PDA

View Full Version : KEWR & The Ikea Guestapo

Planesntrains
2009-01-18, 09:13 AM
Anybody go over to the cafe at Ikea in the past couple months? Any new problems? I need a few cheap cabinets, so I'm contemplating doing some registration logs. No photos.

Delta777LR
2009-01-23, 08:53 PM
I got kicked out of the cafe in Ikea for taking pictures from the window at the table. Right when I was in the middle of eating lunch.

flyboy 28
2009-01-23, 11:42 PM
I never had a problem while at the cafe. Of course, that was before I had a beefy SLR with the big prying lens... Just the Mall cops like to give a hard time while outside taking photos. I don't take only regs, so if you have a set of binocs, I dunno what to tell you. I found that sitting between two big SUVs on a busy day in the parking lot gives you enough wiggle room to not be conspicuous.

LGA777
2009-01-24, 02:37 PM
I have made multiple visits to the cafe in the last year to watch the action only, no camera. On all visits was with my wife and daughter, we purchased lunch/dinner, and on every visit overstayed by usally about double the time the average diner would spend their, and once for two hours. No hassels at all, and frankly had a great time just watching the traffic. Sometimes it's nice/fun just to watch and not worry about a camera. As far as getting logs the only problem I see is binaculars would probably draw a lot of attention.

I love hanging their when there on the 4's especially, you are so close to the action. For anyone who has never been their keep in mind you are looking right into the sun during the buisiest time of day.

I have spent a lot of time in the parking lot of nearby Jersey Gardens Mall and again just watching while my wife shops. While private security is driving around a lot I would think leaving a DSLR with a large lense on the seat and shooting out the open car window when something interesting departs could probably be gotten away with. I usally park near Bed Bath & Beyond which is in the southeast corner of the mall and you should be able to obtain nice banking shots off 22L from their with only a fraction of the malls lots being in site of you.

Good Luck

LGA777

Planesntrains
2009-01-24, 07:03 PM
Thanks gents. Think I'll probably just take everybody's advice and head over to Planeview. Seems like some specs, a logbook, and a good seat would be less of a problem. Besides, I'm used to getting approached outdoors from my railfan interests, so that wouldn't worry me so much. Maybe Howard Beach when it warms up.

I'm wondering how that deli over by the end of the runway is for a lunch with a view at LGA.