PDA

View Full Version : Jones Beach Airshow 2009

Pages : [1] 2

SCOTYDEMCO
2009-01-27, 01:26 AM
Ok folks. I'm an airshow guy, can't sleep so I figured I would start the thread off early. Please forgive me if this has been posted somewhere else. I will keep a rolling tally of performers but so far we have...

Memorial Day Weekend. May 23rd and 24th
http://www.jonesbeachairshow.com

USAF Thunderbirds
RCAF Snowbirds
Golden Knights
US Navy F-18F Super Hornet demo
A-10 East Demo (Heritage with P-51)
Warbirds Over Long Island (P-51, P-40)
American Airpower Museum
Matt Chapman
GEICO Skytypers
106th ANG demo
Sean D. Tucker
Ed Hamill
Horseman 3 ship P-51 acrobatic act :)
Bill Reesman Red Bull Mig
Kirby Chambliss
Chuck Aaron
Rob Reider

cancidas
2009-01-27, 03:33 PM
Team Oracle, featuring Sean D. Tucker will be there as well.

PhilDernerJr
2009-01-27, 03:40 PM
Date?

I think it's about time I hit a show.

moose135
2009-01-27, 03:53 PM
Memorial Day Weekend - show at the beach is Saturday, May 23 and Sunday, May 24. If you are around on Friday, most of the performers have show practice, and you can see much of the display without the crowds of Saturday and Sunday. You can also join us at FRG to catch the comings and goings as well. And yes, it's about time you get to an airshow!

Big Tim #70
2009-01-27, 04:21 PM
There are usually several hundred people around FRG watching the arrivals & departures. I usually hit the practice on Friday, the show on Sat W/the fam, & hang at the airport on Sunday with my son listening to Rob Reiner on the radio broadcast.

moose135
2009-01-27, 04:41 PM
Then you probably saw Fred and me hanging around FRG on Friday the last couple of years. Actually, we usually hang around FRG starting about Tuesday... :D

nikon50bigma
2009-01-27, 06:04 PM
I'll be there deffinatly, it was a kick @ss show last year!
Lol wouldn't it be nice to rent out a boat and watch the show from sea, it would be a nice back drop.

Gerard
2009-01-27, 08:58 PM
>Memorial Day Weekend. May 23rd and 24th.<

Geez cant wait. Another snow/ice storm forecast for tonite, temps barely above freezing for the last
MONTH or so it's nice to dream about warm weather and air shows!!!

Pablo M 201
2009-01-29, 07:19 PM
If I'm home for that weekend, I'll definately hop on the LIRR train and head over there!

nikon50bigma
2009-01-30, 09:33 PM
If I'm home for that weekend, I'll definately hop on the LIRR train and head over there!

Yea thats what I did last year on Friday for the practice show. It was like a one hour train ride out there; but after see the RAPTOR doing A REALLY LOW, HIGH SPEED FLY-BY of the runway.... it was well worth it!

SCOTYDEMCO
2009-02-03, 06:00 PM
Ok now it's official. Bill Reesman and the Red Bull Mig

Gerard
2009-02-03, 06:35 PM
Ok now it's official. Bill Reesman and the Red Bull Mig

I was going to advocate the Red Bull BO-105 CBS helicopter where pilot Chuck Aaron does incredible aerobatics then I go
to the website and the Jones Beach Airshow is listed in his schedule.
IS THIS TRUE??????? :) :) :)

Chris S
2009-02-03, 08:52 PM
Yeah, Chuck Aaron did an interview at the ICAS convention out in Vegas this past December and he said
that the Jones Beach Airshow was definitely on his 2009 schedule and he was really looking forward to it !!
GREAT NEWS for the Jones Beach Airshow !!
:borat:

Gerard
2009-02-03, 10:54 PM
Yeah, Chuck Aaron did an interview at the ICAS convention out in Vegas this past December and he said
that the Jones Beach Airshow was definitely on his 2009 schedule and he was really looking forward to it !!
GREAT NEWS for the Jones Beach Airshow !!
:borat:

Wow that is very cool. Makes me (almost) forget about this miserable weather!!!!

GrummanFan
2009-02-04, 12:49 AM
As usual, I'll be keeping tabs on the show with my blog-style website, http://www.longislandaviation.info. I'll update it soon, at some point in time when I'm not swamped with work. Definitely looking like a good lineup so far.

I didn't think I would be around for the show, since I was attempting to get an internship somewhere far away from NY this summer, but it doesn't look like that will be happening after all :( Oh well...

moose135
2009-02-07, 12:56 AM
As Chris posted in the FRG thread, the RCAF Snowbirds will be at Jones Beach!

http://www.snowbirds.dnd.ca/v2/as-sa/sch-cal-eng.asp

Gerard
2009-02-07, 11:29 AM

:D :D :D
WOW this is shaping up to be one of the best shows in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will the Snowbirds be bunking at FRG also?

Steven Holzinger
2009-02-07, 12:26 PM
Great... this changes my plans! :)

moose135
2009-02-07, 04:33 PM
Will the Snowbirds be bunking at FRG also?
We can only hope!

nikon50bigma
2009-02-07, 10:58 PM

That is freakin AWESOME!

SCOTYDEMCO
2009-02-18, 03:14 PM
F-18F Super Hornet added :)

MORS-AB-ALTO
2009-02-19, 10:11 AM
Superbug addition is good news. Now all we have to wait for is ACC to post their schedule. With the T-birds in town and the F-22 visiting last year my money is on the F-15E or A-10 East. Unfortunately, with the Snowbirds in town, I forsee the ramp being too small and overflow at JFK and/or ISP.

Nick
2009-02-19, 03:45 PM
You can bet I'll be there, either working or with my toes in the sand spectating.

moose135
2009-02-19, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately, with the Snowbirds in town, I forsee the ramp being too small and overflow at JFK and/or ISP.
I'm trying to find out what the status of the taxiway work over near the terminal is. I'm worried that if things are torn up there in May, the T-birds may decide to find somewhere else to stage out of.

Gerard
2009-02-19, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately, with the Snowbirds in town, I forsee the ramp being too small and overflow at JFK and/or ISP.
I'm trying to find out what the status of the taxiway work over near the terminal is. I'm worried that if things are torn up there in May, the T-birds may decide to find somewhere else to stage out of.

Wow good call there Moose!! That would definitely SUCK!! :(

Derf
2009-02-19, 10:30 PM
That should not be a problem...they are waiting for the temp to rise to lay the asphalt. The Taxiway between Atlantic and the terminal may not be finished, but that should not make any difference other than one taxiway for runway 1 and not 2 taxiways.

h2opunk1822
2009-02-20, 08:20 AM
What we are trying to do is have the snowbirds parked the same way as the Red Arrows were parked behind our terminal and have the t-birds go over to the terminal area. I havent heard much about anything else yet but it still is early and things change as fast as the wind.. but as i hear ill post it up

Big Tim #70
2009-02-20, 08:33 PM
If there is any overflow, lets hope it goes to ISP as JFK doesn't give you a lot of good viewing opportunities...

lijk604
2009-02-21, 08:05 AM
If there is any overflow, lets hope it goes to ISP as JFK doesn't give you a lot of good viewing opportunities...

ISP is worse. It seems open and friendly, but the SCPD does NOT like people hanging around the fences, and "rolls the equipment" immediately when someone is spotted, heaven forbid they have a camera with them. A few members here can testify to that.

Big Tim #70
2009-02-21, 01:23 PM

ISP is worse. It seems open and friendly, but the SCPD does NOT like people hanging around the fences, and "rolls the equipment" immediately when someone is spotted, heaven forbid they have a camera with them. A few members here can testify to that.

Even if you stand over on County Road 29?

Steven Holzinger
2009-02-24, 12:52 PM
It has been confirmed through Air Combat Command that the A-10 East Coast Demo Team will indeed be at Jones Beach.

Chris S
2009-02-24, 02:18 PM
Steve,
You forget to mention the approved Heritage Flight with A-10 and P-51 too !! :borat:

h2opunk1822
2009-02-25, 11:47 AM
although not confirmed yet.. the f22 is being planned as we speak!!.. i have a list of everything so far which i got at work.. looks like the snowbirds will be coming with 11 a/c and parking on our ramp where the red arrows were parked when they visited us a few months ago

Chris S
2009-02-25, 04:07 PM
Wow, that's interesting news about the F-22 possibly being at Jones Beach again,
especially since the Air Force is already sending Thunderbirds to the show.
Anyway, I'm sure if the F-22 is approved it would be based out at MacArthur again.

BTW, Do you know where the F-18F and A-10 Demo teams will be based yet ?
Also, any news on when the Snowbird is rescheduling it's visit ?

Thanks for all your help keeping us informed !! :borat:

Gerard
2009-02-25, 09:17 PM
This air show keeps getting BETTER AND BETTER!!!!!
:D :D :D :D

Big Tim #70
2009-02-26, 11:35 AM
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the Strike Eagle but if the T-Birds, A-10, and now the F-22 are there, chances are ACC isn't going to send another AF demo...

Last time the T-Birds were there a B-1B did a flyby, that would be real nice too!

moose135
2009-02-26, 01:02 PM
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the Strike Eagle but if the T-Birds, A-10, and now the F-22 are there, chances are ACC isn't going to send another AF demo...
The most recent ACC schedule (Feb 24) lists the F-15E demo at shows the three weekends prior to Jones Beach, and the two weekends following, so don't hold your breath. I remember last year, discussions about the F-22 demo said there was a limit as to how many shows per month (and/or consecutive weeks) the Raptor could perform at, due to pilot and crew limitations. If there is a similar restriction on the rest of the ACC teams, I wouldn't expect to see a Strike Eagle at the beach this year.

Derf
2009-02-26, 01:09 PM

Last time the T-Birds were there a B-1B did a flyby, that would be real nice too!
Ahhh the memories!
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160235211_cfDDh-L-1.jpg
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160235313_WPQCu-L-1.jpg
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160235377_2iKSG-L-1.jpg
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160235549_SMtBU-L-1.jpg
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160235420_GDGHo-L-1.jpg
THAT WAS LOUD....RIGHT MOOSE???

Derf
2009-02-26, 01:13 PM
Hey Moose, a beer says the 22! we on?

moose135
2009-02-26, 02:24 PM
THAT WAS LOUD....RIGHT MOOSE???

What was that Fred? I couldn't hear you with that big, noisy jet flying over. :D

Derf
2009-02-26, 02:29 PM
WHAT????

Nick
2009-02-26, 05:47 PM
About the B-1 flyby, I will always remember how it made the kids around us cry. :borat:

Gerard
2009-02-26, 06:57 PM
About the B-1 flyby, I will always remember how it made the kids around us cry. :borat:

Set off all the car alarms in the parking lots!!

Big Tim #70
2009-02-27, 12:36 AM
I was living on the approach to FRG and remember the car alarms in my neighborhood going off. I was like WTF is that? Ran out back just in time to see the BONE flying low & dirty. Amazing bird.

SCOTYDEMCO
2009-03-03, 03:51 PM
Not as loud as a Bone but more aerobatic. Mr. Matt Chapman has been officially added. :)

Fly2e
2009-03-19, 08:17 AM
Does anybody know the schedule for KFRG that weekend in terms of practice, arrivals, etc... ?
Thanks,
Dave

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-21, 12:07 PM
Does anybody know the schedule for KFRG that weekend in terms of practice, arrivals, etc... ?
Thanks,
Dave
No, not at this time.......we usually find out a day or two before they come, in the worst cases hours before they come, but all operations with the planes on air show week based on previous years happens on weds,thurs,friday (this year 20-23). But some little performers come on the saturday or sunday before the air show. We do know that a hurricane hunter c-130 will come may 5 to KFRG.

Gerard
2009-03-21, 08:36 PM
We do know that a hurricane hunter c-130 will come may 5 to KFRG.[/quote]

Nice, keep us updated on that arrival.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-22, 10:05 AM
We do know that a hurricane hunter c-130 will come may 5 to KFRG.

Nice, keep us updated on that arrival.[/quote]
I do know someone who works at sheltair and if we cant get an arrival time I will ask him, but always check longislandaviation.info for updates....

Also I spotted a Geico Skytyper today, (I dont know what number) But he was heading towards Jones Beach, I guess we will see them roaming the the sky soon...... If you are around KFRG see if you see any coming in or out!

fk6065
2009-03-22, 04:42 PM
The week of the show between here and Airshowbuzz.com you should have no trouble finding out information. There are some very informed people on here, thank goodness!

As far as Republic on the days of the airshow you just figure out the airport times based on the show schedule down atthe beach.

Delta777LR
2009-03-27, 03:56 PM
Well, for me, it might be a bit of a long travel from the Bronx, but I think im gonna chance it to go to the show. Im interested in coming to see this display, But im might use mass transit, this is going to be my first trip to JB. Can any LIRR fares to get there and where to get off at?

Thanks

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-27, 04:12 PM
Well, for me, it might be a bit of a long travel from the Bronx, but I think im gonna chance it to go to the show. Im interested in coming to see this display, But im might use mass transit, this is going to be my first trip to JB. Can any LIRR fares to get there and where to get off at?

Thanks
You are going to have to leave VERY early.

Delta777LR
2009-03-27, 04:14 PM

Thanks

Im planning to maybe leave around 9 or 10AM

Matt Molnar
2009-03-27, 04:53 PM

Thanks
There is a special Jones Beach ticket, round trip fare is $15 from Penn Station or Brooklyn, $11 from Jamaica which includes train fare to/from Freeport and a shuttle bus to/from the beach.

Gerard
2009-03-27, 05:37 PM

Thanks

Show usually STARTS at 10AM so you might want to leave a wee bit earlier.

Matt Molnar
2009-03-27, 06:38 PM
Show usually STARTS at 10AM so you might want to leave a wee bit earlier.
I'd estimate a solid 3 hour trip from the Bronx.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-27, 07:14 PM

Thanks

I live about a good 20 to 30 mins away from the beach and I get there by 6:45 am and the first two lots start filling up.....They estimate 100,000 people a day.....you should get there very early....on the sunday show Rob was telling people over the readio (they were streaming the airshow over a local AM station) not to come because it was full !

EDIT-Note, and if you dont have a beach pass you have to buy one at one of the bath houses and its time consuming also

Matt Molnar
2009-03-27, 07:29 PM
Note: You only need a pass if you're driving.

Derf
2009-03-27, 07:34 PM
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/302320483_Nt4bT-L.jpg
YOU NEED TO GET THERE EARLY (last year) No fee if early

moose135
2009-03-27, 07:48 PM
EDIT-Note, and if you dont have a beach pass you have to buy one at one of the bath houses and its time consuming also
That's only for a season pass for your car. If you are driving in for the day, you pay the fee ($8, I think) at the toll booth on Wantagh Parkway and get a ticket for the parking lot.

wunaladreamin
2009-03-27, 07:54 PM
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/302320483_Nt4bT-L.jpg
YOU NEED TO GET THERE EARLY (last year) No fee if early
Fred...click it or ticket! :lol:

Derf
2009-03-27, 08:01 PM
...YOU NEED TO GET THERE EARLY (last year) No fee if early
Fred...click it or ticket! :lol:
Ticket! :lol:

show up with me and get free parking before 6 (I think)
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/305882584_SFocs-L.jpg

fk6065
2009-03-27, 10:12 PM
For what it is worth if you have a car or access to one it would be much easier to drive Jones Beach. If you take mass transit from the Bronx it would involve either the subway or a bus down to Penn Station. Then the LIRR out to Freeport (Holiday schedule, usually every hour) then a MSBA Bus shuttle down to the beach. I would say 3 1/2 to 4 hour trip.

Even if you are as far north as Riverdale you could leave at 7:00AM and be at Jones Beach by 8:00AM-8:15AM driving in regular weekend traffic.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-28, 08:15 AM
That's only for a season pass for your car. If you are driving in for the day, you pay the fee ($8, I think) at the toll booth on Wantagh Parkway and get a ticket for the parking lot.
I dont think the wantaugh parkway charges any tolls (99.9% sure).B ut when I went to the airshow in 07' I got there at 6:30AM and I went up to the both and they guy said I have to get a ticket, so I had to turn around and buy one....you cant just go to the parking both and give the guy 8 bucks (well from 07 at least). That why I just get the season pass its good for the whole summer and makes airshow day ten times easier.

Derf
2009-03-28, 10:08 AM
or you can just stay out all night after History Under the Stars and catch a ride to the beach at like 4am. Moose says it best, you can sleep when your dead.

Gerard
2009-03-28, 03:51 PM
[quote="Fighting_falcon_51"][quote="moose135"][quote="Fighting_falcon_51"]EDIT-Note, and if you dont have a beach pass you have to
I dont think the wantaugh parkway charges any tolls (99.9% sure).B ut when I went to the airshow in 07' I got there at 6:30AM and I went up to the both and they guy said I have to get a ticket, so I had to turn around and buy one....you cant just go to the parking both and give the guy 8 bucks (well from 07 at least).

Last couple of years I paid directly at the parking lot. One thing is for sure I will leave much earlier this year than last. Got caught in a
nasty jam on the Wantagh last year. Watched the warbirds flyover as I drove towards JB.

Gerard
2009-03-28, 05:51 PM
[quote="Fighting_falcon_51"][quote="Delta777LR"][quote="Fighting_falcon_51"][quote="Delta777LR"]Well, for me, it might be a bit of a
I live about a good 20 to 30 mins away from the beach and I get there by 6:45 am and the first two lots start filling up.....They estimate 100,000 people a day.....you should get there very early....on the sunday show Rob was telling people over the readio (they were streaming the airshow over a local AM station) not to come because it was full !

Of course if they have the Friday dress rehearsal you can avoid all of that. :)

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-28, 11:32 PM
Last couple of years I paid directly at the parking lot. One thing is for sure I will leave much earlier this year than last. Got caught in a
nasty jam on the Wantagh last year. Watched the warbirds flyover as I drove towards JB.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
What lot? And yes you should leave early they are still doing construction and I can imagine those delays could get quite nasty.

moose135
2009-03-29, 09:44 AM
Not that I would recommend it to others, but the last two years, I rolled up to the toll booth at around 9am (I paid there, not at the parking lot), had about 3 cars in line ahead of me waiting to pay, and parked in the lot across from the water tower (not the beach side) - the lot was less than 1/2 full when I got there. I found a spot on the boardwalk at show center and shot from there.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-29, 09:51 AM
Not that I would recommend it to others, but the last two years, I rolled up to the toll booth at around 9am (I paid there, not at the parking lot), had about 3 cars in line ahead of me waiting to pay, and parked in the lot across from the water tower (not the beach side) - the lot was less than 1/2 full when I got there. I found a spot on the boardwalk at show center and shot from there.
Yeah, also if worse comes to worse people could park in the theater parking lot. And I forgot about the toll booth.

Derf
2009-03-29, 10:14 AM
they usually shut down the beach and have 3+miles of backups as of around 10:30-11pm...I would not recommend what Moose did, even tho it was probably the best airshow luck you will hear. I hear countless other storys of people who had to turn around.

If you are so worried about it...you should NOT go sat or sun but you should go to the practice on Friday where the beach is completely empty.

Gerard
2009-03-29, 11:25 AM
>What lot?<

The Jones Beach Theater lot. Parked in the back near the FD/PD Staging Area.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-29, 11:25 AM
they usually shut down the beach and have 3+miles of backups as of around 10:30-11pm...I would not recommend what Moose did, even tho it was probably the best airshow luck you will hear. I hear countless other storys of people who had to turn around.

If you are so worried about it...you should NOT go sat or sun but you should go to the practice on Friday where the beach is completely empty.
Yeah that was pure luck.

fk6065
2009-03-29, 01:16 PM
If I remember correctly the T-Birds often practice on Thursday and take Friday off depending on the venue. Either way the practice shows are the way to go if you can get there to watch & shoot.

Derf
2009-03-29, 01:39 PM
If I remember correctly the T-Birds often practice on Thirsday and take Friday off depending onthe venue. Either way the practice shows are the way to go if you can get there to watxh & shoot.

sorry, your a little off. Practice is never on Thurs but Friday and is the only Practice. It has been that way for the last 3 years. I know because I was always on the field on Thurs and Fri. I went with a co-worker to the beach on Friday and had a blast.

mmedford
2009-03-29, 03:16 PM
Woohoo Thunderbirds this year...

and they always park at JFK...score!

I need to remember to take Friday off...and catch the practice..

Derf
2009-03-29, 03:22 PM
I think thursday was the photo flight around NYC, that may be what you were thinking of

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-29, 03:32 PM

No, they park at KFRG.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-29, 03:34 PM
If I remember correctly the T-Birds often practice on Thirsday and take Friday off depending onthe venue. Either way the practice shows are the way to go if you can get there to watxh & shoot.

sorry, your a little off. Practice is never on Thurs but Friday and is the only Practice. It has been that way for the last 3 years. I know because I was always on the field on Thurs and Fri. I went with a co-worker to the beach on Friday and had a blast.
Yeah last year Blue Angel #7 came on Thursday for media things and such, The rest of them came friday and practiced. Didnt the T-birds come on Tuesday in 07?

mmedford
2009-03-29, 03:36 PM

No, they park at KFRG.

No last year the blues parked at FRG, year before birds were at JFK...

got pics of the birds near the tank farm...

Derf
2009-03-29, 03:41 PM
wrong...last year the Blues were at Farmingdale and the Year before Thunderbird were at farmingdale

Here is a pic I took :borat:
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/195847632_ZG8tM-L.jpg
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/159106044_AyhKp-L-1.jpg

2005 they were at JFK Only because of the long runway, two years ago they had an arrestor system
installed which allowed them to go to Farmingdale
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/155610098_dnkjF-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/155610886_Rggi6-L-1.jpg

mmedford
2009-03-29, 04:05 PM
then what year were the birds at JFK...

I can't be that crazy....

Derf
2009-03-29, 04:14 PM
then what year were the birds at JFK...

I can't be that crazy....
2005 they were at JFK and no, I do not think you are crazy, and
I would know....crazy is my middle name :wink: :D

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-29, 07:35 PM

No, they park at KFRG.

No last year the blues parked at FRG, year before birds were at JFK...

got pics of the birds near the tank farm...
They were at KFRG I was there, I think they went to JFK the first year.

fk6065
2009-03-29, 08:11 PM
Generally the Thunderbirds transit to their next show on Tuesday (the week of the show) and do media flights on Wednesday. They will then practice two times on Thursday once in the AM and once in the PM. They will not fly on the Friday before the show. Again this is from past experience and information from the Thunderbirds. This is generally the schedule they follow.

In 2005 the Thunderbirds did indeed stay at JFK. In 2007 they stayed at Republic and followed the above schedule. They arrived Tuesday 5/22. They flew 2 practices on Thursday 5/24 at Jones Beach with the Bones arrival and practice mixed in between. Then the A-10 made a surprise fly by. They took Friday off while all the rest of the performers did a full show practice.

As for the Blue Angles they usually follow this schedule. The # 7 plane comes in on the Wednesday before the show. The team transits in to the show site on Thursday along with Fat Albert. They then practice Thursday and Friday with media flights mixed in along the way.

This is what they did last year. They, The Blues, came in Thursday morning in the rain and the afternoon practice wasn't a sure thing due to weather. But the skies cleared and the Blues ran their Demo practice Thursday afternoon. They also participated in the full show practice on Friday.

The team also flew over Commander Mannix's old grammar school in Lindenhurst but I forget which day.

Now this is all from past experience and things may change this year.

Derf
2009-03-29, 08:17 PM
Very nice summary....spot on! :borat:

Edit for picture....This thread needs more pictures

I should date these.....5-24-2007
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160238971_jstRd-L-1.jpg

fk6065
2009-03-29, 08:28 PM
Outstanding! Yes you are right it needs more pictures. I'd love to have your access to the field. With that kind of access and your fantastic photographic ability it is always a pleasure to look at your shots.

fk6065
2009-03-29, 08:53 PM
A few from 2007
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/501471371_qwBXZ-O.jpg
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/501471302_R6y2c-O.jpg
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/501471287_jDEqi-L.jpg
And the view the rest of us have
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/501471289_SZeZW-O.jpg

Derf
2009-03-29, 09:16 PM
A few from 2007
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/501471371_qwBXZ-O.jpg

I got him slamming into the runway hard!
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/155628086_MqtQB-L-1.jpg

I loved the guy waking towards the plane feeling around his pockets going
where are my keys???
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/155629563_gGaRm-L-1.jpg

and then there is his skid marks from the hard landing that destroyed some of the
Thunderbirds equipment! Look Close....I never new the mains have 3 rows of tires
until I edited this pic
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/195853835_ybJpm-X3-1.jpg

moose135
2009-03-29, 09:33 PM
Edit for picture....This thread needs more pictures
If you insist, Fred...these are all from 2007:

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/155305613_FiYM9-L-1.jpg

Fred at work
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/155790101_zqtym-L-1.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/155305711_Wa4aM-L-1.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/155305479_jfDzV-L-1.jpg

And the shot of a lifetime...
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/287854382_Nv6Lf-L-1.jpg

fk6065
2009-03-29, 09:44 PM
The F-86 shot is wonderful! Great angle.

Derf
2009-03-29, 09:56 PM
I will see your Breaking pass Moose
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160242933_RhoqL-L-1.jpg
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/159264192_iQDTb-L-1.jpg

and raise you Samantha Weeks
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160253332_jPZvk-L-1.jpg

Not my shot, but in case you do not recognize her
http://www.f-16.net/modules/Gallery2/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=260960&g2_serialNumber=2

fk6065
2009-03-30, 01:02 PM
OK a few more, turning out to be a fun thread all of a sudden. Can't wait for the show this year.
Landing, got a little loud as she passed over head.
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/502034448_ZsdV2-L.jpg
Touchdown
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/502034505_68NUm-L.jpg
Taking off
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/502034428_xvhnA-L.jpg
And one more
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/502034446_8BzAH-L.jpg

cancidas
2009-03-30, 03:17 PM
http://www.f-16.net/modules/Gallery2/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=260960&g2_serialNumber=2
nice shot of the Major fred.

Derf
2009-03-30, 03:40 PM
That was not mine!!! The first one in the aircraft was her, and that was mine.

nikon50bigma
2009-03-30, 04:47 PM
Nice shots guys.
Fred it looks like that 80-400VR is working pretty well for ya!

lijk604
2009-03-31, 08:16 AM
Nice shots guys.
Fred it looks like that 80-400VR is working pretty well for ya!

How dare you! Fred shoots Canon. :wink:

fk6065
2009-03-31, 08:58 AM
Wrong Fred, he was refering to me fk6065, the much less talented Nikon shooter who happens to share the same first name.

Derf
2009-03-31, 10:03 AM
HEY!!!! NEVER TALK DOWN ABOUT A FRED! :borat:

Derf
2009-03-31, 10:20 AM
Here, I will spam the hell out of this thread!
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/159181162_9WgnX-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160239087_J6gzn-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160244146_RfmLF-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160235025_Q2Tgc-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160268546_hLhWi-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/159104899_ySrJP-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/159106636_kRevD-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/159108003_iTXe8-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160237420_L2t6D-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160238203_u3L9E-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/155607586_P44g7-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/155611507_qDpGB-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/155611272_YU9VX-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/157428826_hLtx2-L-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/157426593_XRRz6-L-1.jpg

***all above shots are from the 2007 airshow***

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-03-31, 03:59 PM
who did the two C-130 belong to? Its hard to keep track.

Steven Holzinger
2009-03-31, 04:09 PM
They look like they're from the Rhode Island ANG.

moose135
2009-03-31, 04:22 PM

Yes, in 2007, they were from the RI ANG:

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/155305678_bFUzn-L-2.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160235025_Q2Tgc-L-1.jpg
Rejected - Parts of Aircraft Cut Off

cancidas
2009-03-31, 04:49 PM
[quote="Derf"]http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/160235025_Q2Tgc-L-1.jpg
fred, that's a nice shot of Sean

USAF Pilot 07
2009-03-31, 04:58 PM

Yes, in 2007, they were from the RI ANG:

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/155305678_bFUzn-L-2.jpg

J-Model! The only "cool" C-130 out there (besides the WC's of course)

USAF Pilot 07
2009-03-31, 05:00 PM
nice shot of the Major fred.

Too bad that pointy nose airplane brings down her "coolness" factor so much....

Nick
2009-03-31, 11:46 PM
I wonder if the 'Birds will be flying their Block 52 Vipers this season. And in regards to the " cool " Hercs ", what about the AC's.. I walked to my b-hut many a night listening to them firing over the range. It was unmistakable!

moose135
2009-03-31, 11:59 PM
Yes they are, and they have made some changes to the show to use that extra thrust. From the Air Force Times (http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/03/airforce_thunderbirds_031709/)

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — Get ready for the Thunderbirds to pull out all the stops this year with never-done-before maneuvers guaranteed to be make crowds “ohh” and “ahh” even more.

The Thunderbirds — the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron is the team’s official name — have newer, more powerful Block 52 F-16s, letting them add a loop on takeoff and spice up their solo acts. A show March 21 at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., starts the squadron’s 2009 season, described by the commander and lead pilot as the freshest since the early 1980s.

“Our show has been fairly stagnant for quite a few years,” Lt. Col. Greg “Charger” Thomas said. “The new aircraft that we’re flying this year are going to bring a new look to the Thunderbirds.”

The 11 Block 52 F-16s — the same flown by most of the operational Air Force — replace Block 32s and come from Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho. Their average age: 15 years.

A Block 52 has updated digital avionics, sturdier landing gear and the Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-229 engine, which nets about 2,000 pounds more thrust than the nearly 24,000 pounds offered by the Block 32’s P&W F100-PW220.

The extra engine power allows the Thunderbirds to do their most high-profile new maneuver, a four aircraft, diamond-formation loop immediately out of takeoff.

A loop on takeoff “has never been done before on the Thunderbirds,” Thomas said. Because the planes fly at a slower speed on takeoff, the pilots need the additional thrust to start the loop. Once in the loop, though, the pilots finish the stunt much as they do the other loops in the show. “It’s very, very natural and very, very comfortable,” he said.

For much of the show, two solo pilots fly separate from the diamond — and they, too, have new maneuvers. Some of the solo maneuvers will be replaced by more spectacular opposing maneuvers in which the two solo aircraft fly at each other on an apparent collision course before narrowly missing.

USAF Pilot 07
2009-04-01, 01:02 AM
And in regards to the " cool " Hercs ", what about the AC's.. I walked to my b-hut many a night listening to them firing over the range. It was unmistakable!

Yea I guess ACs are pretty cool too.... ;)

Nick
2009-04-02, 08:02 AM
Cool, a new T-Bird demo! Can't wait.. :borat:

MORS-AB-ALTO
2009-04-03, 09:34 AM
Sir Spam-a-lot here with some T-bird shots around Rebulic from their last visit....

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/MORSABALTO/REPUBLIC%202007/T-BIRD5SHIPLAND.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/MORSABALTO/REPUBLIC%202007/T-BIRD5TO.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/MORSABALTO/REPUBLIC%202007/tbirdhdland.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/MORSABALTO/REPUBLIC%202007/T-BIRDTOROCK.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/MORSABALTO/REPUBLIC%202007/T-BIRDSWAP.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/MORSABALTO/REPUBLIC%202007/tbirdland.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/MORSABALTO/REPUBLIC%202007/T-BIRDHEADONBLUR.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/MORSABALTO/REPUBLIC%202007/T-BIRD2LAND.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/MORSABALTO/REPUBLIC%202007/T-BIRDREAR-1.jpg

nikon50bigma
2009-04-04, 06:47 PM
Wow great set!
Where were you when you took that first photo of all the T-birds on final?
By the Dave and Buster's?

MORS-AB-ALTO
2009-04-05, 01:10 PM
For the first shot I was opposite the patio store on Route 110 on my 6ft ladder for a clear view over the fence. I try to move around the airport during the day to get the best light and usually shot from about 10 locations during Memorial Day Weekend.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-05, 08:34 PM
For the first shot I was opposite the patio store on Route 110 on my 6ft ladder for a clear view over the fence. I try to move around the airport during the day to get the best light and usually shot from about 10 locations during Memorial Day Weekend.
Wait I think Ive seen you before, do you usually shoot where the arrows are on new highway.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-06, 04:59 PM
Since the tragic death of the warbirds pilot will there still be a P-40?

moose135
2009-04-06, 05:10 PM
The Airpower Museum owns a P-40 which is used in shows, but obviously the P-40 Bob was flying was destroyed in the crash.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-06, 05:53 PM
The Airpower Museum owns a P-40 which is used in shows, but obviously the P-40 Bob was flying was destroyed in the crash.
Oh, he was flying a different P-41, and not the one they use in the shows? I wonder if they can get a replacement in time, I doubt they will do that show in april.

moose135
2009-04-06, 06:58 PM
[quote="Fighting_falcon_51":n5w9mwgg]Since the tragic death of the warbirds pilot will there still be a P-40?
Oh, he was flying a different P-41, and not the one they use in the shows? I wonder if they can get a replacement in time, I doubt they will do that show in april.[/quote:n5w9mwgg]
There were two different P-40s based on Long Island, both of which participate in local air shows.

"The Jacky C" is owned by the American Airpower Museum, and is based at the museum at Republic. It is in a green/brown camouflage scheme, with a Flying Tigers emblem on the fuselage:

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/302731992_vTvUS-L-2.jpg

Warbirds Over Long Island also owned a P-40. It was painted in overall OD green, in the markings of Col. Robert Scott (of "God is My Copilot" fame). This is the aircraft Bob Baranaskas normally flew, and was the one he was flying when he crashed Sunday:

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/300888503_2AYmh-L-2.jpg

GrummanFan
2009-04-06, 07:02 PM
The American Airpower Museum owns several of their own flightworthy warbirds, such as a C-47, P-47, Avenger, and a P-40. Warbirds Over Long Island owns their own separate aircraft, which included their own P-40. So, we will still see the AAM birds, but it is way to early to even speculate who/what else we will see in the air.

Though, we should also be seeing another P-51 in for the Heritage Flight.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-06, 08:37 PM
The American Airpower Museum owns several of their own flightworthy warbirds, such as a C-47, P-47, Avenger, and a P-40. Warbirds Over Long Island owns their own separate aircraft, which included their own P-40. So, we will still see the AAM birds, but it is way to early to even speculate who/what else we will see in the air.

Though, we should also be seeing another P-51 in for the Heritage Flight.
We are having a Heritage flight?

moose135
2009-04-07, 12:31 AM
Yes, A-10/P-51

Big Tim #70
2009-04-07, 06:36 AM
It would be a nice touch if they could fly the "missing man" formation for Bob during the airshow.

I've seen the Warbirds P-40 several times over Brookhaven. It was a beautiful aircraft and Bob flew her so gracefully. They'll be missed.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-07, 06:57 PM
Yes, A-10/P-51
Oh, Awesome!

moose135
2009-04-07, 07:24 PM
It would be a nice touch if they could fly the "missing man" formation for Bob during the airshow.
I wouldn't expect it out of the Heritage Flight or Thunderbirds - the Air Force has pretty strict guidelines about flying a Missing Man formation. Now, if the Skytypers or AAM aircraft performed one, I wouldn't be surprised.

Big Tim #70
2009-04-07, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't expect it out of the Heritage Flight or Thunderbirds - the Air Force has pretty strict guidelines about flying a Missing Man formation. Now, if the Skytypers or AAM aircraft performed one, I wouldn't be surprised.

Actually, I was thinking of the Horseman with Chris flying in formation. I can't think of a nicer tribute than a formation of P-51's.

A nice touch for a very respected Long Island Avaitor.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-07, 08:55 PM
I doubt the Thunderbirds would fly the missing man formation but if anyone was going to I put my money on the skytypers.

Steven Holzinger
2009-04-08, 08:44 AM
My money is on the warbird flight - would probably expect the AAM P-40, P-47, and FG-1D and WoLI's P-51 participating in the formation.

I'll ask Jim Beasley or Ed Shipley about the Horsemen idea...

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-08, 01:02 PM
My money is on the warbird flight - would probably expect the AAM P-40, P-47, and FG-1D and WoLI's P-51 participating in the formation.

I'll ask Jim Beasley or Ed Shipley about the Horsemen idea...
If I am at the AAM ill try to find out and see if they are doing anything.

Derf
2009-04-08, 07:35 PM
there will not be any answer to that for a while....that would probably be ironed out 2 weeks before the airshow.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-09, 09:38 AM
there will not be any answer to that for a while....that would probably be ironed out 2 weeks before the airshow.
Yeah your probably right, they usually always give out the info at the last minute.

Fly2e
2009-04-15, 09:33 AM
Hello all,
I have never gotten to see the Airshow due to me being away every single memorial day weekend since they started. :roll:
I usually leave the Wednesday before and return late Monday due to seeing my in-laws in Cape Cod (tradition).
This is the first year i will be home memorial day weekend and wouldn't luck have it, My daughter's 1st Communion is Saturday and I have a wedding to go to Sunday. So both days are literally a bust. What I am excited about is that I will be around this time for the week before the show.
I was wondering if somebody may post a quick "schedule" of what might be happening the week before. After reading through this thread, is this quote basically still the same "unofficial schedule"?

we usually find out a day or two before they come, in the worst cases hours before they come, but all operations with the planes on air show week based on previous years happens on weds,Thurs,Friday (this year 20-23). But some little performers come on the Saturday or Sunday before the air show. We do know that a hurricane hunter c-130 will come may 5 to KFRG.

I am looking to get over to KFRG to shoot but really don't know when aircraft are planned to arrive. Just looking to get a "condensed version" of what any of you might know in reference to anything happening at KFRG the week before memorial Weekend. Any info would be great. I appreciate your time and thanks!

Dave

GrummanFan
2009-04-15, 12:26 PM
As the show date gets closer, keep an eye on my daily schedule at http://www.freewebs.com/nyairshow/jonesbeachairshow.htm. I'll be keeping a close eye out for the scheduled arrival and departure times of the performers, and will try to post everything in that daily schedule. And, if anyone finds out info before I do, I would appreciate an email so I can update as quickly as possible.

Sm0otHockeySpeeD
2009-04-15, 12:38 PM
Hey everyone, new user here from Flushing, Queens. My name is Brian, 30 years old and if there's one thing I'm not new to, it's airshows.

I will be there for the Saturday/Sunday show barring any inclement weather and after reading through this entire thread I'd like to ask someone with knowledge of the practice for Friday to sort of "show me" all the spots to get some good video, photo's etc. I won't get in the way, I promise hehe.

Judging by the posts it's either at the Beach itself or the Farmingdale airport correct?? I'm assuming that FRG is the airport code.

I've been itchin' for some jet noise since I left Homestead, FL. After 8 months there for surgery, and loving all the F-16, F-15 action, coming back home to strictly commercial aircraft has left a bit of a void (Although those MD-80's come close on cloudy days)

Actually, I did get to catch some video of the 4 f/a-18's for the Flyby of the new Mets Stadium. They flew right over my building and I was on the roof.

Anyhow, time for a show. I went to Jones in 07 but missed last years F-22 Demo due to being in Florida. I'm praying for them this year but I doubt it.

And thanks to all in advance who show me a warm welcome to the forum! However, I do need to brush up on some of this Aviation "lingo" you guys speak as I'm still new to this :D

However...I always search!!

Take care__Brian

Fly2e
2009-04-15, 01:06 PM
Hello Brian,
The actual airshow is over Jones Beach.
http://www.jonesbeachairshow.com/gallery.html

Many of the performers arrive and set up camp at republic Airport in Farmingdale, NY. (KFRG).
It is a great chance to take pictures of the aircraft before the show.
http://www.republicairport.net/

Republic Airport is also the home of the American Airpower Museum.
http://www.americanairpowermuseum.com/W ... Index.aspx (http://www.americanairpowermuseum.com/Website/Index.aspx)

Dave

Sm0otHockeySpeeD
2009-04-15, 01:41 PM
WOW...now I just saw the same 4 F/-18's take off at La Guardia and fly over my house and head towards the Bronx. They must be practicing their pattern for tomorrow's Yankees home opener.

OMG it's soooo much louder here in the city as opposed to Florida. I would imagine that it is because the sound has so many more things to bounce off of. Jeez I love those Hornets!

Anyone else in Queens, Bronx see/hear them??

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-15, 02:10 PM
Hey Dan, did you get anymore info on the C-130 yet?

Also here is the times for KFRG 2008 ( All credit goes to Dan)

Sunday, May 17th

Monday, May 18th

Tuesday, May 19th

Wednesday, May 20th
Thunderbird #8 Arrives (Time TBD)

Thursday, May 21st
Thunderbird C-17 Support Aircraft Arrives (~2:00pm)
Thunderbirds Arrive (~3:00pm)

Friday, May 22nd
Practice Airshow at Jones Beach (10:00am - 3:00pm)

Saturday, May 23rd
Air Show at Jones Beach (10:00am - 3:00pm)

Sunday, May 24th
Air Show at Jones Beach (10:00am - 3:00pm)

Monday, May 25th

GrummanFan
2009-04-15, 02:56 PM
Keep in mind, those times are tentative, and are based on other shows and the Thunderbird's normal routine. But I believe they are a damn good approximation.

Gerard
2009-04-15, 06:21 PM
>Friday, May 22nd
Practice Airshow at Jones Beach (10:00am - 3:00pm)<

Someone mentioned that the Thunderbirds do not participate in the practice airshow.
Is that true?

fk6065
2009-04-15, 08:18 PM
>Friday, May 22nd
Practice Airshow at Jones Beach (10:00am - 3:00pm)<

Someone mentioned that the Thunderbirds do not participate in the practice airshow.
Is that true?

Yes that was me. The last time the T-Birds were here they did not practice on Friday. They went up 2x on Thursday.

I have no idea of their schedule, it is a little early. But in the past, and this very well may have changed, the team usually transits to the show site on Tuesday, go over details on Wednesday, do media flights, etc and fly 2 practices on Thursday, and take Friday off.

This was the teams routine in the past, and as I mentioned it may have changed. I am sure with everybody on here there will be plenty of notice when "everyone" starts to fly in to Republic.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-15, 09:16 PM
Keep in mind, those times are tentative, and are based on other shows and the Thunderbird's normal routine. But I believe they are a damn good approximation.
Thats how it was in 07'.....we will find more info closer to the show date I would imagine.....anyone here work for sheltair? Could you send us some times.

h2opunk1822
2009-04-15, 11:40 PM
well i used to work for em.. but my g/f still does.. so i can try to get them.. but as for them giving it to me.. ehhhhh went out with a bang so thats probally out of the question.. ill ask her tomorrow and see what i can pull for everyone.

Sm0otHockeySpeeD
2009-04-16, 09:32 AM
Any LaGuardia employee's on here that can give me a heads up as to when the F-18's will be taking off for today's Yankee game??

Yesterday they took off at 13:20. I have a scanner as well and I'm listening to 118.7000. Still, there's a bit too much static.

It would be greatly appreciated.

-Brian

moose135
2009-04-16, 10:46 AM
The game starts at 1:05pm, and they should fly over just before game time (right after the anthem) so I would suspect they will launch sometime around 12 or 12:30.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-04-16, 11:30 AM
well i used to work for em.. but my g/f still does.. so i can try to get them.. but as for them giving it to me.. ehhhhh went out with a bang so thats probally out of the question.. ill ask her tomorrow and see what i can pull for everyone.
Ok thanks, I know someone that works there also maybe I will see if I can get any info.

Sm0otHockeySpeeD
2009-04-16, 01:39 PM
Well...it was four F-16's and they sure as hell didn't take off from Laguardia. Must have been JFK.

I saw them absolutely zooming right over the Whitestone bridge. Oh well...ya win some ya lose some.

See you guys at the show!

SCOTYDEMCO
2009-04-16, 03:35 PM
There will be something for Bob at the show.

Another month or so now.

Derf
2009-04-16, 04:07 PM
I know that they would do something, the airshow guys really liked interacting with Bob and Chris.

Here is you in the Back of the P-51
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/196093761_ZX7pR-L.jpg
Goodtimes 8)

USAF Pilot 07
2009-04-16, 05:35 PM
Well...it was four F-16's and they sure as hell didn't take off from Laguardia. Must have been JFK.

Probably not - The Air Force is too cheap to send 4 people TDY to a place like NYC (unless they stayed in a South Bronx motel all crammed into one room!).
They're probably from Hill in Utah, showed up there at 4AM, took off at 7, hit up three tankers on the way out here, did the flyover, and then hit up 3 tankers on the way back out there... Sending 4 people TDY to NYC and paying them per diem for 2 days is in no way an acceptable AF expense; but... spending tens of thousands of dollars to launch tankers to get the fighters out here to support the flyover, well that's money well spent because it's "training" dollars!
I kid, I kid (but seriously, it wouldn't surprise me)...

In all honesty, I don't know where they were out of, and hopefully they did get to stay in and spend some time in the city!

SCOTYDEMCO
2009-04-16, 05:51 PM
Hey Fred. Look at how small my head is, lol. Good times indeed.

I wouldn't doubt the above about the 16's either. Maybe they were out of AC or VT? Hpefully someone will let us know. I missed everything in my office today, nice weather too.

Gerard
2009-04-16, 08:04 PM

I wouldn't doubt the above about the 16's either. Maybe they were out of AC or VT? Hpefully someone will let us know. I missed everything in my office today, nice weather too.

They were from the 174th Fighter Group out of Syracuse, NY so they probably just flew down from Syracuse then back home.
Just watched it on my DVR and they flew over about 1PM. YES had a shot coming over the stadium from field level then one
from the blimp. Blimp also had a cool shot of the stadium and you could see one of the PD Koalas flying right under them and over
the stadium.

MORS-AB-ALTO
2009-04-16, 09:03 PM
Hope anyone who saw the 174th F-16's soaked it up because they're giving them up for the Predator this year.

http://www.174fw.ang.af.mil/news/story. ... 789&page=1 (http://www.174fw.ang.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123144789&page=1)

MORS-AB-ALTO
2009-04-16, 09:09 PM

I've gotta look for some new company along the fence because you've spent too much time in the air the past 2 years! :lol:

Sm0otHockeySpeeD
2009-04-16, 11:35 PM
Hope anyone who saw the 174th F-16's soaked it up because they're giving them up for the Predator this year.

http://www.174fw.ang.af.mil/news/story. ... 789&page=1 (http://www.174fw.ang.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123144789&page=1)

That SUCKS!! The F-16 is definitely one of the most recognizable fighters of all time. Definitely one of the coolest looking as well.

I got a quick video of them zoomed at about 12X and they still look small as hell. They are absolutely moving though. They must have been behind schedule or something.

Anyhow, I did hear someone on the scanner tell the Tower at LGA "Be advised you have the Air Force on the right" and air traffic stopped (There was an A320 ready for takeoff waiting for more than 10 minutes). That's when I heard them and saw them absolutely smoke through the Whitestone Bridge.

If there were any fans of Aviation on that bridge, they must have been going crazy because it had to be SO loud. Everybody else probably crapped their pants. LoL

I swear, they flew within the lowest "allowable" point of the Suspension Towers of the Bridge. It was pretty sick. Just wish I was closer.

Anyhow enough chatter...back on topic.

-Brian

SCOTYDEMCO
2009-04-18, 12:27 AM

I've gotta look for some new company along the fence because you've spent too much time in the air the past 2 years! :lol:

LOL. I always have your back at the fence Rob. I have some new equiptment for the fence this year. We'll make a fence day.

Chris S
2009-05-03, 11:37 AM
So, with only 3 short weeks to go, I was just curious if anyone has any new info yet on
where all the different demo teams will be based that weekend between FRG and ISP ??
I sure hope the construction project over by Republic's Terminal will be done by then ??!

Gerard
2009-05-03, 03:09 PM
>I sure hope the construction project over by Republic's Terminal will be done by then ??![/quote]<

When I was there last week it looks like they are wrapping it up.

Derf
2009-05-03, 03:52 PM
Thunderbirds stated that they can not have the huge dirt piles at the terminal or they would not come. The work will be done by the terminal and the dirt piles will be moved, but further down south, the taxiways will be under construction on the west side of the runway for the airshow. It should not impact airshow aircraft as the Thunderbirds will not be heading south to runway 1 as they will not have the arresting gear at that runway.

Everything else will be by the AAM and Sheltair so there will be no issue with construction other than a closed taxiway...good thing there are two! ;) Everything else MUST use the short runway due to the arresting gear (not sure of the snowbirds and other fast movers...talking about the planes with the big fans to keep the pilots cool on what should be a warm weekend!)

I hope this helps :D

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-03, 07:21 PM
Thunderbirds stated that they can not have the huge dirt piles at the terminal or they would not come. The work will be done by the terminal and the dirt piles will be moved, but further down south, the taxiways will be under construction on the west side of the runway for the airshow. It should not impact airshow aircraft as the Thunderbirds will not be heading south to runway 1 as they will not have the arresting gear at that runway.

Everything else will be by the AAM and Sheltair so there will be no issue with construction other than a closed taxiway...good thing there are two! ;) Everything else MUST use the short runway due to the arresting gear (not sure of the snowbirds and other fast movers...talking about the planes with the big fans to keep the pilots cool on what should be a warm weekend!)

I hope this helps :D
ouch, I dont blame for the threat because, I wouldnt want the rocks,and debris going into the planes.

Derf
2009-05-03, 07:55 PM
That is not possible where the dirt is..... and jet exaust goes back so it would blow the dirt towards Atlantic and not
towards the taxiway that will be closed. There is nothing but grass over there.

I do get your and their point. :)

Fly2e
2009-05-04, 11:56 AM
Is this still correct?

moose135
2009-05-04, 12:07 PM
It will be a NOAA P-3, but yes, it's still scheduled.

Fly2e
2009-05-04, 12:31 PM

Thanks...
Any idea of what time?

Gerard
2009-05-04, 03:41 PM
Is this still correct?

Now wouldnt it be ironic if it was cancelled due to bad weather?
:)

Big Tim #70
2009-05-04, 03:59 PM
Just saw on ASB that John Klatt pulled out.

That bums me out as he is one of my personal favs.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-04, 04:03 PM
Just saw on ASB that John Klatt pulled out.

That bums me out as he is one of my personal favs.
Where?! I am bummed too..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

EDIT:

We are currently taking over the site so the Super Hornet will be added soon. If you notice today, there is chalet/ticketing info posted and the Snowbirds have been added to the front page.

The Horsemen are now added (of course) and John Klatt has regretfully had to withdraw. We'll be launching a new microsite for Jones Beach by the end of the week.

8Qz3GjV2E1U

EDIT2: Any info on the warbirds?

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-04, 04:16 PM
Is this still correct?

Now wouldnt it be ironic if it was cancelled due to bad weather?
haha, unless it gets really bad I doubt they will cancel, does anyone know what they mean by event?

emshighway
2009-05-04, 06:26 PM

If you ask the right people that may not happen

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-04, 06:48 PM
http://www.warbirdsoverlongisland.com/

The warbirds say their mission will continue! But does anyone have word on the replacement?

Derf
2009-05-04, 10:15 PM
I think you are reading too much into that. I believe that it should read more like "Chris will continue to educate others on our rich aviation heritage. They sold the T-6 texan a while ago but still have the Stearman. Unfortunately Vinny has passed and he was the one who flew that...

I could not see them replacing Bob, it was not really like that. It was Bob who aquired all the aircraft and started Warbirds over Long Island and got to fly with his son after he came home from active service. Even IF I could talk to Chris about this, I would not.

I am going to be a mess the first time I see the P-51 fly again.

Steven Holzinger
2009-05-04, 11:40 PM
John Klatt has withdraw from appearing... don't know why yet.

Big Tim #70
2009-05-04, 11:44 PM
Is “Glamorous Gal” a Warbirds over Long Island aircraft or is it an AAM aircraft? Where is it hangered/displayed?

I ask because I saw pics from one of last weekends HF and it was the Glamorous Gal, just curious who flew her.

One of, if not my favorite birds.

moose135
2009-05-04, 11:47 PM
"Glamorous Gal" belongs to Warbirds Over Long Island, based out of Brookhaven, although she appears at most of the AAM events during the year. In the past, I've seen Ed Shipley fly her for HF, such as at McGuire last year:

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/306956053_nABnj-L-2.jpg

Fly2e
2009-05-05, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Good morning. Any word on what time she might be landing?
I brought my gear to my office so I can pop over there if I get a confirmation..
Thanks!!
Dave

fk6065
2009-05-05, 08:21 AM
Dave,

We all seem to be asking the same question in two different threads, LOL.

Fred

Fly2e
2009-05-05, 08:25 AM
Dave,
We all seem to be asking the same question in two different threads, LOL.
Fred
Thanks Fred! :D
Found the other thread...

Steven Holzinger
2009-05-06, 12:17 AM
Moose,

Snort flew her at McGuire and at Jones Beach last year. Shipley is not in the Heritage Flight program (I'll tell you the story sometime), and ACC says the HF this year is the A-10 & three P-51s. Wonder what that means..........

moose135
2009-05-06, 12:22 AM
Moose,

Snort flew her at McGuire and at Jones Beach last year. Shipley is not in the Heritage Flight program (I'll tell you the story sometime), and ACC says the HF this year is the A-10 & three P-51s. Wonder what that means..........
Thanks, Steve, I guess I heard that wrong. I did hear Snort flew her at Jones Beach last year. I wonder if the HF deal means that the A-10 will fly with the Horsemen team.

Big Tim #70
2009-05-06, 08:41 AM
Moose,

Thanks, Steve, I guess I heard that wrong. I did hear Snort flew her at Jones Beach last year. I wonder if the HF deal means that the A-10 will fly with the Horsemen team.

I thought Ship flew her at Jones Beach last year?

I do know that after the HF, she didn't come back to FRG. Must have headed out to Brookhaven I guess.

Do they have their own hanger out there or are they just in the mix with everybody else?

Derf
2009-05-06, 08:54 AM
Last year
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/302337299_HVbgt-L.jpg

Steven Holzinger
2009-05-06, 10:51 AM
Oops... my mistake! That is Shipley!

EDIT: Got my names wrong... during that three-week span last year, Glamorous Gal was in three different Heritage Flights, flown by two different pilots:

Andrews AFB: F-15E, F-22, QF-4E, P-51 (Snort)
Jones Beach: F-22, P-51 (Shipley)
McGuire AFB: F-15E, F-16, P-51 (Snort)

I'm almost 100% certain that Snort will be flying the Heritage Flight next weekend at Andrews. Which Mustang - remains to be seen. Won't know for sure until that very weekend. The Horsemen are in Chino that weekend flying an all-F8F Bearcat routine and maybe also the Mustang routine.

As far as the Heritage Flight at Jones Beach this year... I'm going to ask about it. Shipley was not at the Heritage Flight Conference and therefore is not recognized as a HF pilot this year. I know some drama went down that caused him to rescind from flying HFs in the later part of last year (the subject of which is not to be mentioned here or anywhere for that matter, but I will gladly be able to tell the story that I heard in private), so that makes me wonder...

