

mmedford
2009-02-17, 02:15 AM
Considering that back in the day it used to take 4-6 weeks on a rocking boat to cross the Atlantic, I don't think 7-hours in a soft chair on ANY plane can be that bad.

Well of course not, the thread starter is making a fine economical decision by using miles to purchase his tickets with very reputable airlines. What's the big deal really?

i've done it several times flying to the caribbean and back (5 to 6 hours). When my current financials didn't allow the upgrade, but I still needed to travel. Remember something, it can ALWAYS be worse.

I just thought that Mirrodie's answer was very well put, and deserved a mention. No matter how childish or immature it may sound.

Ari707
2009-02-17, 10:43 AM
I think we are leaning towards a stop too, plus it saves the trip to EWR from LI

mirrodie
2009-02-17, 12:23 PM

You're 100% correct but we are weighing a comparison given said parameters.

I just thought that Mirrodie's answer was very well put, and deserved a mention. No matter how childish or immature it may sound.

Childishness keeps one's mind fresh and flexible. I highly recommend it.

I think we are leaning towards a stop too, plus it saves the trip to EWR from LI

Lots of decisions. I mean you can take a limo to EWR. Personally and generally speaking, I'd recommend many international carriers out of NY over the domestic carriers. But perhaps Art at ISP can tell a bit more as he flies CO a lot these days.

When are the flights for?

mmedford
2009-02-17, 11:52 PM

Childishness keeps one's mind fresh and flexible. I highly recommend it.

I meant childish in my response to you, not with your response to the original post...

mirrodie
2009-02-18, 10:25 AM
Mmedford, no sweat. None of the responses IMHO were childish :borat:

It's all good.

I hope Ari keeps us posted on his choices and does a TR.

Ari707
2009-02-18, 12:42 PM
I will let you know what we pick, we are leaning to the stop in either AMS or CDG,