PDA

View Full Version : JFK March 2009

EDDHspotter
2009-01-05, 11:57 AM
Hello

my name is Marcel Hohl : I am from Hamburg Germany. I am in New York from March 7th till 19th.
I will spend 4 days at JFK and 1 day at LGA for spotting. Can you give me some information about the runways ? (which rwy for landing and which for departure?) . Is there any system about the airlines . for example all asian planes land on 31L ore something else ?

Thank yout very much and sorry for my english :?

http://www.eddhspotter.de

moose135
2009-01-05, 12:48 PM
Welcome to NYCA, Marcel! Glad to have you join us.

It's much too early to know what runways will be in use while you are here. They change, often two or three times a day, based on the winds, noise abatement, and other factors. The good news is that you can call ATIS for both JFK and LGA before you head out to see where you should go. If the winds are out of the Northwest, which is often the case during the winter, they will use 31L/R for arrivals, and 31L for departures (that's when we get those "Howard Beach" bank shots. If they are using the 31s for arrivals, most of the European and Asian traffic typically will go to 31R, the one notable exception is the Emirates A380 which uses 31L due to taxiway constraints after landing.

Your best bet is to check the spotting maps here on NYCA, and post a note as your trip gets closer. You will generally find that if some of us are free when you are in town, someone will be happy to meet you and help show you around.

Thank yout very much and sorry for my english :?
Trust me, your English is much better than my German :wink:

EDDHspotter
2009-02-21, 06:20 AM
Hello guys

my visit to JFK gets closer (7th march til 19th march) . If i see the pictures, they often use runway 31R and L. What is the best spot there ? costco,firestone, burger king ???. And if runway 22L is in use for landing. Is there any other location as on the map, because 400mm is a lot for a arrival shot....and which runway use the 380 if runway 22L is in use ?

Thanks
Kind Regards
Marcel Hohl

www.eddhspotter.de (http://www.eddhspotter.de)

G-BOAD
2009-02-22, 11:49 AM
Firestone is the spot most of us gather around for 31R arrivals. In this spot you need a long focal length, around 320mm for smaller planes (320's), and a little more then 200mm for larger planes.
The 380 can land on 22L. There is a park under the flightpath for 22L which you can get much closer, so a 400mm will not be required. (you can look on google maps, it's the park with Conselyeas Pond) I think 120mm should be fine for that location.
Hope you enjoy your stay!

EDDHspotter
2009-02-28, 05:12 AM
Ok . Thank you.
I hope I will meet somebody of you.

kind regards
marcel hohl

www.eddhspotter.de (http://www.eddhspotter.de)

Delta777LR
2009-03-02, 02:03 AM
I might be at JFK on March 7th.. You can PM me if u like more info..

EDDHspotter
2009-03-05, 04:24 AM
At which weekend is the wintertime changing to summertime in New York ?

kind regards
Marcel

Mateo
2009-03-05, 08:03 PM
The change is this weekend. The clocks change at 0200L on Sunday, the 8th, meaning Sunday is the first day with later sunset.

N186BD
2009-03-06, 12:25 PM
Hey guys-
First off, I've been planespotting- with my eyeballs, not a camera- for quite some time. It started when I lived under the paths of 31L/R and waking up to an incoming Concorde.

Anywho, because of the great forcast for this weekend, I'd like to get my feet wet and start photographing aircraft. I've read the article regarding spotting locations; but from personal experience traveling between spots on public transportation is a bit tricky. So I was wondering if anyone else was planning on going out this weekend, and maybe could offer a newbe some tips.

Thanks!
Will