PDA

View Full Version : Boeing P-8I Selected by the Indian Navy

Midnight Mike
2009-01-06, 12:50 PM
Boeing P-8I Selected as Indian Navy's Long-Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/090106/aqtu519.html?.v=40

ST. LOUIS, Jan. 6 -- The Government of India has selected The Boeing Company to provide eight P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft to the Indian navy. The P-8I is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy.

India is the first international customer for the P-8. Boeing will deliver the first P-8I within 48 months of the contract signing, and the remaining seven by 2015.

"The men and women of The Boeing Company are pleased that India has selected the P-8I," said Jim Albaugh, president and CEO of Boeing Integrated Defense Systems (IDS). "This aircraft will provide outstanding capabilities tailored to India's unique maritime-patrol requirements."

The P-8I is a true multi-mission maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) that features greater flexibility and a broader range of capabilities than MPAs currently in service. The P-8I can operate effectively over land or water while performing anti-submarine warfare missions; search and rescue; maritime interdiction; and long-range intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance.