PDA

View Full Version : TSA Public Meeting On Proposed General Aviation Security

cancidas
2009-01-02, 02:30 PM
from AOPA:

TSA Will Be Hosting a Public Meeting on its latest proposal that targets general aviation – the Large Aircraft Security Program in your area on Tuesday, January 6, 2009!

In response to a request from AOPA, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will be holding a public hearing on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at Westchester County Airport (HPN), Building 1 Airport Road, White Plains, NY 10604. We are sending you this special notice in the hope that you can attend and make your voice heard. It is important that TSA hears from pilots that its new proposal raises serious concerns across the general aviation community.

The meeting will begin at 9:00 am with registration starting at 8:00 am. Participants wishing to present an oral statement at the meeting must register in person between 8:00 am and 9:00 a.m. on the day of the meeting and provide your name and affiliation. See notice published in the Federal Register for additional information http://download.aopa.org/epilot/2008/081216lasp.pdf

AOPA members have made it clear in response to a survey and in comments to the Association that they are concerned by the attempt to make GA aircraft over 12,500 lbs. flown under Part 91 comply with the same security requirements as commercial carriers. This proposal includes a number of initiatives – flight crewmember criminal history record checks, watch list matching of passengers, checking passengers and baggage for dangerous weapons, and biennial third party audits of each aircraft operator. In summary, the proposed rule represents an unprecedented intrusion on general aviation because it would apply commercial standards to GA operations. AOPA also is concerned about the proposal because the TSA has provided no justification for setting the aircraft weight requirement at 12,500 pounds. The Association fears it could expand to all sizes of GA aircraft. Equally alarming is a requirement that aircraft operators use and pay for third-party auditors to perform a government function.

Each speaker will be allowed three minutes to explain to TSA the impact of this rule. AOPA’s Vice President, Aviation Security, Craig Spence will also be attending the meeting and will be available to discuss this proposal with you.

If you cannot attend it is still important that you make your voice heard by submitting comments to the official docket. For more information on the proposed rule or to find out how to submit your comments visit the AOPA member action center at http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/gasecurity/ .

Your voice can make a difference, show up and explain to TSA just how the proposed LASP will impact your flying! Your fellow pilots are depending on your help!

Andy Cebula
Executive Vice President, Government Affairs

i know it's last minute, i just got them email a few minutes ago. i was hoping this was going to happen relatively soon but wasn't expect it to happen tommorow. was planning on attending but can't get tommorow off from work. can any of our few GA pilots aboard make this meeting?

emshighway
2009-01-02, 08:57 PM
It's not the only meeting but the first one for the East. There have been regulations pertaining to 12,500 lb. aircraft for a long time. This designation was originally made by the FAA.

These for the most part are either large aircraft or transcon jets that can do a lot of damage.

cancidas
2009-01-02, 09:33 PM
These for the most part are either large aircraft or transcon jets that can do a lot of damage.
there are King Airs that weight more than 12,500. i just don't like the idea that if a person owns an airplane like a king air and uses it for his business, that they would be required to ahve the TSA screen the pax. i know of several ag companies based out of SNS that use King Air 350s to fly from home to the fields where they grow thier crops in AZ and NM. they own thier own hangars and are nowhere near the terminal building or TSA offices.

emshighway
2009-01-02, 09:52 PM
They use 12,500 as a guideline. What I've seen it isn't as all inclusive as you may believe. Also the passenger doesn't have to be brought to a checkpoint.

I know people in the TSA don't like the third party audit part.

Congress is pushing this...