Derf
2009-05-06, 10:57 AM
That was Saturday last year

Nick
2009-05-06, 07:24 PM
Well I'll be attending the show on Saturday as Joe Taxpayer and Sunday as a Crew Chief. Crewin the alert bird that hopefully isn't needed.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-07, 09:11 PM
I saw one of the airshow promo posters flying around here is a pic of this year:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2811/0507091925.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0507091925.jpg)

And its confirmed that WHLI (1100AM) will be broadcasting the Airshow live!

Nick
2009-05-09, 12:15 PM
There we are, bottom right!!

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-12, 04:19 PM
Only ten more days!! Does anyone have a clue of the times for the Snowbirds.

Gerard
2009-05-12, 08:08 PM
Only ten more days!! Does anyone have a clue of the times for the Snowbirds.

Patience lad. Patience.

fk6065
2009-05-12, 08:18 PM
The Snowbirds are participating in an event Wednesday evening May 20th in Novia Scotia. I would expect them to arrive sometime on Thursday.

SCOTYDEMCO
2009-05-13, 02:22 PM
T-Birds are coming in Tuesday. Snowbirds coming in Thursday. Friday practice is from 9-2 not 10-3.

moose135
2009-05-13, 03:39 PM
And so it begins...

Installation of the temporary arresting gear on Rwy 14/32 this afternoon.

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/535753798_FQGbh-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/535754115_8VvTp-L.jpg

Gerard
2009-05-13, 06:02 PM
T-Birds are coming in Tuesday. Snowbirds coming in Thursday. Friday practice is from 9-2 not 10-3.

Thanks for the heads up. Weather permitting I will be there Friday. Any idea of the schedule of the line-up? I would guess the
"Birds" performances would be spaced apart for a number of reasons.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-13, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Weather permitting I will be there Friday. Any idea of the schedule of the line-up? I would guess the
"Birds" performances would be spaced apart for a number of reasons.
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/U ... undeclared (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USNY0485?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared)

will w2lie.com have the frequencies? If not where can I obtain them?

Gerard
2009-05-13, 09:23 PM
>http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USNY0485?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared<

LOL thanks but I think I'll wait until next week for the weather. They can barely forecast tomorrow, never mind 10 days.

Chris S
2009-05-14, 05:16 PM
Scott,
Thanks the arrival day info for the T-birds and Snowbirds next week.
BTW, Do you know the approximate time yet when the T-Bird's C-17 will
be landing on Tuesday ? Just curious because it sure was WILD landing when
the C-17 came into FRG two years ago and I'd definitely like to catch it again :borat:
Thanks for your help,
Chris

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-16, 04:54 PM
W2lie.net is going to be broadcasting this show under the special feed, and they have all the frequencies we need for our scanners!

Also hear is a PDF of this years offical souvenir package:http://jonesbeachairshow.com/pdfs/Jones%20Beach%20Promo.pdf

Here is the Frequency list:
Frequency Description Mode
118.8 Republic Tower AM
279.65 Republic Tower AM
125.2 Republic Tower AM
122.95 Republic UNICOM AM
126.65 Republic ATIS AM
121.6 Republic Ground AM
269.6 Republic Ground AM
127.4 NY Approach AM
118.4 NY Approach AM
123.7 NY Approach AM
132.4 NY Approach AM
134.35 NY Approach AM
125.7 NY Departure AM
123.7 NY Departure AM
134.35 NY Departure AM
128.25 Republic Clearance AM

USAF Thunderbirds

Frequency Description Mode Status
413.25000 Analog Channel AM Active
413.02500 Analog Channel 1 AM Active
413.40000 Analog Channel 2 AM Active
216.77500 Announcer PA Feed (Ch 56) AM Active
413.00000 APCO-25 Frequency! P25 Active
413.35000 APCO-25 Frequency! P25 Active
413.37500 APCO-25 Frequency! P25 Active
901.50000 Comm Cart Headsets AM Active
905.35000 Comm Cart Headsets AM Active
235.20000 Control / ComCart / Cross Country AM Active
413.27500 Ground Maintenance NFM Active
413.32500 Ground Maintenance NFM Active
142.17500 Ground Maintenance (Replaced by 413.275 ?) AM Inactive
143.90000 Ground Maintenance (Replaced by 413.325 ?) AM Inactive
216.72500 PA Announcements / Music and Show Narriations (Ch 55) NFM Active
143.25000 Pre-Engine Start AM Active
142.57500 Program Audio / Air to Ground Coms AM Active
140.40000 Support Ops / X-Country Air-Air AM Active
216.97500 Team air show frequency mixer / Air to Air Simulcast (Ch 60) NFM Active
225.17500 Uniform 1 AM Active
235.25000 Uniform 1 - Show PA System / Pre-Engine / Solo Aircraft AM Active
322.95000 Uniform 2 - Engine Starts / Solo Aircraft (5-6) Air to Air AM Active
235.02500 Unknown AM Active
139.22500 Victor 1 AM Active
140.70000 Victor 1 AM Active
148.12500 Victor 1 AM Active
143.52000 Victor 1 - Diamond / X-Country Air to Air AM Active
139.80000 Victor 1 (Paired with 148.850) AM Active
143.70000 Victor 1 Diamond & Delta Formations (Paired with 150.150) AM Active
148.85000 Victor 2 - Alt Diamond (Paired with 139.800) AM Active
150.15000 Victor 2 - Alt Diamond (Paired with 143.700) AM Active
141.82500 Victor 2 - Alternate Diamond AM Active
141.85000 Victor 2 - Diamond / X-Country / PA System AM Active

More Military Performers:

123.15000 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
123.42500 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
123.45000 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
123.47500 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
127.15000 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
136.57500 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
136.67500 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
238.15000 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
282.80000 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
376.02500 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
384.55000 A-10 Heritage Flight AM
118.50000 A-10 Heritage Flight (Air to Air) AM
122.47500 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
123.15000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
123.47500 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
136.57500 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
138.05000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
138.10000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
138.20000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
138.25000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
138.30000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
138.47500 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
138.50000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
139.62500 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
139.67500 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
139.72500 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
139.80000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
139.90000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
139.97500 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
140.40000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
141.67500 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
142.20000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
225.50000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
236.85000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
251.20000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
269.90000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
283.70000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
305.40000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
327.70000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
341.50000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
343.00000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
376.02500 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
384.55000 A-10 Thunderbolt Demo Team AM
32.30000 Golden Knights AM
32.40000 Golden Knights AM
122.57500 Golden Knights AM
122.77500 Golden Knights AM
123.40000 Golden Knights AM
123.47500 Golden Knights AM
123.50000 Golden Knights AM
124.87500 Golden Knights AM
126.20000 Golden Knights AM
142.80000 Golden Knights AM
238.00000 Golden Knights AM
284.90000 Golden Knights AM
367.70000 Golden Knights AM
116.00000 Snowbirds AM
123.32500 Snowbirds AM
227.60000 Snowbirds AM
242.60000 Snowbirds AM
243.40000 Snowbirds AM
245.50000 Snowbirds AM
245.75000 Snowbirds AM
246.50000 Snowbirds AM
272.10000 Snowbirds AM
284.90000 Snowbirds AM
299.50000 Snowbirds AM
333.30000 Snowbirds AM
340.10000 Snowbirds AM
272.10000 Snowbirds (Primary) AM

Misc Military Frequencies

138.15000 Common Frequency AM
138.20000 Common Frequency AM
138.25000 Common Frequency AM
138.50000 Common Frequency AM
138.55000 Common Frequency AM
138.57500 Common Frequency AM
138.60000 Common Frequency AM
138.62500 Common Frequency AM
138.67500 Common Frequency AM
138.75000 Common Frequency AM
138.82500 Common Frequency AM
138.95000 Common Frequency AM
139.00000 Common Frequency AM
139.22500 Common Frequency AM
139.30000 Common Frequency AM
139.52500 Common Frequency AM
139.60000 Common Frequency AM
139.70000 Common Frequency AM
139.90000 Common Frequency AM
140.20000 Common Frequency AM
140.30000 Common Frequency AM
140.50000 Common Frequency AM
141.15000 Common Frequency AM
141.25000 Common Frequency AM
141.30000 Common Frequency AM
141.40000 Common Frequency AM
141.55000 Common Frequency AM
141.60000 Common Frequency AM
141.65000 Common Frequency AM
141.95000 Common Frequency AM
142.30000 Common Frequency AM
142.60000 Common Frequency AM
142.70000 Common Frequency AM
142.80000 Common Frequency AM
142.90000 Common Frequency AM
143.00000 Common Frequency AM
143.15000 Common Frequency AM
143.20000 Common Frequency AM
143.25000 Common Frequency AM
143.55000 Common Frequency AM
143.60000 Common Frequency AM
143.62500 Common Frequency AM
143.70000 Common Frequency AM
143.75000 Common Frequency AM
143.82500 Common Frequency AM
148.12500 Common Frequency AM
148.15000 Common Frequency AM
149.00000 Common Frequency AM
150.15000 Common Frequency AM
150.25000 Common Frequency AM
150.30000 Common Frequency AM
225.17500 Common Frequency AM
226.42500 Common Frequency AM
227.67500 Common Frequency AM
228.57500 Common Frequency AM
229.17500 Common Frequency AM
230.15000 Common Frequency AM
234.25000 Common Frequency AM
235.12500 Common Frequency AM
238.35000 Common Frequency AM
238.57500 Common Frequency AM
252.12500 Common Frequency AM
255.15000 Common Frequency AM
259.37500 Common Frequency AM
265.95000 Common Frequency AM
266.25000 Common Frequency AM
271.75000 Common Frequency AM
273.37500 Common Frequency AM
281.85000 Common Frequency AM
294.52500 Common Frequency AM
298.35000 Common Frequency AM
308.07500 Common Frequency AM
316.22500 Common Frequency AM
326.90000 Common Frequency AM
328.07500 Common Frequency AM
335.75000 Common Frequency AM
341.65000 Common Frequency AM
348.50000 Common Frequency AM
356.95000 Common Frequency AM
364.05000 Common Frequency AM
371.80000 Common Frequency AM
372.07500 Common Frequency AM
379.37500 Common Frequency AM

Civilian Performers - Main Frequencies

123.15000 Air Force Reserve Biplane - Ed Hammil AM
122.75000 Geico Skytypers AM
123.15000 Geico Skytypers AM
123.42500 Geico Skytypers AM
122.77500 Geico Skytypers Diamond AM
123.45000 Geico Skytypers Solos AM
120.60000 John Klatt AM
123.47500 John Klatt AM
122.72500 Red Bull Aerobatic Team AM
122.77500 Red Bull Aerobatic Team AM
122.82500 Red Bull Aerobatic Team AM
122.92500 Red Bull Aerobatic Team AM
123.15000 Red Bull Aerobatic Team AM
123.35000 Red Bull Aerobatic Team AM
118.70000 Sean Tucker AM
122.87500 Sean Tucker AM
122.95000 Sean Tucker AM
123.15000 Sean Tucker AM
123.45000 Sean Tucker AM
123.47500 Sean Tucker AM
118.75000 Tora Tora Tora Warbirds AM
122.85000 Tora Tora Tora Warbirds AM
122.87500 Tora Tora Tora Warbirds AM
123.15000 Tora Tora Tora Warbirds AM
123.45000 Tora Tora Tora Warbirds AM
469.50000 Tora Tora Tora Warbirds AM
469.55000 Tora Tora Tora Warbirds
AM

