PDA

View Full Version : Engine Blade Test Video

PhilDernerJr
2009-02-02, 09:30 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb5_1233589947

Uh, yikes. That's got to be a very uncomfortable feeling if you're on a plane that such a thign happens on.

nikon50bigma
2009-02-02, 10:15 PM
BOOOOOM!

Derf
2009-02-03, 09:28 AM
I can go into some detail but my friend Al was the guy who started high speed photography for the blade loss tests using such equipment.

I always had questions as per why pilots would reject takeoff after V1. After asking this question I was sent a High Quality wave file of a failure of a modern high bypass engine. I was told to play it loud.... I am sitting in a gas station and pop in the CD with 2- 15 inch woofers with about 1000+ watts. After about 20 seconds of a light hum coming from my open car windows...It sounded like 40-777 jetliners crashed across the street at the exact moment! Everyone gassing their cars almost jumped into the next state! I could not believe the speakers did not get blown out of the trunk! I had lots of explaining to do with the people at the gas station....the only thing I have seen that got the same reaction is when people put a train horn in their car....everyone in the gas station was hitting the floor!!!

The reason the pilots reject the takeoff that can not be rejected is simple....when they hear it, they are SURE that they left the wing, a few tires and most of the passengers on the runway and it would not be possible for a plane in such condition for flight.

They are trained to continue but do not......they are sure the plane will not fly.

I wish I still had the Wav file (actually there were 2 different files)

I also have quite the collection of blade loss test videos as well as 4+ hours of the famous 707 fuel test crash.
Wild stuff!

Derf
2009-02-03, 09:40 AM
ON A SIDE NOTE ABOUT THAT VIDEO

that looks like a GE-90 series and there is serious issues that may surface in the future on this engine.

SOME in the engine field feel that there are serious concerns for a blade loss in this engine because the harmonic resonance going thru the aircraft from the unbalanced fan that WILL continue to windmill reguarless of the engine issue as a fan that big can not be stopped in flight. The issues are not the airframe!, the issue is that the pilots and all people on the aircraft will be seriously ill in a few minutes do to the ocilation caused by the unbalanced windmilling engine. There have been issues on big fans before but due to the large blades (and less wich is worse in this case) will make a larger inbalance.

Remember, in flight, the engine would not slow down much like here after failure. (of course the engine will slow a bit, just not like in this video as at mach .80 it will not slow much)

The big issue is not at mach .8 but at slower speed for approach.

People allot smarter than me explained this to me. Had lots of examples and explained it well. Time will prove this right or wrong as I expect to see a blade loss in a GE-90 before I die.

NYCMedic
2009-02-03, 12:49 PM
Hot Hot Hot!!!!!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=171_1231714871

moose135
2009-02-03, 01:51 PM
I also have quite the collection of blade loss test videos as well as 4+ hours of the famous 707 fuel test crash.
Wild stuff!
Believe him - I've seen a lot of it! :shock:

G-BOAD
2009-02-03, 02:46 PM
Great video Phil, thanks for posting.

Wild stuff!
Fred, where did you get 4+ hours of that crash, i only saw a few clips on youtube?

moose135
2009-02-03, 02:51 PM
Fred, where did you get 4+ hours of that crash, i only saw a few clips on youtube?
You would not believe the stuff Fred has! It was shot from about 287 different angles - on the ground, from chase planes, multiple cameras inside the aircraft...