PDA

View Full Version : A very sad day at Airliners.net

mirrodie
2009-01-29, 01:10 AM
From one of several forums at Airliners.net

It is with deep regret that we announce that the head of the site, Paulo Emanuele, was killed in a plane crash here in Santa Monica just a short while ago.

From an executive at DM:

" ... Dear Airliners Crew,

It is will the deepest sorrow that I let know Paulo died this evening in a tragic plane crash. His plane took off out of Santa Monica Airport at 5:00 PM and lost power. Paulo attempted to return to the airport, but the plane crashed on the runway. This is all we know at this time, as I hear more I will let you all know. I know many of you were dear friends with Paulo.
Paulo loved Airliners and everything it stood for.

Paulo was an amazing Pilot, an amazing photographer, an amazing friend, and an amazing father.

He will be deeply missed ... "

We are truly in shock.

http://www.ktla.com/landing_topstories/ ... eedID=1198 (http://www.ktla.com/landing_topstories/?Two-Dead-in-Plane-Crash-in-Santa-Monica=1&blockID=198373&feedID=1198)

AndrewM
2009-01-29, 04:30 AM
I was at SMO when the crash happened and had the horrific experience of witnessing the Marchetti stall and plummet into the ground. We rushed over to the crash site to see if we could help but it was apparent as soon as we arrived that there was nothing we could do.

I knew Paulo, in passing, for several years and found him to be an extremely nice guy. He owned a nightclub in Santa Monica and one night about two years ago I went over there with a friend to meet some other friends for a birthday party. When we arrived we found a line wrapping around the block and it was quite obvious that we would probably not make it inside and would miss our friends party. The friend I was with (who also knew Paulo) decided to give him a call to see if he was inside and could help us get in. I of course thought this was a bad idea as it was about midnight and I assumed that he wasn’t there and would not appreciate getting a call from two dudes he barely knew asking him to "pull strings". Well Paulo wasn't there but he told us he would call the manager on duty and that we should go to the front and give our names. We went up and sure enough were let right in but then before we even has a chance to wish the birthday girl a happy b-day he arranged for our group to have a seating area and free drinks throughout the night. Neither my friend nor I knew him all that well but he still made that extra effort. I know this is just an insignificant story but I just thought it might show in some small way what kind of...mench he was.

I know that many weren't happy with that changes to a-net, etc that Demand Media enacted but Paulo as a man was a class act and he will be missed. Ok, hope I didn't bore anyone with my story and if I did, I’m sorry. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

-Andrew

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2009-01-29, 09:00 AM
My condolences. This is horrible!

PhilDernerJr
2009-01-29, 09:33 AM
A very sad time.

I had never met him and only spoken to him by email a bit. I knew little about the man personally, but Andrew's story tells us that a man of great character was lost.

:(

mirrodie
2009-01-29, 09:45 AM
please see

www.airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net). THe home page is a memorial this morning.

PhilDernerJr
2009-01-29, 09:55 AM
hsk0T-tRwY8

That is a video of Paulo flying a Yak-52. I believe it was taken from the very aircraft that crashed.

Midnight Mike
2009-01-29, 10:09 AM
Very sad day, RIP and my condolences to any family members.

Also, that was a very classy memorial on behalf of airliners.net, very impressed...

Midnight Mike
2009-01-29, 10:11 AM
I

I know that many weren't happy with that changes to a-net, etc that Demand Media enacted but Paulo as a man was a class act and he will be missed. Ok, hope I didn't bore anyone with my story and if I did, I’m sorry. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

-Andrew

Andrew

Trust me, you did not bore us with your posting....

Delta777LR
2009-01-29, 11:53 AM
Ive never joined airliners.net, but its extremely sad to hear this news my heart goes out to his family, may he RIP and god bless his family. Im about to take a look at the memorial on Airliners.net

MarkLawrence
2009-01-29, 02:46 PM
Very sad day! The hobby has lost a great man by all accounts! Prayers go to his family.

Skymonster
2009-01-29, 04:37 PM
I met Paulo and had several good chats with him about aviation, photography and airliners.net at the Reno Air Races in 2007. He came across as a genuinely nice guy with a passion for aviation, flying and photography including video. Its very sad news, and as I'm a GA pilot with a share in an aeroplane it reminds me of our own mortality.

Andy

Derf
2009-01-29, 05:31 PM
Very sad, I wish his friends and family well in this difficult time.

Pablo M 201
2009-01-29, 07:00 PM
Aw man, this is very sad news. My deepest condolences goes out to his family and friends.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-01-29, 07:19 PM
Sad loss when something like this happens. Just reminds us all that every flight could be our last and not to take anything for granted....

Any reports on what caused the crash? I'm not familiar with the Marchetti fuel system, but I've got a friend who has a Marchetti who thinks the engine may have quit shortly after takeoff due to a lack of fuel. He says if you fill the wing pods on the wingtip and not the tanks in the wings, and then don't open a valve which allows that fuel to feed into the wing tanks into the engine, the engine will get starved and quit. Hopefully this was not the case...

stuart schechter
2009-01-29, 08:13 PM
RIP and condolences to his family.

LGA777
2009-01-29, 09:52 PM
I never met Paulo nor knew much about him sadly until his untimely death. Aside from my condolences to all who cared about him I want to add it's sounds like this dude really left his mark on those who knew him, and really lived life to it's fullest.

Andrew I am really sorry you had to witness something so tragic, as someone who has actually witnessed a crash where life was lost it is not a pleasant experience to say the least. But I am really glad you shared you and your friends experience at his club, that speaks HUGE volumes of who this guy was. I have a feeling how he treaded you and your friends was not an islolated incident.

RIP Paulo and your passenger.

LGA777

mirrodie
2009-01-30, 01:31 AM
Andrew,

I'm sick to my stomach thinking about how you must feeling, knowing him and seeing it happen.

May Paulo RIP but I also hope you are alright Andrew.

-M

ChrisW
2009-01-30, 02:30 AM
According to a report by the LA Times, the second victim has been identified.

Friends believe that the second man aboard the plane that crashed Wednesday at Santa Monica Municipal Airport was Martin Schaedel, a business development consultant for the Web company http://www.farecompare.com. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... lieve.html (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/01/friends-believe.html)

Interestingly, his professional focus in recent years was buyouts and mergers/acquisitions and he was originally from Sweden. Ironic?

RIP.