Civilian Performers - Generic Frequencies

122.72500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
122.75000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
122.77500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
122.82500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
122.85000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
122.87500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
122.92500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
122.95000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
122.97500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.02500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.05000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.07500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.15000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.17500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.30000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.32500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.35000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.40000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.42500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.45000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.47500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
123.50000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
129.65000 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
129.92500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
136.57500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM
136.97500 Civilain Acts - Common Freq AM

More frequencies that may have some activity:

138.01250 Civil Air Patrol (post 10/2007) NFM
140.63750 Civil Air Patrol (post 10/2007) NFM
142.22500 Civil Air Patrol (post 10/2007) NFM
143.90000 Civil Air Patrol (post 10/2007) NFM
148.17500 Civil Air Patrol (post 10/2007) NFM
148.77500 Civil Air Patrol (post 10/2007) NFM
150.16250 Civil Air Patrol (post 10/2007) NFM
150.56250 Civil Air Patrol (post 10/2007) NFM
150.63750 Civil Air Patrol (post 10/2007) NFM
143.75000 Civil Air Patrol (pre 10/2007) NFM
143.90000 Civil Air Patrol (pre 10/2007) NFM
148.12500 Civil Air Patrol (pre 10/2007) NFM
148.13750 Civil Air Patrol (pre 10/2007) NFM
148.15000 Civil Air Patrol (pre 10/2007) NFM
148.53750 Civil Air Patrol (pre 10/2007) NFM
148.97500 Civil Air Patrol (pre 10/2007) NFM
149.53750 Civil Air Patrol (pre 10/2007) NFM
396.87500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 1 AM
397.12500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 2 AM
397.17500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 3 AM
394.37500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 4 AM
397.42500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 5 AM
397.47500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 6 AM
397.55000 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 7 AM
397.95000 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 8 AM
398.05000 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 9 AM
399.42500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 10 AM
399.47500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 11 AM
399.72500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 12 AM
399.92500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 13 AM
399.97500 Inter-Squad Radio Ch 14 AM

GrummanFan
2009-05-16, 08:04 PM
The Jones Beach NOTAM has been filed. The air show box will be active at the following times:

Thursday, 12:30pm - 2:00pm
Friday, 9:00am - 2:00pm
Saturday, 10:00am - 3:30pm
Sunday, 10:00am - 3:30pm

The Thursday time slot would lead me to believe that the Thunderbirds will once again be practicing only on Thursday, while the Snowbirds will practice on Friday. Just my guess, however.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_9253.html

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-17, 05:52 PM
The AAM updated their website.
http://www.americanairpowermuseum.com/W ... ndex.aspx# (http://www.americanairpowermuseum.com/Website/Index.aspx#)

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-17, 06:38 PM
It looks like Sprint will livestream the show: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/New-York- ... -By-Sprint (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/New-York-Jones-Beach-Airshow-Live-By-Sprint)

moose135
2009-05-17, 10:54 PM
T-Bird 8 arrived late Sunday afternoon. Here's the crew chief checking the aircraft after parking.

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/539152113_BXj8B-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/539155701_Y5vvX-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/539163403_rh6QC-L.jpg

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-17, 10:59 PM
Wow the pictures came out good! They finally cleaned up all their junk around the plane.

moose135
2009-05-17, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I had to wait until they packed up and left. It was good meeting you out there tonight!

Chris S
2009-05-18, 10:01 AM
Moose,
As always GREAT shots !! Thanks for posting them !! :borat:

BTW, from the arrival schedule that was posted, I guess the Thunderbirds
are using a C-130 support aircraft instead of their usual C-17, huh ???

MORS-AB-ALTO
2009-05-18, 10:11 AM
I've heard C-17 all along, but this post has me worried. Globemaster III coming in over RT-110 is much more impressive than a Hercules. This year I was planning on taking pictures of motorist's faces waiting at the Airport Plaza intersection instead of the aircraft! Will have to wait and see.

moose135
2009-05-18, 10:29 AM
This is the first I've heard about a C-130 supporting the T-Birds. I know the past couple of years, we've had a C-130 in and out a few times during the week for various reasons (it was an RI ANG bird). That may be what some people are hearing. Sure hope we get the C-17 back in, that's an impressive sight on the ramp at FRG.

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-18, 03:03 PM
Maybe its a typo dan still has it up as a C-17 on long island aviation.

SCOTYDEMCO
2009-05-18, 04:05 PM
Nice shots Moose!

T-Birds wanted to use 3 Hercs. The C-17 is still a go as far as I know, coming in tomorrow so keep your cameras ready. I'll be at work.

moose135
2009-05-18, 05:06 PM
As I mentioned in the FRG thread, the Red Bull MiG-17 and BO-105 helicopter arrived today. Fred was there for the MiG arrival, sadly they came in after I left in the morning, and before I got back in the afternoon. They are parked between the AAM and Sheltair hangars.

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/539854284_C26f4-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/539853583_mFSC4-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/539853320_oiX3J-L.jpg

Derf
2009-05-18, 08:28 PM
Two quickies..... not level, sorry

http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/540014484_2NiJx-L.jpg
http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/540013708_sQJkt-L.jpg
a few hundred more but I can not do as I am at luch from work!

Liquid_Squelch
2009-05-19, 08:48 AM
For the 4th year running, you will be able to listen on line to the Air Show at Jones Beach (Long Island, NY) at w2lie.net
The audio will be running on my "Specialty" feed. Be sure to use WinAmp or iTunes and you will be able to "see" what frequency my scanner has stopped on.

The feed will start at 7am on Tuesday, May 19th - so that you may hear the Thunderbirds come into Republic Airport (Farmingdale, NY).

Frequencies for the stream are located at http://www.w2lie.net/airshow (which I see have already been ripped and posted one page back)

I will also be archiving the audio from the air show, and hope to put it on line when I get a chance.

You can track updates and feed activity on my site in the forums:
Long Island Live Scanner Feeds: http://www.w2lie.net/e107_plugins/forum ... c.php?4607 (http://www.w2lie.net/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?4607)

New Computer memory will be installed before this weekend's events. Hopefully this will allow for more users to listen to the stream.
73 - and Happy Listening!
Phil

nikon50bigma
2009-05-19, 10:44 AM
Glad to here the MIG made it up here from Andrews AFB, looking forward to seeing the afterburner on that thing again.
I was thinking about taking a ride to to FRG tomorrow, are there any arrivals left-like the Snowbirds and the A-10?
A while ago I pased by FRG to see that US Helicopter being towed away on a flatbed. I saw alot of black SUV's with tinted windows around the airport; is it still ok to pull over on New Highway for photos?

Big Tim #70
2009-05-19, 10:58 AM
FYI,

A movie/TV production studio rented out the parking lot next to the tower/56FG for a shoot today. I'm parked here now but they're keeping everybody away from the fence. THere is viewing available next to the terminal but you'd be best to park in the terminal lot and walk over.

They said it was just for today.

T-Bird 15, a C-130 departed @ 3:55 this afternoon after dropping off her cargo.

T-Bird 14, another C-130 arrived @ 4:15 with the rest of the gear...

Then as I was speaking W/Larry-51 (AirshowBuzz), Snowbird 11 made a high speed pass with full smoke. Really cool site to see.

moose135
2009-05-19, 04:25 PM
They're here...the Thunderbirds, that is.

They did use a C-130 for the T-Bird equipment (and a second one was in this afternoon).
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/540695825_k8Bib-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/540699980_MVYby-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/540701014_g5whQ-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/540701838_mdQwN-L.jpg

Wax on, wax off...the key to a shiny jet!
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/540703283_z5d3H-L.jpg

And once again Tim, I must have walked right past you without knowing it!

Fly2e
2009-05-19, 04:39 PM
I saw the C130 land this morning..

http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/kfrgdt011.JPG

http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/kfrgdt012.jpg

http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/kfrgdt013.jpg

And had to shoot the power plant of my most favorite biz jet!
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/kfrgdt014.jpg

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-19, 04:43 PM
FYI,

A movie/TV production studio rented out the parking lot next to the tower/56FG for a shoot today. I'm parked here now but they're keeping everybody away from the fence. THere is viewing available next to the terminal but you'd be best to park in the terminal lot and walk over.

They said it was just for today.

T-Bird 15, a C-130 departed @ 3:55 this afternoon after dropping off her cargo.

T-Bird 14, another C-130 arrived @ 4:15 with the rest of the gear...

Then as I was speaking W/Larry-51 (AirshowBuzz), Snowbird 11 made a high speed pass with full smoke. Really cool site to see. Snowbird 11 came today? If so what time?

ch2tdriver
2009-05-19, 05:07 PM
[quote="Big Tim #70":2ztfm7kq]FYI,

Then as I was speaking W/Larry-51 (AirshowBuzz), Snowbird 11 made a high speed pass with full smoke. Really cool site to see. Snowbird 11 came today? If so what time?[/quote:2ztfm7kq]

I must have just missed him as I left about 1pm after the T-Birds shut down. I had my scanner fully loaded and updated and I noticed it briefly crackled on Freq 272.100 which is a Snowbirds one, and it sounded distinctly military. I shrugged it off as possible bleed through from the T-Birds.

BTW, make sure you update your scanner with the latest T-Bird Freqs posted on w2lie.net and on MT. I heard nothing from the TBird Diamond using the 2007 freqs until they were over FRG. I rememembered what bank I added the new freqs in and turned it on. Sure enough I heard all the calls. The diamond was on 141.075.

Pete

Big Tim #70
2009-05-19, 05:19 PM
Snowbird 11 came today? If so what time?

He came in right after the C-130 @ 4:15.

I laughed because he was so polite. He must have thanked the tower for everything 4 times.

He made a pretty nice pass and a steep climb out to the east, circled around and landed on 14. It was a pretty cool surprise as I had turned my scanner down to speak with Larry.

BTW, T-Bird 7 was just cleared to take off on RW 14 and an immediate climb to 14,000... LOL, this is going to be good!

Big Tim #70
2009-05-19, 05:22 PM
And once again Tim, I must have walked right past you without knowing it!

LOL!

I was hidden a bit today. Technically, I'm working so I was in my truck on my computer sitting at the base of the tower. I'll be around tomorrow & Friday.

eric8669
2009-05-19, 05:38 PM
Just one from me.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/thunderbirds_1a.jpg

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-19, 05:42 PM
I just missed him. :x

Chris S
2009-05-19, 06:44 PM
Hopefully with Snowbird #11 in town already we'll be able to get an update now
on when exactly the rest of Snowbirds will be arriving on Thurs. morning :wink:

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-19, 07:20 PM
Hopefully with Snowbird #11 in town already we'll be able to get an update now
on when exactly the rest of Snowbirds will be arriving on Thurs. morning :wink:

Thursday, May 21st
(All Day) Thunderbirds Media Flights
(6:00am) Snowbirds Arrive
(8:00am) Two A-10s arrive
(~8:00am) Two F-18s arrive
(12:30pm - 2:00pm) Practice at Jones Beach (Thunderbirds or Snowbirds)
(12:30pm) Sean Tucker media flight
(3:00pm) Sean Tucker media flight

Im soooo bummed I left 15mins before #11 came.

fk6065
2009-05-19, 09:55 PM
Glad to here the MIG made it up here from Andrews AFB, looking forward to seeing the afterburner on that thing again.
I was thinking about taking a ride to to FRG tomorrow, are there any arrivals left-like the Snowbirds and the A-10?
A while ago I pased by FRG to see that US Helicopter being towed away on a flatbed. I saw alot of black SUV's with tinted windows around the airport; is it still ok to pull over on New Highway for photos?

You will have no trouble spotting at Republic it is a very friendly airport. You can even bring a ladder to stand on!

Only the T-Birds, David Windmiller, Team Oracle, and The Red Bull Mig & Helo have arrived.

Good luck.

fk6065
2009-05-19, 10:03 PM
A few from today,

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/540975166_ZEsGt-L.jpg
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/540975186_Exxee-L.jpg
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/540975126_b8C7Y-L.jpg
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/540975007_HPRnS-L.jpg
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/540975002_HN3Db-L.jpg
http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/540975068_DELrg-L.jpg

Looking forward to the rest of the week.

GrummanFan
2009-05-19, 11:38 PM
Wow, its only been day one...this thread is going to get ridiculous by Sunday :D

A few of my attempts. I think I'm having some serious color-balance issues, but I will bring that up in another post.

Oh, I wish I was that guy...
http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/541074126_73c5R-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/541073530_v7ZwD-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/541074313_9Fj88-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/541073881_8xF2A-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/541073297_hUwsp-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/541072601_unw6L-L.jpg

http://dfalk.smugmug.com/photos/541072898_vbWQP-L.jpg

the rest will be here: http://dfalk.smugmug.com/gallery/8268068_CyisJ#541072686_Ve3hk

mirrodie
2009-05-20, 12:08 AM
Whats with the missing door on that last one? For photo ops?

Looks like once again I will miss the show however,

Can anyone give a time as to when the Snowbirds and Tbirds would do a practice run on Friday? I may be able to catch the Jones Beach action on Friday if I have a timeframe.

Thanks for any help.

moose135
2009-05-20, 12:23 AM
Yes, Mario, that last guy was doing the media photo rides for Sean Tucker's planes.

Johnathaneric
2009-05-20, 03:34 AM
Heres a couple of my shots at the airport, Glad to meet up with you Moose....Good to see you again...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3547493863_d958c73d38_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2447/3547493643_612168ce1b_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/3548302422_8034f968d9_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/3548301990_bce97008c8_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3364/3548302938_6e8c33bf8e_b.jpg

Big Tim #70
2009-05-20, 06:27 AM
Whats with the missing door on that last one? For photo ops?

Flying under the callsign "Oracle 5"

Media flights for the Tuckers.

MORS-AB-ALTO
2009-05-20, 09:56 AM
A few from the T-birds arrival yesterday.

http://mors-ab-alto.smugmug.com/photos/541361900_MXEQG-L.jpg

http://mors-ab-alto.smugmug.com/photos/541361903_JfHU6-L.jpg

http://mors-ab-alto.smugmug.com/photos/541361887_LdY6L-L.jpg

Not much going on at Republic today so I'm going to take a pass although might swing by around 2pm on the way to work to catch some static shots. Much more activity tomorrow for sure and I'll be there by 08:00. It would surprise me if the A-10 and F-18 show up at that time but I'll play it safe. As far as the Snowbirds showing up at 06:00 I'll be a believer when I see it. NOTAM is filed for Jones Beach on 5/21 from 12:30 -14:00 and the T-birds are set for practice from 13:00 - 14:00. That leaves a half hour slot for the Snowbirds to survey the beach upon their arrival. So I'm gonna put my money on about a 12:50 ETA.

mirrodie
2009-05-20, 10:22 AM
NOTAM is filed for Jones Beach on 5/20 from 12:30 -14:00 and the T-birds are set for practice from 13:00 - 14:00.

May 20 is today WEdnesday. The Thunderbirds are going up today at 1300?

I may try 8 AM but we shall see on THursday.

Just trying to confirm for the practice show on Friday, is it known will it be a full run through like on Thursdays?

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-20, 11:04 AM
There is a sign at the main terminal that says snowbirds-12:30 on 5/21 but I would not believe it because it was wrong on tuesday with the thunderbirds.

ch2tdriver
2009-05-20, 12:05 PM
From ASB:

This is a TENTATIVE timeline as I'm sure it has already changed by now, but I thought it would give you guys a better idea of what may happen. Friday's practice show will run one hour earlier.

10:00 – 10:30 Golden Knight Flag/Jump
10:31 – 10:41 David Windmiller
10:42 – 10:52 Red Bull Mig
10:53 – 11:03 Red Bull Helicopter, Parachuters
11:04 – 11:14 Matt Chapman
11:15 – 12:00 Canadian Forces Snowbirds
12:01 – 12:13 Warbirds
12:14 – 12:39 A-10 & Heritage
12:40 – 12:58 GEICO Skytypers
12:59 – 1:12 Ed Hamill
1:13 – 1:28 F-18 Demo
1:29 – 1:39 The Horsemen Horseman
1:40 – 1:55 Sean Tucker
2:00 – 2:45 Thunderbirds
2:46 – 3:21 106th Rescue Wing

MORS-AB-ALTO
2009-05-20, 12:15 PM
My bad Mario. NOTAM was for 5/21 NOT today.

SCOTYDEMCO
2009-05-20, 04:17 PM
Oh Rob.

I like that first one!

Gerard
2009-05-20, 05:59 PM
From ASB:

This is a TENTATIVE timeline as I'm sure it has already changed by now, but I thought it would give you guys a better idea of what may happen. Friday's practice show will run one hour earlier.

10:00 – 10:30 Golden Knight Flag/Jump
10:31 – 10:41 David Windmiller
10:42 – 10:52 Red Bull Mig
10:53 – 11:03 Red Bull Helicopter, Parachuters
11:04 – 11:14 Matt Chapman
11:15 – 12:00 Canadian Forces Snowbirds
12:01 – 12:13 Warbirds
12:14 – 12:39 A-10 & Heritage
12:40 – 12:58 GEICO Skytypers
12:59 – 1:12 Ed Hamill
1:13 – 1:28 F-18 Demo
1:29 – 1:39 The Horsemen Horseman
1:40 – 1:55 Sean Tucker
2:00 – 2:45 Thunderbirds
2:46 – 3:21 106th Rescue Wing

Arent the Birds/Angels usually the closers?

ch2tdriver
2009-05-20, 06:02 PM
Yeah....I found that interesting too.

Has anyone heard about the special event at the AAM starting at 6:00 pm on Saturday?

"Ask us how you can be among those select few attending the special sponsors & air show performance reception on Saturday night, May 23rd at 6:00 p.m., when a special dusk patrol of bombers and fighters take to the sky, music plays, shake hands with our pilots, enjoy refreshments and linger as the sun sets over the flight line. Space is limited and advance reservations only. Contact us through this web site to hold your place for Airpower’s “Dusk Patrol.”

I sent an email for more info.

Pete

Big Tim #70
2009-05-20, 06:07 PM

Yes.

I don't get this...

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-20, 06:55 PM
Maybe they are just not doing it in order, and if you are going to hang around KFRG the whole day it doesnt really matter.

Also there goes all the media flights, I was looking forward to see the Kjoy host to go up.

nikon50bigma
2009-05-20, 11:05 PM

Last weekend at Andrews AFB, we had the heritage flight, F-22 demo, A-10 demo and a flag jump finish off after the T-Birds.

moose135
2009-05-21, 01:07 AM
Fifteen hours on the ramp on Wednesday makes for one tired Moose. Did want to share a few shots from today before I head off to bed and Thursday's great adventure.

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/542031816_BF6C4-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/542031389_6U2Si-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/542032413_oqjWB-L.jpg

Fighting_falcon_51
2009-05-21, 06:14 AM
Wow, I do have to say it was worth it.

mirrodie
2009-05-21, 10:54 AM
Are the Snowbirds there yet?

SPEEED
2009-05-21, 11:12 AM
Weather is going to suck this year. Showers on Sat., and thunder storms on Sun. Which day (from a weather standpoint) is better?

Big Tim #70
2009-05-21, 01:49 PM
Weather is going to suck this year. Showers on Sat., and thunder storms on Sun. Which day (from a weather standpoint) is better?

I couldn't tell from a distance but I think I just saw the Snowbirddies coming in. Either that or the T-Birds were orbiting the airport. I could only see the colors but couldn't make out the planes.

I've been toiling with the same thing all week. I've gone back and forth 5 times but I think I'm going to try for Sat. They're calling for showers but for later in the day. Hopefully, we can squeeze the high flyers in before the clouds get too thick.

ch2tdriver
2009-05-21, 02:23 PM
I just got back from the fence on New Highway where I spent lunch. I caught the T-Birds departure and arrival. The arrival was nothing special as they came in pairs of 2 and just did a high break, no low passes. Home Depot lot would have been the place to be.

While waiting I caught the action on my scanner and saw the top of some of the high manuevers from New Highway. I also picked up an HH-60 from the 106th on 287.500. They were on station over captree and were looking for the airboss on 128.25. So it looks like that will be active as airboss again this year.

Pete

Big Tim #70
2009-05-21, 03:15 PM
Just got to the airport in time to see the Snowbirds come in. Very boring straight in RWY 14 landing. They must have had a crappy morning because they didn't even do a fly over of the airport.

moose135
2009-05-21, 05:27 PM
Home Depot lot would have been the place to be.
Maybe, and then again... :wink:
http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/542508169_GeJWT-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/542508344_yrsyY-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/542508578_8bpoq-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/542509058_LR8qv-L.jpg

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/542506902_MTqWy-L.jpg

Snowbirds arrived around 3:20. First 6 arrived in a gaggle, making single-ship straight-in approaches to Rwy 14, where several of us were camped out waiting for them.

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/542507686_aj3uV-L.jpg

Then we saw a two-ship heading north, pass the airport, turn in, and come up initial for Rwy 19, trailing smoke, before making an overhead break and landing Rwy 19. We were not amused! :(

Gerard
2009-05-21, 09:23 PM
Anyone go down to the beach today? My daughter txt messages me that the "air show was on", "they were loud" and
"scary" and "they were all screaming and laughing". A perspective from a 14 year old girl. :D
I'll be down there tomorrow which actually looks to be the best day of the weekend. I'll be the guy by the shoreline
chilling out in my beach chair. LOL!!
Sunday is my only other available day and I'm still not sure what I want to do yet.

PhilDernerJr
2009-05-21, 09:32 PM
I'll be the guy by the shoreline
chilling out in my beach chair.

I laughed unnecessarily loud when I read that. haha

Gerard
2009-05-21, 09:45 PM
I'll be the guy by the shoreline
chilling out in my beach chair.

I laughed unnecessarily loud when I read that. haha

Man i am soooooo looking forward to that. Work has been extremely busy and I have four days off. Started today with a half
day, "Star Trek" movie and a nice hour or so spotting at a pretty busy East 34st Heliport.
So go ahead and laugh!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steven Holzinger
2009-05-21, 10:58 PM
I'm making the trip up tomorrow morning and hope to pull into FRG before 8 am. I heard the Horsemen will be in before 8, and I hope to be able to catch them coming in. Will be staying through Monday.